User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Helmets, what is worthwhile and what is hype?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Helmets, what is worthwhile and what is hype?

Quote Originally Posted by rabo View Post
    I ride 30% of the time without a helmet because heat / discomfort.
    Interested in the most open designs to fill in those 30%.
    It seems as modern helmets are less open (more aero?) than several years ago.
    I love my Poc Octal. Coolest helmet I have ever owned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another thing that is overlooked when discussing helmet safety is cuts and abrasions. Even relatively small incidents can cause a gusher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got a HEXR helmet made and have been wearing it since February. I’ve not tested it’s crash worthiness but can say it’s easily the most comfortable helmet I’ve worn, which I expected as it’s 3D printed from a scan of your head. It’s the first helmet I’ve had where I genuinely find it hard to feel if it’s on my head, the pressure around is so even. And because it’s not made of insulating styrofoam it’s also does a great job of keeping your head cool. Expensive but worth it IMO.
    Instagram: rellonchris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
    I got a HEXR helmet made and have been wearing it since February. I’ve not tested it’s crash worthiness but can say it’s easily the most comfortable helmet I’ve worn, which I expected as it’s 3D printed from a scan of your head. It’s the first helmet I’ve had where I genuinely find it hard to feel if it’s on my head, the pressure around is so even. And because it’s not made of insulating styrofoam it’s also does a great job of keeping your head cool. Expensive but worth it IMO.
    Dang.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not a physicist or package designer nor do I understand this stuff but it is interesting that the Wave Cell that @Bob Ross mentioned and the Hexr that @chrisn talked about seem to have an interior that is like a honeycomb design.

So, I googled honey comb and this is part of what I got..."A honeycomb shaped structure provides a material with minimal density and relative high out-of-plane compression properties and out-of-plane shear properties".

I am wondering, in my non-scientifically trained mind, if there is something to the honeycomb thing that perhaps helmet material design/ engineering has been missing that could now become a "trend" that is not fashion but science. Or is that just a rabbit hole of the hype in the OP thread title?
    ę†If I knew what I was doing, Iíd be doing it right now†Ľ

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
    I got a HEXR helmet made and have been wearing it since February. Iíve not tested itís crash worthiness but can say itís easily the most comfortable helmet Iíve worn, which I expected as itís 3D printed from a scan of your head. Itís the first helmet Iíve had where I genuinely find it hard to feel if itís on my head, the pressure around is so even. And because itís not made of insulating styrofoam itís also does a great job of keeping your head cool. Expensive but worth it IMO.
    I must have missed this when it came out but it is very interesting. I have an XL melon and have never been able to find a helmet that fits GREAT. Some are OK but the shape is never quite right and so few helmets are available in XL the selection is very limited. And living in the desert I find they are all hot no matter how many vents they have.

I just ordered a new helmet today that wasn't much cheaper than the HEXR but is returnable. Hmmm. I wonder if HEXR ships to the USA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My former boss crashed her bike whilst cycling in France back in 2010. It was a head and hands first impact off the side of a rural road into a deep table drain at approx. 25km/hr.

Among other injuries she suffered were multiple cervical vertebrae fractures and a partial contusion/bulge to the spinal cord somewhere in the cervical area. Major deal - 9 weeks in traction in a French hospital before special pressurised medical evac flights to Australia then another 6 months of traction before coming out of hospital and another 12 months before any real normality to life.

Upshot of all this is that I remain in touch with her and she told me her surgeon has recommended a MIPS equipped helmets saying it's highly likely her injuries would have been significantly less had she had exactly the same impact with a MIPS helmet.

So when I decide my Met Stradivarius is no longer of service I'll be looking for an all yellow MIPS equipped helmet............

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    I am not a physicist or package designer nor do I understand this stuff but it is interesting that the Wave Cell that @Bob Ross mentioned and the Hexr that @chrisn talked about seem to have an interior that is like a honeycomb design.

So, I googled honey comb and this is part of what I got..."A honeycomb shaped structure provides a material with minimal density and relative high out-of-plane compression properties and out-of-plane shear properties".

I am wondering, in my non-scientifically trained mind, if there is something to the honeycomb thing that perhaps helmet material design/ engineering has been missing that could now become a "trend" that is not fashion but science. Or is that just a rabbit hole of the hype in the OP thread title?
    I can't pretend to understand all the requirements for helmets, but the sandwich structure has been proven in many applications, some of which uses a honeycomb structure (made of a variety of materials) sandwiched between two sheets (metal, composite, etc). I looked at using the honeycomb option for a carbon fibre product, but it would have been a complete overkill for the application so we opted for foam instead. Anyway, I've often wondered why the honeycomb idea wasn't being used in helmets and just assumed that there must be a reason why it isn't suitable for helmet use. Then, HEXR came out with it. Their argument sounds very persuasive.

And their personalisation feature is great for a difficult head shape like mine. One of my lids is probably due for a replacement next year, so I plan to order one from HEXR.

@chrisn, many thanks for that feedback.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NotFadeAway View Post
    I must have missed this when it came out but it is very interesting. I have an XL melon and have never been able to find a helmet that fits GREAT. Some are OK but the shape is never quite right and so few helmets are available in XL the selection is very limited. And living in the desert I find they are all hot no matter how many vents they have.

I just ordered a new helmet today that wasn't much cheaper than the HEXR but is returnable. Hmmm. I wonder if HEXR ships to the USA.
    Tricky head size was my main driver - my head is 59.5cm which is bang in between most manufacturers sizing. So I'd often end up with a tight medium or an overly big size large. For the HEXR I had the scan done in central London at one of their authorized dealers (Bespoke Cycling). They just did the scan using an app on an ipad, so I think the plan is that you will be able to do this from home at some point. You just put a skull cap on to flatten down your hair. If you want to wear a cap under the helmet you just take out the minimal padding. The helmet comes with a traditional retention device incase its too much of a leap to ride without one, but you really don't need it, the fit is so good. Hopefully as the tech gets more mature it will also come down in price. While you wait for the helmet to be produced (6 weeks for mine) you do get a rather funny image of what your scan looked like.

I posted some pics at the time in this thread here: https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...tml#post988768

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm agnostic about MIPS, but I am positive that screens over the vents to keep out bees and deer flies is worthwhile technology.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A helmet like Lumos is great for commuting with traffic. Their emphasis is on prevention the accident in addition to protection during an impact. It has an integrated light front and back connected to blue tooth turn signal buttons on the handlebars to indicate the way you are turning. It also has a decelerometer so that under hard braking, the light is brighter like a car brake light.
    My wife bought me one with their original kickstarter campaign a few years back. Fred Tech was my thought at the time. I use it religiously for commuting to work. (Northwest winters with low light and rain or mist)I have people roll down the window at stop signs about every two weeks in the winter to praise the helmet. They see me, and know my intentions. I have been truly amazed.
    I'm a believer. I think their newest helmet has MIPs available as well
    http://https://lumoshelmet.co/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dennis View Post
    A helmet like Lumos is great for commuting with traffic. Their emphasis is on prevention the accident in addition to protection during an impact. It has an integrated light front and back connected to blue tooth turn signal buttons on the handlebars to indicate the way you are turning. It also has a decelerometer so that under hard braking, the light is brighter like a car brake light.
    My wife bought me one with their original kickstarter campaign a few years back. Fred Tech was my thought at the time. I use it religiously for commuting to work. (Northwest winters with low light and rain or mist)I have people roll down the window at stop signs about every two weeks in the winter to praise the helmet. They see me, and know my intentions. I have been truly amazed.
    I'm a believer. I think their newest helmet has MIPs available as well
    http://https://lumoshelmet.co/
    I guess its probably not a new idea but it does look really really well implemented - especially in their latest helmet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can vouch for the Lumos helmet, I have and like mine very much. Use seasonally, but never fails to get me noticed. I (finally) saw one on someone else from a distance, it really does help. My daughter bough it for me as a gift, took me a while to try, but glad to have it.

I'm also very interested in the Hexr, wow, does that look like a great solution..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's several areas of "good" here. Safety is the most important clearly. MIPS and Wavecell are newer options for crash protection. Potentially better but remember that ALL helmets meet the same minimum safety rating. Comfort comes from fit, strap adjustability, pad placement, venting. These are much more difficult to know without trying on a bunch to see what potentially works for you. In recent years, it's also been about aerodynamic drag. While there is a measureable difference in helmets, it's not the majority that are interested.

Someone on page one mentioned the sweat guide, which I have on a Bell Z20. That is a really great feature for those that both ride in hot climates and sweat profusely (i.e. me).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wasfast View Post
    Someone on page one mentioned the sweat guide, which I have on a Bell Z20. That is a really great feature for those that both ride in hot climates and sweat profusely (i.e. me).
    I have Z20 on order and really hoping it will fit since I'm right at the upper edge of their L size. Since I live in a hot climate and sweat profusely I'm glad to hear the sweat guide works as claimed.

If I rode in an urban environment in low light or at night the Lumos looks like a great idea for visibility.

And COVID-19 seems to be having an impact on helmet availability just like most other cycling items. I was lucky to find a Large Z20 in a color I liked since it seems most helmets are sold out of have only a tiny selection available, mostly in size Small in colors I wouldn't want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too-Tall wrote:
    I was using GIRO for many years and now switched to POC.

Josh, do you find the shape of the POC is similar to Giro? I've been using them for years since they seem to fit the shape of my noggin better than other brands I've tried.

Bill Bryant
    Santa Cruz, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Re: Helmets, what is worthwhile and what is hype?

Does anybody still manufacture old school hairnet helmets? For over 50 years it was all anybody needed.

Heritage_Section_1024x1024.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tour de France 1992

Laurent in his old school helmet next to Greg in his modern one.
    Old school for the win. Laurent Fignon gone too soon.

713662_o.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NotFadeAway View Post
    If I rode in an urban environment in low light or at night the Lumos looks like a great idea for visibility..
    I bought a Bell Formula LED Mips as my everyday helmet. It has the Sweat Guide that I love on my Z20.
    Im not betting my life on it, but drivers seem to be more considerate than I would expect when Im riding with the LED flashing. YMMV.
    David Benson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12