Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Helmets: What's the latest?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Helmets: What's the latest?

My old Bell Sweep is getting kind of nasty and is older than I care to admit. What's new and good? There are too many options.

A buddy mentioned the Smith Overtake MIPS as what he'd get today. It has a mesh on the inside which might prevent bee ingestion but it might be hot too.

Crowdsourcing ideas here.

Thoughts in MIPS?

What are folks using these days?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Helmets: What's the latest?

I like my Kask. I've also had good luck with S-works and Giro. The Kask and Giro are more "round" whereas the S-works is a bit more oblong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been using this for a few years and like it. Fits well and, I don't know, I just put it on and forget about it.

Kali Protectives

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try them in a shop. There is no other way to know if it fits well nor if you will be able to secure your sunglasses on it.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The smith honeycomb hat is hot as hell. Don't get that.
    If you want mips get a Lazer or something
    - Jordan Weaver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Liken to asking advice on what saddle to get I recon, there is some cool new tech though I'd like to hear about as well.

I've been looking for a new lid too, I have heard nothing but good things about the MIPS system. It's expensive yes but they are really comfortable and well, safe from what I've gathered.

A Lazer O2 saved my life and I will forever be in debt to that company, I think the next helmet I get will be another Lazer. Great fit and they look cool too. The Z1 is super fancy and pretty aggressive looking if that's your thing.

POC Octal I've also been looking at and the Kask Protone is another candidate. They all do the same thing and pass the same standards though so I may have a tough time letting $300 go for one when a $100 helmet suits my needs just fine.
    justin rogers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Laser Z1 and it's the best helmet I have ever owned. Fits perfect on my head, retention system is nice add even all the way around, straps are comfortable and lay flat. Plus they make a useful snap on clear aero cover, I use it on cold days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an Octal with MIPS. Just like saddles, fit is personal and definitely get what fits your head. Having said that, I picked the Octal because I take care of people with brain injuries for a living, and it had a few features that I thought were attractive. I'm a MIPS believer, as it theoretically makes very good sense, although they'll never be able to prove the benefit (hard to get people to sign up to crash their bikes in the name of science). The Octal also drops a bit lower over the temples and the occiput than other helmets, and believe it or not I've seen injuries in those areas in people wearing more traditional helmets.

As for comfort, it ventilates incredibly well and is very light. Works with or without a cap underneath if that's your thing.

In the winter it's a bit cold. I may look into a lazer with snap on shell next winter. MIPS of course, I can't see myself buying something without it at this point. I think the standards are behind the science here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bell Sweep was my go to helmet for years. When I was in the market I went for the POC with MIPs. Fit well but I felt like a mushroom head, looked big on me. Had a friend who wanted it so the great fitting replacement was a Lazer Z1 with MIPS. Great fit (coming from a happy Bell Sweep) wearer. More head coverage vs the sweep and the Lazer seems to be a bit cooler than the POC. The other helmet in the mix is a Kali Maraka XC off road and that's another good mate for similar heads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an unhealthy love for Catlike's Mixino. It's uglier than sin but moves a ton of air over my noggin on hot days and fits my head great.

But you do look like a Koopa Troopa on a bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the Lazer Z1 currently and it is my favorite helmet I have used in recent years. I also have used the LG corse, Giro Atmos, Bell Sweep R and Volt and Specialized Prevail. Oh yeah I had one of the early kask helmets but the retention system failed unexpectedly so that kind of sucked. I checked out the new Protone in the lbs and it looks like they changed up the design. Maybe check out the Vittoria Vh-ikon. That is a funky looking helmet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since my Giro atmos has poison ivy in the frontal padding (how in the world?) I 've been using my winter Mavic helmet and although the fit is good I never realized how much hotter one helmet to the next can be.
    If OK in this thread, my question is which helmets flow a lot of air?
    The Mixino is noted as one of the candidate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are looking for a more affordable choice, try the Lazer Blade. It's essentially the budget version of the Z1. I've been using mine for a little over a year now and am really happy with it. I believe it comes in a MIPS version now as well. I have been pretty tempted to get an orange Z1 with MIPS though...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a POC Octal in shocking orange. I'm a true medium with a 57cm circumference so helmet fit is often frustrating when a model only comes in 2 sizes, neither is perfect for summer/no hat and winter/liner, but the POC can accommodate both. The POC looks and feels bigger but as much of my road riding is in the DC area where the traffic and the crazies in traffic seem to get worse every year, to hell with fashion, orange with reflectors is just fine- I'll stay at the back of the paceline if it bothers you. My only slight issue with the POC is that sunglasses are fitted under the straps unlike every other helmet I've ever owned- no biggie but takes a few rides to adjust to the idea. Not always true to my convictions, I also have a Giro Savant/MIPs. Comes in 3 sizes so medium is perfect, comfortable, and socially acceptable in white, and less than half the cost of the POC-it's supposedly a low-end model but it ticks all the boxes the high end helmets have. Airflow is fine with both- I'm suspicious of helmets marketed as particularly breezy for obvious reasons, but both seem fine in DC code orange steambath summers.

PS both my helmets are MIPS but I think MIPS is mostly marketing, no technical studies have been done beyond the manufacturers themselves and I have a hard time believing that the slight sliding movement means anything- after all, the helmet is not crazy glued to your head- it slides around in an oblique crash situation, much more than the slight extra movement allowed by the MIPS feature. So call me agnostic on MIPS- I liked the fit of both helmets and found the MIPS version on sale with both, so whatever...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EightySixer View Post
    I have heard nothing but good things about the MIPS system.
    Here's something not-so-good that's worth a read: MIPS and Sliding Resistance of Bicycle Helmets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    Here's something not-so-good that's worth a read: MIPS and Sliding Resistance of Bicycle Helmets
    Yes, this ^^ is what I saw too. I'm not a designer or engineer, but it makes sense. So maybe it adds safety, maybe not, but if budget were an issue I would choose a helmet that fits in a non-MIPs version and not be concerned that I'm somehow getting a compromised old technology product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NFazzio View Post
    I have a Laser Z1 and it's the best helmet I have ever owned. Fits perfect on my head, retention system is nice add even all the way around, straps are comfortable and lay flat. Plus they make a useful snap on clear aero cover, I use it on cold days.
    I thought this until git a Kask Protone. But when you tget to this point it is really about personal prefence.
    ***Instagram***
    my name is Houston

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giro Synthe. Great if you've got a large face.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Walk in the big wooden door on that green building and tell Dan, "Desidero una corona."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    I thought this until git a Kask Protone. But when you tget to this point it is really about personal prefence.
    Kask Protone for the mother effin' win. My new favorite and it comes in matte navy blue which is so classy. I want to replace my other helmets with more Protones.