Thread: Head bikes or heart bikes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Head bikes or heart bikes?

So there are bikes that are bought with the head and those with the heart

To those of you that have both which do you prefer?

I would roughly define a head bike as something that although it may fit and do what it needs to do does not move you (budget may be a big factor here)

A heart bike is something that you just can't stop thinking about although it may not be as well engineered as a head bike

Obviously a dream bike does both

So, if you catch my drift, which is best? or is it just dependent on whether you're a head or heart person.

Broken heart stories and busted head tales appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Head bikes or heart bikes?

Okay, I'll bite.

For a long time I lusted after older Italian steel bikes. The first one I bought was a used 1980s Derosa SLX-tubed Super Prestige. Despite being my size, it rode like crap. Super sketchy going downhill and kind of dull uphill and out of the saddle. The paint and chrome were not holding up well. I bought it because I lusted after its skinny tubes and chromed bits.

A few months later I bought a 1990s Tommasini (a used blue Sintesi like those from Colorado Cyclist catalog). This one rode like a dream. The lug, paint and chrome work were superior to the older De Rosa. I ended up selling the De Rosa soon after.

Overall, I think most of my bike purchases are heart-guided. If they don't get me excited or move me... why bother? I guess if I were racing, I might be inclined to use something sensible, functional and replaceable. I guess my fendered beater bike purchase was head-guided even though I do enjoy riding it.
    Last edited by fletcher; 10-21-2011 at 10:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad it's not just me
    I had a thing for steel Daccordi's but they were never meant for 10 speed..
    I have a Felt Z which feels and fits great but I just don't feel it like I have other bikes though this is the best bike I've had in termes of performance and comfort

I'm looking at custom and there are some builders that I really appreciate their engineering and what they feel bikes should be about
    and I just like the look of their bikes but don't love them
    Then there are others who look great but the tech side seems less prevalent in their posts/blogs

I' still saving so I don't have to decide for a while yet..

ta for the reply

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started out on an 80s Japanese lugged steel superbike and have ridden budget Italian steel, eastern Euro aluminum, open-mold Chinese carbon, domestic production aluminum and (soon) custom steel.

I don't think I've ever owned a head bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's a full-on race bike = head.
    If it's the last bike I'll ever have to ride/do whatever on = heart.

I'm more into heart bikes @ this point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

head says: you need a commuter...anything will do
    heart say: Hampco can build exactly what you want
    In the world of bikes and single malt, heart wins every time

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Oh, I like this thread - for me it is a constant battle of head vs. heart for many things in life. For my next bike, I chose the builder with my head - he's local, he has a very good reputation, he's my size and experiments with/tests his own bikes constantly, he teaches framebuilding classes on the side, and he is a nice guy who will be good to work with. On the flip side, there are other builders who make my heart thump more on a consistant basis. But I think - hope, believe - that it will all come together for the dream bike.

I tend to keep bikes a long time. Knowing this, and having been screwed by the builder of a previous custom, I had to let my head drive the decision. And my heart sometimes wonders if I made the right choice, now only time will tell.

Other comments on this thread have been right on the money. Good stuff.

Harth
    Wabi Woolens - Quality Wool Cycling Jerseys

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heart bikes here.

My first road bike, a Specialized Allez, was fun and all the bike I need. I replaced it with an '80s era steel Pinarello which I dearly love. I look at the Pinarello and instantly want to ride.

On the commuter side, I've got a Raleigh One-Way which was bought with the head. It has all the features you'd want in a commuter (okay, sans gears). The commuter I ride the most, though, is the Brompton I bought on impulse.

Heart bikes every time. They make you want to get out and ride; which is the point of the whole exercise, isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only have heart bikes but no matter how much I love a bike, I won't get it unless the head signs off on it.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm-

It needs to fit and do what it's supposed to do- otherwise it's not even on the table. After that- heart bike. It's enough work to make a mediocre bike that gets the job done that one might as well go after the sex and fire and feel the rewards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    Hmm-

It needs to fit and do what it's supposed to do- otherwise it's not even on the table. After that- heart bike. It's enough work to make a mediocre bike that gets the job done that one might as well go after the sex and fire and feel the rewards.
    Yep. It has to fit and have a ride quality that you appreciate. After that it's all about the love. If you don't love it (no matter how correct it is) you won't ride it. Except as maybe the rain/winter/might be involved in a crash bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edoz View Post
    I only have heart bikes but no matter how much I love a bike, I won't get it unless the head signs off on it.
    This.

Every one I have was an emotional purchase at some level. But that was affirmed by something. Looks by TdF riders. Zank by so many positive reviews. Same with the Serotta.

The only head decisions were based on need at the time - Grandis in 1987 when my Gitane broke. And the need for a real winter ride with the Redline.

Every bike I didn't love for some great positive quality is gone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, it's always been a mix of heart and head. When I was newer to the sport 20+ years ago, it was mostly heart. My first lugged steel Torelli spoke to my Italian soul. As I became more involved in racing, the bikes became more tools, and the head lead decisions. I tend to pick my bikes now for their functionality first, with my heart making sure they don't look "bad" in my eyes. My current Cannondale race bikes are very much racing tools, but I think they have a purposeful sensibility about them and look like they're all business.

- Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Merlin mtn bike is a heart bike. I love riding it, and I love looking at it.
    My Litespeed Toccoa mtn bike is more of a head bike. Bought for a purpose, to convert to a travel bike with S&S couplers. It rides great, better than the Merlin in some respects but I don't love it. But because of its functionality as a travel bike, it'll stick around.