Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How does stem length and bar reach effect handling when total reach is held constant?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Triskeliongirl View Post
    Try the pic again.....
    that looks very proportional. hard to tell the wheel size from the pic, so that tells my "inner fitter" that 650c rocks for you. *most* gals will want the bars right around the seat height. DISCLAIMER: i don't claim to "fit" of build bikes for "racers" i build bikes for people who ride. i do build allot of women's bikes, inc. some really small ones..........Steve.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

do a search on the seven thread in the gallery and have a look a taylorj's seven (hopefully the image is still there). it takes a good eye to get a small bike to look right... and its awesome you found a stock frame that works for you.
    shrink, terrorist, poet, president of concerned cyclists for the abolishment of bovine source bicycle parts and head of the disaffected commie dishwashers union.

Post Thanks / Like

By the time I was back she was mine, I even cried on the test ride, and had to pull over and call my husband and tell him how she felt.
    Hi Triskeliongirl:

Since this is an open forum, I took the liberty of forwarding your above post (in complete form) and sent the link to this thread to Phil White, founder and owner of Cervelo. I don't work for Cervelo nor am I close to Mr. White, but I know Phil through a mutual friend, and I believe he would be touched by your strong, positive response to the Cervelo RS.

Post Thanks / Like

If you guys are interested, here is a link to one of my terrys, at Bilenky's site:
    http://www.bilenky.com/Terry_Isis.html

This is my 2003 steel isis, same frame size as the cervelo, reach is probably about 1 cm longer, but I am not gonna change it since she is about to become my daughter's graduation present. If you care, the stem is a 10cm nitto technomic with a 40 cm nitto noodle bar.

This bike has an interesting story. She had sold new for ~$2,000 with an ultegra build. I had my bike friday pocket rocket pro stolen and was looking for a new travel bike. Then I found the frame only (new old stock, never been built), no fork, on ebay, reynolds 853 steel, for $100. No one wanted her, cuz you couldn't even buy a fork for her. But, since I wanted S/S couplers installed, I shipped the bike to Bilenky, and he built me a fork, did the s/s couplers, installed canti bosses and bosses for a front rack (it already had rear), so I could set her up to accomdate wider tires and racks for touring. Then I transferred all the parts from my rusting out 2001 terry classic (I had stupidly given this rusting out frame brand new parts about a year earlier). The problem with this bike, is she is too heavy for me to use on vacation with my husband. He is a really strong rider, so we find it works better to put him on a touring bike with the luggage and me on a racing bike. So, when I got the Cervelo, I switched the cranks, and I will give this bike to my daughter for a graduation present. Yeh, 650c is better, but its still an awesome adventure bike for a girl graduating from college to ride and commute to her first job on (yeh and her getting that job is part of why I felt I could buy myself a new cervelo, no more tuition payments and she'll be self-supporting!).

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like

If you guys are interested, here is a link to one of my terrys, at Bilenky's site:

accccccccccckkkkkkkkkk does that bicycle have a 700c rear wheel atmo?
    otis, my brain, wants to know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fixednwinter View Post
    Hi Triskeliongirl:

Since this is an open forum, I took the liberty of forwarding your above post (in complete form) and sent the link to this thread to Phil White, founder and owner of Cervelo. I don't work for Cervelo nor am I close to Mr. White, but I know Phil through a mutual friend, and I believe he would be touched by your strong, positive response to the Cervelo RS.

.....phil has cool hair.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    shrink, terrorist, poet, president of concerned cyclists for the abolishment of bovine source bicycle parts and head of the disaffected commie dishwashers union.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swoop View Post
    .....phil has cool hair.
    klaatu barata nikto atmo.

Post Thanks / Like

nice stone work and mulch.

Bike, not so much.
    "make the break"

Post Thanks / Like

That front wheel is begging for a 9t cog. :thumbs_up:

Post Thanks / Like

I should have stopped w the cervelo..........

Yeh, the terry is the 700c rear/24" front set up. Its not as bad as it looks. Heck, it rides better than a 50 cm trek madonne which is too frigging stable to turn.

You guys just don't get what many smaller riders have to to go through to find a bike that fits, looks nice, and handles well. At least cervelo finally got it right!

Post Thanks / Like

I should have stopped w the cervelo..........

Yeh, the terry is the 700c rear/24" front set up. Its not as bad as it looks. Heck, it rides better than a 50 cm trek madonne which is too frigging stable to turn.

You guys just don't get what many smaller riders have to to go through to find a bike that fits, looks nice, and handles well.
    there can be no reason that a frame that size, with the saddle
    height you've assigned to it, needs a different size front wheel.
    the isis just isn't atmo.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Word

You guys just don't get what many smaller riders have to to go through to find a bike that fits, looks nice, and handles well.
    Tell it like it is...girlfriend!

I worked on a couple of those Terry's and they might be called "tanks" too, but never saw a Ti one. Rodriguez Stellar is a good women's frame as well. Although, they have dumbed it down with lower end components since Estelle left R&E.

Heck, it rides better than a 50 cm trek madonne which is too frigging stable to turn.
    Is that stability or just that deadend feel you get with an OCLV? I have only ridden down to a 52 so I cannot completely relate. Sounds to me like you enjoy some real spring in your frame when you stomp on the pedals. The Cervelo must have hit it right?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't disagree with you, I just wished I figured that out 20 years ago. But Georgena was first one that built me a bike I could ride.

My position has also lengthened over time, my reach was quite a bit shorter on my first terry classic.

But now you all make me sad............. I wish I stopped with the pic of Rhea, but I am glad you like her.

Lets not talk anymore about the terrys. I am too frugal to not keep my titanium isis as a commuter, but you have all made me very sad.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't disagree with you, I just wished I figured that out 20 years ago. But Georgena was first one that built me a bike I could ride.

My position has also lengthened over time, my reach was quite a bit shorter on my first terry classic.

But now you all make me sad............. I wish I stopped with the pic of Rhea, but I am glad you like her.

Lets not talk anymore about the terrys. I am too frugal to not keep my titanium isis as a commuter, but you have all made me very sad.

my rule of thumb is that a flair should go up whenever you
    do business with someone who has two first names atmo.
    ps don't be sad. where else can you get lunch 24/7?

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, another girl here! Do I know you (i.e. you don't happen to hang out at Team Estrogen do you, gals there are real nice but a lot of knowledge here........). The main problem with the madonne was the trail was so high it just wouldn't steer. Now that I recall the test ride, it also had that dead road feeling. Its one thing to dampen vibration, but I didn't like that I couldn't feel the road at all if that makes any sense. It also had too steep a STA angle and too long a top tube for me, but we never worked on really fitting it to me since at least in the test ride set up they gave it to me in it felt so wrong. That was when I bought the Ti isis, sight unseen, in total frustration.

I don't dare post a picture of my Ti Isis, cuz people will just laugh even harder since she is a size too small. But riding her to work really is fun. She is still light and very comfortable as a commuter. Gerogena only made Isis in Ti for a single year, 2005, and they sold out in about 6 months.

Explain to me more about the diff. between the trek and cervelo carbons. By spring do you mean less stiff, cuz the cervelo actually feels very stiff in terms of power transmission, but I do feel the road under me a bit more. In fact, that was my biggest surprise on the test ride. I thought carbon would smooth out the vibration more than steel or ti, but it felt the same, perhaps even a tad harsher, but I got used to it real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradient View Post
    Tell it like it is...girlfriend!

I worked on a couple of those Terry's and they might be called "tanks" too, but never saw a Ti one. Rodriguez Stellar is a good women's frame as well. Although, they have dumbed it down with lower end components since Estelle left R&E.

Is that stability or just that deadend feel you get with an OCLV? I have only ridden down to a 52 so I cannot completely relate. Sounds to me like you enjoy some real spring in your frame when you stomp on the pedals. The Cervelo must have hit it right?

Post Thanks / Like

Gerogena only made Isis in Ti for a single year, 2005, and they sold out in about 6 months.
    well okay then atmo.
    ps your screen name is compelling.
    does it mean something?

Post Thanks / Like

Default life is rough enough for the likes of me-------

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    my rule of thumb is that a flair should go up whenever you
    do business with someone who has two first names atmo.
    ps don't be sad. where else can you get lunch 24/7?
    merlin, cervelo, six13, bmc -damn, finally found my honeymoon in a non-matching first/last name -----ain't ralph kramden, but leave the driving to him!!!!

ronnie :)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wow, another girl here!

Sorry to dissapoint. No, just a guy with three girls at home and a pile of girl cousins that I have helped get into and become obsessed with cycling, and made me their designated wrench.

Sorry for the "girlfriend" attribution, so used to hearing it from the estrogenfest that I live in :)

Do not confuse the (mostly) male banter you get around here or any cycling forum, as criticism. Frankly, it means you have engaged them to consider your POV and appear to succeded.

<Spring> Well, I meant responsive (stiff), not whippy, so I think we mean that same thing.

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Yeh, it means something. I am actually a scientist (you'd never know it here i am wasting time online, but its cuz I stayed home today to review grants and I don't wanna do it so I let myself get sucked in here, but I have to stop soon and do it) and the molecule that I study has the shape of a triskelion. Its called clathrin. It has two forms, one that looks like a three legged triskelion (think celtic symbol), but then it assembles into structures that look like baskets or soccer balls (just much smaller, on the nanoscale). When this assembly reaction takes place on a cell membrane, it forces the membrane to deform into the shape of a vesicle. Its how we move stuff between different compartentalized organelles in all compartmentalized cells from yeast to man.

I know more about this than most. That is why I am the triskeliongirl.

WHo are you? I guess a framebuilder from your sig line but what is your real name? Why do you keep saying atmo all the time? What does that mean?

Post Thanks / Like