Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hive Mind: Fenders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hive Mind: Fenders

Hard not to like the ‘Mud Flap Girl’ design...!

What's the width on those where they attach, @rwsaunders?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    Hard not to like the ‘Mud Flap Girl’ design...!

What's the width on those where they attach, @rwsaunders?
    38mm at the bottom hole tapering to 30mm at the upper hole. Width at bottom of rear flap is 68mm and width at bottom of front flap is 73mm. Overall length of rear flap is 296mm and front flap is 193mm.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great detail, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AntLockyer View Post
    Interesting, I ran fenders with 25s before without issue for sure.

Attachment 117445
    I notice they are actually cut away at the seat stay so that is no longer the limiting factor.
    Attachment 117446
    that 'should' fit under the brake too, I guess there is only one way to find out, they aren't expensive to play around with.
    I had a set of those fenders on a CX bike. They are really nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

has anyone tried the new road plus portland design works full metal fenders?
    I have a set of P35s, but because of the rounded profile, internal hardware there is not much room with 28mm (29 actual) tires.

I see the PDW road plus (37mm) are recommended for mid reach calipers and up to 30mm tires. They seem close though I wish they were 40mm.
    I have had an SKS P45 on the bike before and the plastic pinches in, so to run the next size up in PDW (45mm "city"), I would have to crimp a little for the fork.

Any thoughts? I just dont know if the road plus will be negligibly better than the P35, or if the hardware on the outside/ the slightly less rounded profile will give me mo' clearance for wider rubber.

I might just order another set of SKS, but the metal fenders look so much better :/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skouri1 View Post
    has anyone tried the new road plus portland design works full metal fenders?
    I’m tempted to try them - partly because my older PDW fenders were so well sorted, partly because the built-in flaps would save me having to sort a solution for my carbon ones, partly just because...

It helps that they’re the perfect width for my SB Ti too; and a good colour.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

personally rich, I think PDW look great, but your carbon weave ones are just so well sorted with your seven fork.

Your unobtanium swarf are 40mm and curved in profile, right? And they fit well under your calipers/fork?
    The 37s I think will work with no crimping. That probably means they are adequate though I suspect a SKS P45 will provide better coverage.

I know its possible to fit the City 45mm fenders on your/our set up with some crimpage:
    https://blayleys.blogspot.com/2014/0...ender-day.html
    But i dont know how I feel about how low it is mounted on the fork / how tight it is under the brakes.
    I think 40mm is a great width, Rich. It had me eyeballing the kinesis "fend offs" for a while, but the PDW definitely look like a better product with single stay/hardware set up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your unobtanium swarf are 40mm and curved in profile, right? And they fit well under your calipers/fork?
    Yes, 40mm and round profile. They’re tight under the fork, but they work. 37s would be easy.

I occasionally get some creaking on the bike under hard efforts. I’ve narrowed this down to being the edges of the carbon fenders rubbing against the Ti inside the chain stays (they’re a really tight fit there), but it may also be the edges of the carbon rubbing against the inside of the fork too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. When I had my unmodified pdw city's in my mid reach frame i would get an occasional metal on metal sort of bell ring. I don't know if the fender was flexing on potholes and hitting the caliper or what. Now that I am sitting with it. I think having perhaps q little less width to cope with spray Is probably less annoying than creaks and crimping etc. If I spring for it in the coming week or so I'll be sure to post pics. The black on black pdw look very good

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I occasionally get some creaking on the bike under hard efforts. I’ve narrowed this down to being the edges of the carbon fenders rubbing against the Ti inside the chain stays (they’re a really tight fit there), but it may also be the edges of the carbon rubbing against the inside of the fork too.
    Now confirmed as the latter.

I need to determine whether any damage is being done when the noise occurs (and check it is actually the fenders creaking against the fork and not just a knackered fork!), then see if I can patch it with some tape or something, which I'll probably attempt tonight or tomorrow.

I hope I can - although leaving the fenders off so that I can try out the new Challenge tubeless tubulars in 36mm is *very* tempting...!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...patch it with some tape or something, which I'll probably attempt tonight...
    Done. Silence again. As suspected, it was the sharp carbon edge of the fender rubbing against the inside edge of the fork, made worse by dirt from a wet ride on Saturday. A small strip of bar tape finishing tape at the contact patch has sorted it.

Partially disappointed given that it turns out my LBS has those 36mm Challenge tubeless tubulars in stock!

I don't think those Swarf carbon fenders are long of this world, though - getting up close with them today has made me think they were produced for show more than for go. There's signs of water seeping into the weave in places, there appears to be some delamination beginning to appear and I think I saw signs of cracking in some areas. Nothing serious yet, but I'll be keeping a close eye on them...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any suggestions on how to bend fender stays around disc brake calipers to get nice even bends in the right spot?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok Rich, ship them to US and I will complete destructive testing. :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Done. Silence again. As suspected, it was the sharp carbon edge of the fender rubbing against the inside edge of the fork, made worse by dirt from a wet ride on Saturday. A small strip of bar tape finishing tape at the contact patch has sorted it.
    Spoke too soon. Still noisy up front on today’s ride. Damn it.

ok Rich, ship them to US and I will complete destructive testing. :)
    Shipping won’t be cheap, but if you’re prepared to cover the costs you might be on...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm. I think the Seven 5E is good probably for 32s or maybe a little more, but however squared the profile, you definitely are going to have to shove a 45mm fender and even probably a 40 to get it in. I remember putting tape inside as well to protect the inside of the crown. Indeed, maybe the 37mm would be better or maybe a stiffer stay in the front, which is more complicated to fix.... The PDW stays are nice. I wonder if they sell them aftermarket? The carbon itself I bet is quite stiff, but that probably doesnt prevent it from wagging around if the stays are not solid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I grabbed these Curana CLite fenders with an integrated B&M Secula taillight and REALLY liked them -- they're a sandwiched construction, with really nice mounting hardware. Can recommend.

https://www.bike24.com/p2273485.html?menu=1000,5,160

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't gravel grind with fenders anymore. Little pebbles that get picked up can catch between the fender and the tires, and the consequence is not nice. Fenders look cool and helps me to stay dry when riding wet roads.

2020-08-23 11.44.08 by sevencyclist, on Flickr

2020-08-23 11.22.58 by sevencyclist, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spoke too soon. Still noisy up front on today’s ride. Damn it.
    So, I took to filing a notch into each side of the front fender under the fork crown. I also changed the fender mount to a 40mm crimp-on Rene Herse one (which I also riveted in place for a bit of extra security) that is mounted under the brake caliper rather than under the fork. I thought those changes had sorted it but, over the course of the first ride out, the creaking returned.

It's definitely the fender rubbing under the fork as the noise doesn't occur without the fenders on.

I've just made the notches a little longer and slightly deeper, and put some padded tape along the edges of the notches to try and prevent the carbon-on-carbon contact that appears to be creating the noise. If that doesn't sort it I'm binning these and ordering the 37mm PDWs...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've just made the notches a little longer and slightly deeper, and put some padded tape along the edges of the notches to try and prevent the carbon-on-carbon contact that appears to be creating the noise. If that doesn't sort it I'm binning these and ordering the 37mm PDWs...
    It didn’t work.

One more idea, then I’m done...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It didn’t work.

One more idea, then I’m done...
    It may have transpired that I was looking in the wrong place...

The noise didn't occur without the fenders. That was what was making believe it had to be the fenders - except when I ran the bike without the fenders, I used my other wheels.

Oh.

Swapped wheels and did a quick garage test earlier. No noise. It shows promise - I'll do a test ride next week.

Of course I then snapped the axle of the offending wheel trying to undo the end caps and clean, repack & adjust the bearings. Woohoo.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast