User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hope RX4 brake calipers for Campy!?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hope RX4 brake calipers for Campy!?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevcaster View Post
    I am busy fitting RX4 calipers to Potenza levers, so far all good. I have only the rear hooked up at present as one of the calipers arrived faulty - no opening between the bleed port and the cable line-in port???!!!!
    The rear pads needed wearing in and now have all the power needed. The lever pull feels right, can be feathered really well and the rear wheel can be locked up should you want that. I believe the system may benefit from a final bleed and the pads have an almost imperceptible rub which I would like to be fixed - the zing zing of the rotor.
    I originally bought Magura MT8 but they came without hardware, banjo or more crucially banjo bolt. After much searching and frustration I sent them back and bought the Hopes which came with everything needed to connect.
    Unlike Bikester (the dealer) and Magura, Hope have been very helpful and responsive to the faulty unit issue, they are available on the phone and give sound 'Lancastrian' advice like "don't go riding a long steep downhill until the pads are worn in". Great quality units that look good too.
    I'll post more once I am riding them regularly
    This combination is now complete with two Hope RX4 post mount calipers on Campagnolo Potenza hydraulic levers, all working with a very positive feel. SHould get out to test ride on Wednesday and bed the pads in, I will post further after that. There is some brake rub and suspect the pistons are not returning as quickly as they should or to the correct place, they are very stiff in their mounts so may take some breaking in too. If it works then more Campagnolo loveliness with post mount frames.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I think you can't compare them equally as the Hope are 4 pistons calipers while the Campag/magura are 2 pistons.
    piston area. you can compare that, quite easily.
    Matt Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am busy fitting RX4 calipers to Potenza levers, so far all good. I have only the rear hooked up at present as one of the calipers arrived faulty - no opening between the bleed port and the cable line-in port???!!!!
    The rear pads needed wearing in and now have all the power needed. The lever pull feels right, can be feathered really well and the rear wheel can be locked up should you want that. I believe the system may benefit from a final bleed and the pads have an almost imperceptible rub which I would like to be fixed - the zing zing of the rotor.
    I originally bought Magura MT8 but they came without hardware, banjo or more crucially banjo bolt. After much searching and frustration I sent them back and bought the Hopes which came with everything needed to connect.
    Unlike Bikester (the dealer) and Magura, Hope have been very helpful and responsive to the faulty unit issue, they are available on the phone and give sound 'Lancastrian' advice like "don't go riding a long steep downhill until the pads are worn in". Great quality units that look good too.
    OK I've put about 300km on this set up and it all works really well. Testing the 'feel' with my clubmate's Shimano setups suggest that the Campagnolo Potenza levers are perfectly suited to the Hope RX4 calipers. With the pads bedded in they stop on a sixpence, return to position decently well (still the occasional very slight rub that is fixed by flicking the lever) and have as much feel and modulation as my Chorus rim brakes. I'm delighted with this result and expect to have a long and happy relationship with the Campagnolo, Hope, Bianchi combo.
    Apparently Hope discovered that the 'pull' on Shimano and Campagnolo levers was identical and so did not have to build a specific model as they did with Sram. The Hopes give away 55gms each to the flat mount Campagnolo calipers, I have fitted an additional Hope K mount to suit the Camapgnolo 160mm front rotor so another 25gms lost here, otherwise it all works fine. As a further comment, the Hope calipers are very well made, somewhat over engineered and came complete with high quality fittings as required including stainless steel bolts and two sets of pads - one for CX usage and one for road. The Campagnolo flat mount calipers are works of industrial art, beautiful to look at, specific to front or rear and also come with all the fittings required. I used branded Magura fluid for the rear and Campagnolo for the front, I could not detect any difference - I did not taste them but they smell the same!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the write up. My wife's bike might be getting this combo. When buying the Potenza you weren't able to just get the levers right? Had to buy them in sets of lever and caliper?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to dig up this old thread but thinking of buying a hope caliper to replace a faulty Campag caliper (warranty issue but may take forever to arrive!). Question is if you used the Campag rotors or did you buy new Hope rotors? I currently have a 160mm front Campagnolo rotor and am wondering if the hope caliper needs an adapter or if it is just plug and play.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12