User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how much is too much (cost of racing)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default how much is too much (cost of racing)?

there's been a lot of chatter locally (New England) about the cost of races. it started with the Verge cyclocross series racing rates and now we see battenkill roubaix is charging $70+ for a road race.

i've cut back on the 'cross racing this season and have instead done some really great rides with friends and teammates that don't cost anything but time.

are others seeing higher and higher prices for races in their area? are you choosing to cut back on your racing due to the promoters higher prices? it's not that i don't have the money. lately it just seems that spending more of my money for these events is less and less appealing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, it is costing ton's of frns just to purchase bike equipment .

I sure don't have the frns laying around for 100 frn entry fees.
    The Definitive Performance Wrap
    www.HandleBra.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup ... been seeing higher race fees here locally too, but mostly for road stuff. Our cross races are all the same price ... $25 pre-reg, $30 day of. There was a crit a season or two ago that was $60+ ... forget that ... definitely not value for money. I'm not really chasing points on the road so it doesn't matter to give some of these events a miss.
    Goosebumps never lie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    instead done some really great rides with friends and teammates that don't cost anything but time.

it's not that i don't have the money. lately it just seems that spending more of my money for these events is less and less appealing.
    I think you've answered your own question.... You want to ride and not race.

Perhaps your question should read "why racing is less appealing to me?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Despite overcrowded fields, higher fees THEY KEEP GOING TO RACES!!!

Gosh.

Beats gettin' poked in the eye with a sharp stick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my personal take here is... i havent had a license for 2 years.
    i drive too much
    i hate driving on weekends
    i have great local rides with my friends..rides are 3-4 hrs depending on the season.
    i am really tired at the end.
    cant do long saturday ride if some stupid race sunday.
    net= not worth it

im happy to pay whatever for a rdie like d2r2.. more or less epic event and worth taking a day for.

the races are often/ usually 1 hr more or less and involve 2 hrs each way drive= all day, 1 hr race. the math doesnt work for me. i enjoy the race portion usually. its too much effort.

as always said by the master ( john green ).
    racing interferes with riding/ cant do both.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's about priorities. For me, these races are important and I'm happy to pay the fees. Hi fees might mean I'm more discerning about what races I do attend this year. But, I just forked over $1000 for my team to do Battenkill. It'll be one of the best weekends of the year. Worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's about priorities. For me, these races are important and I'm happy to pay the fees. High fees might mean I'm more discerning about what races I do attend this year. But, I just forked over $1000 for my team to do Battenkill. It'll be one of the best weekends of the year. Worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Curious George View Post

i would race a lot more if it cost $20/race but the higher entry fees have opened my eyes to the appeal of a free ride with friends, whether we're attacking the shit out of each other or just enjoying pastries on balloon tires.

what are the prices like in NZ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mt Washington hill climb entry fee is $350 and the cost of an Ironman triathlon is up to $550. Holy moly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Curious George View Post

I was thinking the same thing.
    Sometimes we do go through periods where racing may not be that appealing.

For me I don't have lots of funds so I just pick and choose those I prefer doing, because I never, ever, ever win anything to get back any monies. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ols View Post
    Mt Washington hill climb entry fee is $350 and the cost of an Ironman triathlon is up to $550. Holy moly.
    With that kind of money you get to the point where it might be worth it to fly over to Belgium and do some races there !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

those of you who have done the mt washington race know its truly a collection of crackpots.
    there are probably 20 racers there.
    there are 450 riders who do this event only
    and there are 100 " i wanna do this once "

people show up on full suspension bikes for gods sake.

lunatic city

i was a "wanna do this once"
    you could not pay me to do it again

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It should be in the interest of any player in the bike industry to keep race fees low. After all races are the complement "product" of bikes and bike stuff.
    Btw I'm not that smart but I just read this.

I guess Shimano marketing guys know their stuff better than the first random guy with an internet connection, but still I think it would make economic sense for them to sponsor races by reducing entry fees.

Competitivecyclist seems to have figured this out with their weekly races, probably many other shops around the world too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah the racing has changed in certain districts. It really makes two other options besides weekend races more tempting:

1 - Going for a nice long ride door to door no car and really enjoying the day.

2 - Doing weekly training races for (what used to be less that $10) now $15. ...And riding to said trainig race..

Certain categories are filled and some have low attendance. Depends on the district and the Cat. Its all about the vibe for me. Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was in line at Sterling getting my number this morning and there was a Cat 4 next to me signing up day of and buying a one day license. The race was $30, the day of fee was $10 and the one day license was $10, so this guy forked over $50 for a 30 minute race at 8:30 in the morning. I know a race has to cover costs, but this just seamed wicked high for a an amatuer getting his feet wet.
    Anthony Maietta
    Web Site | Blog | Flickr
    "The person who says it can not be done, should not interrupt the person doing it."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anthonymaietta View Post
    I was in line at Sterling getting my number this morning and there was a Cat 4 next to me signing up day of and buying a one day license. The race was $30, the day of fee was $10 and the one day license was $10, so this guy forked over $50 for a 30 minute race at 8:30 in the morning. I know a race has to cover costs, but this just seamed wicked high for a an amatuer getting his feet wet.
    There are plenty of training races that cost 10 bucks a pop on a weeknight, and plenty of spring crits that cost 15-20 dollars a race.

In NE we have a sat series and a sun series that is 15-20 bucks each pre-regged. Great races, well organized, well attended.

I prefer these races to the bulk of the latter season races, especially because people aren't testosterone'ed up yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by frenk View Post
    It should be in the interest of any player in the bike industry to keep race fees low. After all races are the complement "product" of bikes and bike stuff.
    Bike racers are generally crappy customers. Most that I know haven't paid full price for a big ticket item in years and years. From a business perspective, I totally understand why some shops choose to ignore racing with their marketing efforts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aren't they worth what they're worth to "you". I mean really, entry fees like that are still cheap as hell. Without going off the deep end, [pun intended] go race blue water Maxi boats to put things in perspective.

My bike racing days are long past [I think] but after fooling around with horses [$200 entry fees] and sporting clays [$400-$700 per big event entry] even everyday sports like those make bike entries the deal of the century.

A $40 difference in entry price wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if it was something I wanted to do. Nor would $100.

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Entertainment

Have to look at it as entertainment. It surely isn't going to be making anyone any money in prizes. Think about how much folks are paying for high-tech race wheels, then consider the entry in relation to that. Still cheap. Consider the road policing, etc. > road races are expensive to put on. Unless they're crits or circuit races, which seem to be the way to go to me. Hey, the World's is a circuit race.

Even century ride entry fees are getting up there. I don't race anymore, but do enjoy the 100 milers and appreciate the trouble organizers go through to set them up.

Perhaps the high cost of putting on a race and the resultant high fees will prompt some to start a cheaper style of racing. Like the small circuit races, club time trials, hill climbs. The BUMP hillclimb series in the NE seemed to be a good concept...

Thom

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast