Likes Likes:  0

Thread: HID Light Interference with Garmin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default HID Light Interference with Garmin

Curious if others had issues using their HID lights (I'm using a MiNewt) with ANT+ computers. As the weather has finally turned slightly more user-friendly in the mornings, I'm out and see that my power data on my 705 is completely off while using my MiNewt. However - the HR/speed and other functions seemed to be pretty consistent.

Besides the simple answer of moving the power unit away from the computer, any other thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: HID Light Interference with Garmin

HID lights can definitely interfere with wireless bike computers. My L&M HID light kills my Cateye wireless bike computer.

--Marcus

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

L&M HID light interfered with my older Polar, when it crapped out and I put a new Polar on and then put the light on last winter I was pleased to see it didn't interfere with the new Polar.

Then the HID light itself crapped out a week later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The minewt is an LED not an HID but that doesnt solve your problem

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm that's quite odd.. the Minewt must be really leaky with EMI. The reason why HIDs usually cause a lot of trouble with this is because of the high voltage circuit inside the ballast. If your light is actually an LED there is absolutely no reason why this should be happening (!) - the newer wireless stuff is much more resistant to EMI, and LEDs don't have any ballast circuitry to cause it in the first place.

I have a Light & Motion ARC HID that was hell with older style Polars (eg S710/725) - and in humid conditions it was especially bad. The only solution was indeed to spread them apart somehow - usually this meant putting the watch on my wrist. (Garmin in the jersey pocket maybe?)

That said, the newer 2.4GHz band stuff, like newer W.I.N.D Polars and Garmin ANT+ don't skip a beat even when right up next to the HID light unit.

Right now I run the HID on my MTB, and an LED system (Exposure Maxx2 Enduro) on the road bike; both of them are mounted within millimetres of a Garmin 705 and neither have any trouble.

Possibly silly question - could the batteries in your power meter be going flat, causing its signal transmission to be especially weak or intermittent? The only time I've had a transmission problem on my Garmin was when the battery in the HR strap was going flat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

May be the battery pack thats causing the issue rather than the light. Going to try and move the battery pack to an area away from the stem and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have been commuting for several years with a NR Blowtorch and a Garmin 305. I also run a 3W LED that I use for the first ten minutes of my commute to save HID battery. I've never had an issue with interference. I plan on investing in a new NR 600 lumen LED next year to gain extra run time and have mulitiple power settings.
    Weight Doper