Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Helmets: What's the latest?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Helmets: What's the latest?

I just did my 1st ride on a POC Octal Avip MIPS helmet.
    I got a size small, it fits my head really well. In fact so well that I might not be able to get a headband underneath. But that is fine, I have other helmets.
    I hate it when the small is too small for me, the medium always ends up too loose.
    My head fits deeper in this helmet- that makes it feel even more secure on the road.
    Straps don't flap around and whistle like they do on a Prevail.
    I found that my Oakley glasses fit fine in the slots.
    So far this one is a winner for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To the guys who are having a problem with gel pads falling off the up-and-down retention system on their Kask helmets..............find a Kask dealer and tell them. They will get you a ziplock baggie full of two or three full replacement kits. The adhesive is much stronger on the replacement kit pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    I still haven't made a purchase because the Protone isn't available in orange and I already have a Lazer Z1 so buying the MIPS one in the same colour seems silly - but other colours, inexplicably, now hold *zero* interest for me.
    ...and I *still* haven't bought a new lid despite still really wanting one.

The Bell Zephyr is now available in Aus and they don't appear to have wrecked it with the ANZ standards, but I'm still struggling with helmets that aren't orange...

However, I have just seen this on Liz Hatch's Insta (she's now in media for Lazer) and it looks awesome so I'm now desperately hoping they bring this to Aus!:

FWIW, a buddy of mine has the new Bollé 'The One' road helmet and really likes it - says it's quite low profile, which is a nice touch compared to most. I think it looks great with the aero shells in place, but a bit average without them, which is a shame as I would probably use it without more often.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    ...and I *still* haven't bought a new lid despite still really wanting one.
    I gave my Kask Protone a first go this morning. Definitely a snug fit for a large but seems to fit my dome perfectly. Logos come off quite easily which I was happy about. That Lazer is super sharp - that was going to be my second choice (ok, third - the Synthe was always in the running) but got a good deal on the Kask.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone tried the Lazer Bullet yet? I have found Lazer Z1 to be one of the few helmets to fit my head, which is annoying always between Medium and Large sizes for most other brands. But the Z1 is a tad airy for winter, and there is minimal room for a cap underneath (I'm on max size adjustment for a medium). I'm thinking the sliding vent system could be great for cold weather, as much as for aero reasons?
    Condor Italia RC / Mason Resolution Disc / Tern Verge X11

Instagram: rellonchris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If any of you are looking for a new medium Bell Z20 (as in new in box), head to the classifieds. I've already done one exchange with Bell based on fit and they aren't keen on doing a second one : (

Looking for suggestions for a comparable helmet that allows left to right side strap adjustment?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm really liking the Kask Protone as well as the Kask Infinity. I'm a guy who historically never trained wearing a helmet and would cut a good bit out material out of the helmet come race day when i had to wear one. for me, helmets that extend too far outward over the ears tend to mess with my balance as does extra weight on my head.

when jeff and i were picking out the junk we wanted to stock in the stiore- we tried A LOT of helmets- the Kask helmets won out because they looked great, and I personally notice wearing them the least of any helmet on offer.

having a magic wand when it comes to selecting what junk to stock has been really, really fun but also a little scary. Again- part of this whole project is me not stocking anything that i don't think is the best- regardless of what folks want, what makes me the most margin, or even what availability looks like. i'd love to talk more about the stuff we're carrying- but for helmets it's the KASK Protone and Infinity. I like dumb clown euro-pro colors- so we have some of those- but i'm happy to sell and stock matte black ones because that's what people want. :)
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    ... I like dumb clown euro-pro colors...
    More of this please. Even better, second and third tier Euro team colours. Heck, just sell Briko helmets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone used the Kask Valegro? May be retiring an old Bell and bringing a new helmet into the rotation soon. Curious how it is versus the Protone which I really like.
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    i'm really liking the Kask Protone as well as the Kask Infinity. I'm a guy who historically never trained wearing a helmet and would cut a good bit out material out of the helmet come race day when i had to wear one. for me, helmets that extend too far outward over the ears tend to mess with my balance as does extra weight on my head.

when jeff and i were picking out the junk we wanted to stock in the stiore- we tried A LOT of helmets- the Kask helmets won out because they looked great, and I personally notice wearing them the least of any helmet on offer.

having a magic wand when it comes to selecting what junk to stock has been really, really fun but also a little scary. Again- part of this whole project is me not stocking anything that i don't think is the best- regardless of what folks want, what makes me the most margin, or even what availability looks like. i'd love to talk more about the stuff we're carrying- but for helmets it's the KASK Protone and Infinity. I like dumb clown euro-pro colors- so we have some of those- but i'm happy to sell and stock matte black ones because that's what people want. :)
    For decades I resisted but I'm pretty much assimilated now and wear one virtually every time I go for a ride. They're invisible to me except for one thing - the noise around the straps. I hate that and I wish there were something that could be done.

I wear my Kask Mojito because it fit the best of the ones I tried on. It's red and other than the strap wind noise, invisible once I'm moving.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a really good fit with the budget level Kask rapido. The only downside was the lack of ability to carry the sunglasses by sliding the arms into the vents.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tamu8104 View Post
    Anyone used the Kask Valegro? May be retiring an old Bell and bringing a new helmet into the rotation soon. Curious how it is versus the Protone which I really like.
    Has it been released yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am really digging my new Sweet Protection Falconer MIPS. I like that it provides a bit more coverage than my previous Kask Protone but still is low profile on my head. As a point of reference, I was a happy Giro customer through the atmos, but the synthe and I don't get along. I tried the Synthe Mips version and sold it because the Mips frame dug uncomfortably into my forehead. The Specialized evade and Kask Protone work fine for me, but the Sweet Protection is the most comfortable helmet I have ever used. The only downside I find is that ventilation is not quite as good as the Kask, but it is not a problem wearing it here in Singapore, so I doubt it would be a problem for most people. Yes, I should clean the fingerprint smudges off of it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toddykins View Post
    I am really digging my new Sweet Protection Falconer MIPS.
    Another one I love the look of, but we're unlikely to ever see in Aus with ANZ standards... *grumpy face*

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I had a really good fit with the budget level Kask rapido. The only downside was the lack of ability to carry the sunglasses by sliding the arms into the vents.
    This is the biggest problem with my Mojito - it interferes with the sunglasses and you can't carry them in the air vents either.

Regarding fit, it was strange. I tried on probably four or five different helmets and most of the big brands. None fit my head nearly as well as the Mojito (which isn't perfect, but is pretty good) and even though I have owned Giro and Bell in the past, the ones I tried on fit completely differently.

I'm thinking style, weight and ventilation have become more important than fit, which is unfortunate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    This is the biggest problem with my Mojito - it interferes with the sunglasses and you can't carry them in the air vents either.

Regarding fit, it was strange. I tried on probably four or five different helmets and most of the big brands. None fit my head nearly as well as the Mojito (which isn't perfect, but is pretty good) and even though I have owned Giro and Bell in the past, the ones I tried on fit completely differently.

I'm thinking style, weight and ventilation have become more important than fit, which is unfortunate.
    Kask fixed the sunglasses problem with the Protone. The cradle has notches for the tips of the sunglasses arms.

I just finished my first ride in a POC. I've resisted them for years because of the bulbous shape but decided to give one a try. I'm impressed. Good airflow, perfect fit with sunglasses and a simple retention system that should be problem free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bdaghisallo View Post
    Has it been released yet?
    Kask says late November.
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
    Cyfac Fignon Tribute Proxidium
    Bixxis Prima

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A quick PSA for anyone with a Bell Zephyr. I bought one about 11 months ago, based on the new design alluding to it being the best from a safety standpoint. A couple months ago, I saw that it was replaced in their lineup by the Z20. That seemed odd, to discontinue the flagship in less than a year. Bell's response was simply the Z20 was an "upgrade". That answer seemed fishy. So I did some detective work on the CPSC website, and found that the Zephyr actually failed the CPSC impact test due to "structural failure"! Armed with this info, I contacted the shop where I purchased the Zephyr and they gave me a full refund via store credit. Looks like Bell has just swept this under the table.
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
    Bixxis Prima

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
    A quick PSA for anyone with a Bell Zephyr. I bought one about 11 months ago, based on the new design alluding to it being the best from a safety standpoint. A couple months ago, I saw that it was replaced in their lineup by the Z20. That seemed odd, to discontinue the flagship in less than a year. Bell's response was simply the Z20 was an "upgrade". That answer seemed fishy. So I did some detective work on the CPSC website, and found that the Zephyr actually failed the CPSC impact test due to "structural failure"! Armed with this info, I contacted the shop where I purchased the Zephyr and they gave me a full refund via store credit. Looks like Bell has just swept this under the table.
    It is unfortunate that this went away quietly.

Not that you could have known, but this was discussed on several other forums and here too I think. That's not a diss on you because there was no way to know. Bell should have publicized this better. I nearly bought one as well and found it strange when I went into REI in Minneapolis early this past summer and they had none in stock and this was a brand and a model that a place like REI would normally have tons of on the shelves.

The best fitting helmet I ever wore was a Bell and I hope the new one is better. Bell would be on my list. I'd like to have something in addition to my Kask Mojito. As with many products, I like to rotate through several in order to keep things fresh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    It is unfortunate that this went away quietly.

Not that you could have known, but this was discussed on several other forums and here too I think. That's not a diss on you because there was no way to know. Bell should have publicized this better. I nearly bought one as well and found it strange when I went into REI in Minneapolis early this past summer and they had none in stock and this was a brand and a model that a place like REI would normally have tons of on the shelves.

The best fitting helmet I ever wore was a Bell and I hope the new one is better. Bell would be on my list. I'd like to have something in addition to my Kask Mojito. As with many products, I like to rotate through several in order to keep things fresh.
    I apologize for the redundancy. As there are probably a few thousand riders out there unknowingly on the road with a helmet they falsely perceive as safe, I posted it. I find it incredible that Bell would choose to deceive their customers with regard to critical safety aspects of a helmet. It shows a tremendous lack of ethics, and from a litigation point of view, pure stupidity.
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
    Bixxis Prima