User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have seen the light; the worlds best rear blinky light is out now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I have seen the light; the worlds best rear blinky light is out now.

I ride as the sun sets a good deal. I was formally a year round bike commuter in the city, rain, snow, grime, all that. Although I do live in the mountains now, there are even less bikes on the dark mountain roads at night. Which means cars are looking for you less. So I went looking for a new rear light.

Enter the NiteRider Solas.

NiteRider makes a USB rechargeable, LiPo powered 2 watt light with a bolt on mount! All for only $40. Seriously 2 years ago this light would have cost you hundreds of dollars. The previously heralded champ is the PB superflash, which is only 1/2 of a watt and is not rechargeable.

This thing is awesome. More pics and stuff: robonza: Review: Niterider Solas Rechargeable Rear Light

Its crazy how bright it is.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: I have seen the light; the worlds best rear blinky light is out now.

Excellent. I'm also a big fan of the Planet Bike Superflash. My major issue with that one is water resistance, it gets waterlogged in the rain and while it still works, the switch gets screwy and it can randomly turn off, on, or switch modes.

Please let us know if this one does better in the wet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I have seen the light; the worlds best rear blinky light is out now.

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Please let us know if this one does better in the wet.
    It doesn't actually rain here that often... I'll snow test it soon! But the case is screwed together unlike the clip on case of the PB Superflash, which would lead me to believe it has to be better. But I'll let you know.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for pointing this out, putting it on my Christmas list.

Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been using a Light & Motion Vis 180 for the past couple years, and highly recommend it.
    Blindingly bright, and the blink mode is more of a pulse than a seizure-inducer. The amber lights are truly visible 180 degrees (I check myself out in shop windows way too often.)
    The USB charge is on one of the sides and is well sealed- how is the Nite Rider seal? Seems the last place you'd want to put it is on the bottom.
    It was expensive but I got it on sale and you can't put a price on staying visible.
    vis180_1.jpg

They just came out with a micro version for $50
    vis180micro_life_2.jpg

I use a Superflash as a second light strapped to my bag once the dark commutes begin.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joe, thanks l,ooks like I will give one a try.

for the lumen crowd, 2 watts = 120 lumens
    life is too short to drink bad wine....

Stuart Levy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dangnambit!
    i just got the 1W cherry bomb
    guess i get another new toy!
    "make the break"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is cool. I picked up one of the Blackburn Flea usb recharable lights for the front a few weeks back, it seems great so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They seem to be trading on SOLAS (Safety Of Life At Sea) as in solas tape - SOLAS Reflective Coast Guard Marine Tape

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    I've been using a Light & Motion Vis 180 for the past couple years, and highly recommend it.
    Blindingly bright, and the blink mode is more of a pulse than a seizure-inducer. The amber lights are truly visible 180 degrees (I check myself out in shop windows way too often.)
    The USB charge is on one of the sides and is well sealed- how is the Nite Rider seal? Seems the last place you'd want to put it is on the bottom.
    It was expensive but I got it on sale and you can't put a price on staying visible.
    vis180_1.jpg

They just came out with a micro version for $50
    vis180micro_life_2.jpg

I use a Superflash as a second light strapped to my bag once the dark commutes begin.
    +1 on the Light & Motion, and they are made in the USA as a bonus. These things are like pieces of jewelry in your hands, and they have great customer support.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GSmith View Post
    +1 on the Light & Motion, and they are made in the USA as a bonus. These things are like pieces of jewelry in your hands, and they have great customer support.
    I own several L&M things including the Vis180 taillight. I also just got the Taz 1200 headlight which is seriously bright and relatively compact. And sef-contained, which is really nice.

I will admit that in addition to their rubber band type mount I wish they had a bolt on as well for a more permanent mounting. I like that about my Cateye TL-LD100, which is also a nice taillight option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are the Niterider products still made in San Diego?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by th_boone View Post
    That is cool. I picked up one of the Blackburn Flea usb recharable lights for the front a few weeks back, it seems great so far.
    I've been using the Flea for nearly two years and it has been reliable in all sorts of weather. It seems to take about 3-4 hours to charge, but that's good for 5-6 three hour rides. I use a taillight whether its sunny or not, so I will try Joe's recommendation, as I agree that you can't be too visible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been a Superflash user for a few years now, and in the rain sometimes I wrap it in plastic wrap (saran wrap, stretch tite, etc.) The NiteRider looks great though. Maybe I'll upgrade.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the thread. I've been using the highest powered Superflash (one on the bike, one on the bag) and it's okay. I've found it burns through rechargeables in no time and will often shut itself off in the cold.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been using the PDW Radbot 1000 mounted to my seat stay day and night. It's a 1 watt LED (with a reflector), and it seems pretty bright. No problems with water resistance so far. I might pick this one up and migrate the PDW to my commuting bag.

The standard SuperFlash is weak. My life is worth a couple more dollars. Strictly speaking of that particular product versus what's available today. I do give them credit for starting the cheap and bright taillight wars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by winmonster View Post
    I've been using the PDW Radbot 1000 mounted to my seat stay day and night. It's a 1 watt LED (with a reflector), and it seems pretty bright. No problems with water resistance so far. I might pick this one up and migrate the PDW to my commuting bag.

The standard SuperFlash is weak. My life is worth a couple more dollars. Strictly speaking of that particular product versus what's available today. I do give them credit for starting the cheap and bright taillight wars.
    Winmonster, just an FYI that Spokes has them in stock. I will be picking up one tonight to use for tomorrow's commute.
    life is too short to drink bad wine....

Stuart Levy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is timely as my PB Superflash disappeared a couple of weeks ago...? stolen, lost? At any rate, I need a replacement for this winter's commuting season and will look into the options presented here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GSmith View Post
    Another +1 on the Light and Motion Vis 180. So bright I don't take it when I may meet up with a group...it can be distracting to anyone on your wheel (so I've been told). I use a combination of the blackburn flea and PB superflash for those days. But they feel like junk compared to the L&M Vis 180 build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A steady rear light is a superior solution. Also consider that the dreaded run down from behind is the least common type of cycling accident.
    Nice looking light, though I think a dynamo powered light is a better deal for a commuter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast