User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helmets, what is worthwhile and what is hype?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Helmets, what is worthwhile and what is hype?

Hopping to get back on the bike very soon I was thinking it is time to get my wife and I new helmets. I am not sure if this has been discussed recently and if so my apologies.

Curious about new technologies and if any of it is worth looking at?

We are both currently using Specialized S-Works Prevail.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Bobby
    Bobby Plotkins

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Helmets, what is worthwhile and what is hype?

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
    Hopping to get back on the bike very soon I was thinking it is time to get my wife and I new helmets. I am not sure if this has been discussed recently and if so my apologies.

Curious about new technologies and if any of it is worth looking at?

We are both currently using Specialized S-Works Prevail.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Bobby
    I think there’s a lot of hype. A couple years ago I bought a Giro Savant MIPS for half the price or less of a premium helmet from Giro. I don’t feel as if it’s any less good in any meaningful way.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ask two people about helmets and you’ll receive three opinions, right? I’d been using Bell (Ghisallo/Volt) helmets for several and mixed it up and bought a Kask Mojito last year. I liked the fit and finish of the Mojito so much that I bought another. They’re made in Italy too, so I felt that I was supporting people that make a fair wage. Some folks swear by MIPS and I can understand the interest.
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing is even when you crash and land on your head you cannot be certain that your helmet did the job worse or better than any other you'd have chosen. Mips and other similar technologies may offer an advantage but last time I checked unless I strangled myself my helmet could move laterally and longitudinally when applying a wee bit of force by hand so is it really game changing ? I doubt it.

Last test I read the conclusion was that the best helmet in term of safety wasn't an helmet but that danish HŲvding thing. I could imagine using it on the road but I would be very wary of false positive when riding off road (I think they don't recommend them for doing MTB) where sudden and complete stop can happen. And they it is one time use so if it is deployed by a false positive you end up finishing your ride without protection and 300€ less in the wallet.

It might still be the way of the future, I'd like to try one (but not in the literal sense), at least for urban riding.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 07-02-2020 at 11:15 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was using GIRO for many years and now switched to POC.

It’s a bit political discussing this ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Regarding MIPS, I think the concept is sound. Rotational velocity imparted to the head is much more likely to cause severe injury than a straight-on blow. MIPS aims to reduce that.

It's the result of actual R&D:

PS In the early days of styrofoam brain buckets they had cloth covers that had a lot of friction on the pavement in a crash. This would impart a very serious twist to your head and neck and I have several friends with permanent injuries.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. ó James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MIPS may or may not always help but it’s not expensive so I don’t see any reason to not get it.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Other than helmets using mips(may or maynot help) don't all helmets have the same amount of protection, meet the same safety standards, if some claim better protection is there empirical knowledge to back it up? Isn't it primarily fit/finish/weight and marketing that separates the $40 from the $400 helmets?
    Take care of yourself in this time of crisis and realize sadness, anger and grief are part of the process Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure all of you are aware of the testing that a lab at Virginia Tech University is doing, but in case you don't know:

Bicycle Helmet Ratings

I don't think there is much to discuss about it. Choose among the 5-star ones the helmet that fits you better regarding your type of riding, your style preference and your budget. Done!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having just knocked my head on the pavement while wearing a POC Ventral Spin AVIP I can heartedly endorse it. It did its job, POC gave me 40% off a replacement. Here's what I really like about the POC. The rear section extends a bit lower than many helmets (and that's exactly where my head and pavement made contact). But most important and I think this is true for any helmet: it really fits my head shape so it sits squarely and tightly and doesn't move up or down or side to side. I suspect that for any decent helmet, fit is the key element.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Costello View Post
    so it sits squarely and tightly and doesn't move up or down or side to side.
    This is the part where I'm struggling. Movement, by as much as half a centimeter, is what mips/wavecell and similar technologies are meant to allow.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 07-02-2020 at 06:53 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    This is the part where I'm struggling. Movement, by as much as half a centimeter, is what mips/wavecell and similar technologies are meant to allow.
    I only play a scientist on TV and feel yah brother. I'm more inclined to have faith in the helmets ability to take a single hard hit and slide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So many variables involved I can't see how that is possible over the course of many random accidents. Having said that I just ordered a mipps type helmet.
    Take care of yourself in this time of crisis and realize sadness, anger and grief are part of the process Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I crashed wearing my MIPS spherical Aether (I knew that sticky bottle at 40km/hr was a bad idea) - While I can't say it made a difference, the MIPS absolutely worked as designed even with some movement on my head. How do I know? There was road scratching on both the outer shell and the secondary roll cage surface.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The POC Avip is their mips. When I say it doesn't move I meant it fits well enough that its not loose, either side to side nor up and down, i.e sloppy enough to move a lot. Some helmets just don't fit my head well and even with the inner adjusting band the outer helmet will still move - a lot. I didn't mean to imply that it wouldn't move enough for the mips concept to work. All I know is I went down hard enough that 3 weeks later my right lower quadrant is still locked up and not working the way it should and my head hit hard enough that I had my wife take me to urgent care and they ran through the concussion protocol. I probably had a very mild concussion and am quite happy that it wasn't worse. Maybe the result would have been the same with any old helmet but combine POC's emphasis on safety (including the hi viz orange color), the fit, ventilation -- it was an easy choice to use the crash replacement and get another one just like the broken one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Costello View Post
    The POC Avip is their mips. When I say it doesn't move I meant it fits well enough that its not loose, either side to side nor up and down, i.e sloppy enough to move a lot. Some helmets just don't fit my head well and even with the inner adjusting band the outer helmet will still move - a lot. I didn't mean to imply that it wouldn't move enough for the mips concept to work. All I know is I went down hard enough that 3 weeks later my right lower quadrant is still locked up and not working the way it should and my head hit hard enough that I had my wife take me to urgent care and they ran through the concussion protocol. I probably had a very mild concussion and am quite happy that it wasn't worse. Maybe the result would have been the same with any old helmet but combine POC's emphasis on safety (including the hi viz orange color), the fit, ventilation -- it was an easy choice to use the crash replacement and get another one just like the broken one.
    To be perfectly exact, AVIP is their acronym for their hi visibility clothing/helmet range with bright orange color. Their mips like tech is called SPIN for Shearing Pad INside.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toddykins View Post
    I crashed wearing my MIPS spherical Aether (I knew that sticky bottle at 40km/hr was a bad idea) - While I can't say it made a difference, the MIPS absolutely worked as designed even with some movement on my head. How do I know? There was road scratching on both the outer shell and the secondary roll cage surface.
    Good to hear. I just received my new Aether in yesterday's mail, and look forward to trying it out (not in the crash sense).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is only anecdotal, but it's such a powerful anecdote that it single-handedly sold several dozen Wavecell helmets in the NYC area last fall:

Last September my wife had a horrific crash while wearing her Bontrager Specter Wavecell helmet. In a complete fluke of unlikelihood a small stick got wedged in between her front rim and fork while she was riding at ~20mph, locking up the front wheel instantly with enough force to buckle the steel frame in three separate locations. The rapid deceleration upended the bike and pitched her up into the air, over the bars, and straight down (vertically) onto her head. Needless to say, the helmet was destroyed. So was her C2 vertebrae; completely shattered.

But she had absolutely no head trauma. No concussion, no brain injury, no damage to her head or its contents whatsoever.

And Trek gave her a replacement helmet for free.

Full disclosure: I'm one of the two dozen or so folks who got a Bontrager Specter Wavecell helmet as a result of that anecdote. It's a pretty nice helmet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ride 30% of the time without a helmet because heat / discomfort.
    Interested in the most open designs to fill in those 30%.
    It seems as modern helmets are less open (more aero?) than several years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Staying out of the religious debate above, the sweat guide feature of the Bell Z20, and other Bell helmets, is the best thing to happen to Helmer’s since the 80s
    David Benson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast