User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hope RX4 brake calipers for Campy!?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hope RX4 brake calipers for Campy!?

I am waiting to find a viable solution for getting Campy hydraulics on my 'old' CX bike with post mounts and it seems as though Hope is working towards one.

I saw somewhere on the web that Hope has made RX4 calipers that will work specifically with Shimano hydros, SRAM hydros and they are wrapping up testing on the version for Campy hydros. Does anyone know more about this setup? I like Hope (wheel) stuff and know that their MTB brakes are highly regarded, so I am assuming that this is going to come to fruition.

Should I be selling off my Ultegra Hydro group and saving up cash for H11 parts :)??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hope RX4 brake calipers for Campy!?

As mentionned on another thread, I had the chance to talk about it to with an Hope rep back in october. The Campy solution is already ready. They simply found out the RX4-SH (for shimano, mineral oil) calipers to work perfectly with campagnolo levers and line. I saw the calipers mounted on a demo bike and although I couldn't test ride it the lever throw to pad squeeze felt great.

Bottom line : you can right away order the RX4-SH post mounts calipers and use them with H11 levers.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Thomas - I had no idea. So, being an idiot about disc brakes and adding some paranoia about safety, the Shimano Calipers will literally be the same thing? Same oil? Same volume? Same seals? Same fittings to hydro lines?

I wouldn't be happy if these things failed on me :) (not that you are responsible for my safety of course)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
    Thanks Thomas - I had no idea. So, being an idiot about disc brakes and adding some paranoia about safety, the Shimano Calipers will literally be the same thing? Same oil? Same volume? Same seals? Same fittings to hydro lines?

I wouldn't be happy if these things failed on me :) (not that you are responsible for my safety of course)
    Basically they told me I could already order the shimano ones, they found out the push/volume ratio of the campy lever was compatible with their current shimano one and thus don't plan to build specific calipers for campy. Seals are compatible with mineral oil. Not sure why they don't advertise it on their website as they have a bike ready with campy levers in all bike shows.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Campy Levers and Shimano Post Mount RX4's are now installed - they went together with the parts Campy and Hope supplied. It was a little different to bleed them (Campy Syringe in the Front, SRAM rear) and hold them Vertical off the bike.

We used the Shimano Calipers and Campy Fluid.

I have not had a chance to ride them yet due to 2' of Snow on the ground here in Oakville(Toronto) - but they are very firm when you squeeze them - better than Campy Calipers.

I'm Hope(ing) for great power.
    Dane Morrison
    Bike Enthusiast
    Total Number of Frames built by my Hand = 1 on the Dave Yates Course

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given shimano model rx4s work with h11 levers, wouldn't that mean that any shimano mtb or road caliper would also work fine? If the piston size, seals, fluid is all compatible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blakey View Post
    Given shimano model rx4s work with h11 levers, wouldn't that mean that any shimano mtb or road caliper would also work fine? If the piston size, seals, fluid is all compatible.
    They should work fine. But I wouldn't go bombing down any major mountains until your sure.

BTW - the RX4's are only 123 grams - quite light.
    Dane Morrison
    Bike Enthusiast
    Total Number of Frames built by my Hand = 1 on the Dave Yates Course

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Breathlessly awaiting ride reports on this. Not kidding . . . You are performing a great public service here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by morrisond View Post
    My Campy Levers and Shimano Post Mount RX4's are now installed - they went together with the parts Campy and Hope supplied. It was a little different to bleed them (Campy Syringe in the Front, SRAM rear) and hold them Vertical off the bike.

We used the Shimano Calipers and Campy Fluid.

I have not had a chance to ride them yet due to 2' of Snow on the ground here in Oakville(Toronto) - but they are very firm when you squeeze them - better than Campy Calipers.

I'm Hope(ing) for great power.
    Sorry to dig up an old thread, any feedback on this setup? I have a couple post mount compatible bikes that I really don't want to replace just because of the flat-mount decision by Campy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on a similar vein, does anyone have shimano/rx4 real world experiences? I have a pair of these calipers in my ebay cart but there isn't much about these out there right now...
    Matt Moore
    @hellafabrication
    www.instagram.com/Hellafabrication

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So instead of going with the Hopes, my local go-to mechanic said he wanted to try using Magura calipers with the H11 levers, and I was game to have him try. I found some older MT8 calipers on ebay (Magura USA was curiously out of current-gen MT8 calipers). It took a little while to get done as he realized that you need 2 banjos (one on each end), and the one at the caliper needed a male attachment (or something like that). He dug up an old Shimano attachment and it seems to be holding fluid for the last few days, braking seems good, lever feel is very good, better than the shimano 685s that were on there before.

Whole bike:

Untitled by Andrew Cohen, on Flickr

Rear closeup:

Front:

Closeup of the hard-to-find banjo interface piece:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ay yay yay! That Winter is one of my all time favourites, now with hydro Campy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep us informed, that's ineresting, thanks!
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi coś colà dove si puote
    cị che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far, my impressions are that modulation is way better than the Shimano RS that were on there, which was one of my complaints about the sminaos (on/off, hard to feather the brakes). It does seem that absolute power under hard braking is down - I wonder if these are optimized for bigger rotors on a MTN bike, like a 180 on the front (I can't go bigger than 160). It's not a huge deal, but do you think a pad change might help that last 10% of power?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On mtn bikes I have noticed a big change in brake feel and performance with aftermarket pads. With the H11 brake+pads they felt awesome from the first time I hit the brakes. Which reminds me I need to order backup pads because I don't think anyone around here will be stocking them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    So far, my impressions are that modulation is way better than the Shimano RS that were on there, which was one of my complaints about the sminaos (on/off, hard to feather the brakes). It does seem that absolute power under hard braking is down - I wonder if these are optimized for bigger rotors on a MTN bike, like a 180 on the front (I can't go bigger than 160). It's not a huge deal, but do you think a pad change might help that last 10% of power?
    Being better than the shimano POS you had on there (and I had on the Crux) is really easy :) I would change that crank, seems out of place now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Being better than the shimano POS you had on there (and I had on the Crux) is really easy :) I would change that crank, seems out of place now.
    It does, but the crazy chainrings help. It's got a powermeter on the left crank arm, which I do not need, but is somewhat amusing to have. No hurry to spend yet more $ on this bike, but maybe sometime if I happen upon just the right thing . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am busy fitting RX4 calipers to Potenza levers, so far all good. I have only the rear hooked up at present as one of the calipers arrived faulty - no opening between the bleed port and the cable line-in port???!!!!
    The rear pads needed wearing in and now have all the power needed. The lever pull feels right, can be feathered really well and the rear wheel can be locked up should you want that. I believe the system may benefit from a final bleed and the pads have an almost imperceptible rub which I would like to be fixed - the zing zing of the rotor.
    I originally bought Magura MT8 but they came without hardware, banjo or more crucially banjo bolt. After much searching and frustration I sent them back and bought the Hopes which came with everything needed to connect.
    Unlike Bikester (the dealer) and Magura, Hope have been very helpful and responsive to the faulty unit issue, they are available on the phone and give sound 'Lancastrian' advice like "don't go riding a long steep downhill until the pads are worn in". Great quality units that look good too.
    I'll post more once I am riding them regularly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are three things which will affect whether a caliper will fit:
    1) Piston diameter. If two calipers have the same piston diameter then the amount of fluid pushed by the lever will have the same effect on both calipers
    2) Fluid type. Mineral oil and DOT are not interchangeable but all versions of mineral oil are.
    3) Fittings. So long as the banjos / inline fittings are of the same type and diameter there is no reason why they won't go together and hold.

I'd be curious to know the piston diameters of the Campag and Hope calipers -can anyone measure?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    I'd be curious to know the piston diameters of the Campag and Hope calipers -can anyone measure?
    I think you can't compare them equally as the Hope are 4 pistons calipers while the Campag/magura are 2 pistons.

When I talked to the Hope rep he basically said they were about to look at manufacturing dedicated campagnolo calipers then decided why not trying out the shimano ones first and found out it worked as well as when matched to a shimano lever so they decided to leave it untouched. Trial & errror at its best.
    --
    T h o m a s