User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: have you put your cycling helmet to work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default have you put your cycling helmet to work?

yesterday, my father-in-law was riding his havnoonian in haverford, pa and, while slowing down to 10 mph for road construction, was gobbled up by grooved pavement, thrown in the air, landed on his head and rolled onto his shoulder (i know, ride around it next time).

his shoulder is a bit bruised and sore but he is otherwise fine. the helmet is cracked having taken all of the impact - saved from a concussion?

have you been saved by a cycling helmet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Twice.

Once I was on the road and sent over the bars. Face plant, 2 broken teeth and 8 stitches in my the lip they went through. The front of the helmet was cracked so I guess it minimized the damage to some degree. My nose was sideways for a little while (all cartilage).

Second time was offroad and I cracked the side of the helmet going down after a bad landing. Shoulder was in a lot of pain, but the head was all good.

-Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

racer dude i know crashed about a month ago and cracked his helmet after hitting a surprise hole in the road and going head over heels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was once crashed going a whopping 5mph and hit my head so hard, that my helmet was cracked and had a headache for 3 days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If only I had been wearing a helmet ...
    Last August, heading back to work for the second shift (just a short ride, going slow etc.) a plastic shopping bag blew into my front wheel and lodged in the break pads. I did a pile driver, split my head open to the skull puncturing an artery along the way. Things happen fast: 40 stiches, plastic surgery, and a couple of dozen 'I told you so's' later, I keep the brain bucket by the door.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've broken two. One year apart to the day for some odd reason of celestial mechanics.

First was a stupid slow speed unclip fail which put me on the ground looking up at at a Colllie standing there barking at my stupidity.

The second happened when the internals on my AC wheel let go during an out of the saddle sprint resulting in a multiple cartwheel endover. Lots of rash and blood.

Who knows if the helmets saved me from a concussion or a fractured skull, but at a minimum it prevented a big patch of hair encrusted road rash on the back of my head. And who wants that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Helmet 'Works' Everyday

to hold my mirror. (with apologies to Swoop's sensibilities)

More seriously, I wear mine informed by experiences I've had ski racing and riding motorcycles in the dirt.
    Falling involves a lot of uncontrolled variables.

-JimD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Took a big spill this Spring and I don't think I hit my head. I got back on and finished the lap before I started feeling any injuries. Glasses were bent-I had to hit my face or head on something to do that I reckon.

I may smash one today, but so far I haven't cracked a helmet and only really remember hitting my helmeted head once.

There goes that theory of my development. Here I am seconds after impact and dismount...there's a small, sturdy tree just uphill of that location.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is nice to read some accounts for a change that don't start with a "my helmet saved my life". Tests show that helmets do help to protect your brain in a crash but they only contribute a very small amount relative to your skull and the amazing suspension system around your brain. However, there is no doubt whatsoever that they can save lives, and that they frequently prevent nasty skin loss on your head and minimize facial damage.

I recently had a high speed crash where I was knocked unconscious with only slight compression at the side of my helmet that I am not even sure was a result of the crash. Although I have no memory of the crash I assume that it was a high acceleration head-whipping that knocked me out --it was apparent from my injuries that my shoulder hit first. However, the shell of the helmet was deeply ground from a long slide on exceedingly rough asphault while I was unconscious, and it clearly saved me from a really nasty scalp injury --too bad that the rest of my body was unprotected.

I also had a crash in pre-helmet days where I was knocked unconscious by riding into the back of a dump truck that was parked by the side of the road in a snowstorm. If I had been wearing a helmet I could have proclaimed that it saved my life; however I don't believe it would have even prevented the concussion.

HOWEVER, despite my non-mainstream view regarding helmets I almost never ride without one and am very careful to have it adjusted properly.

Lew

edit: after riding JimD's post I think I should add that my comments only pertain to bicycling helmets --the helmets for motorcyclists and for many other sports where more weight can be tolerated routinely save lives.
    Last edited by FMS rider; 06-29-2008 at 11:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 examples from the past month....the first, a coworker had an (old-ish) LOOK pedal shear off and took a header, shattered his helmet to bits. He messed up a hand, but was fine otherwise. The second, a friend bit it in a race last week....helmet was cracked, doesn't remember hitting his head...but no concussion, etc. Just two mangled hands!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default one this year

i am the one who run in to the camera man. i cracked it on his shoulder.
    JUNIOR
    Chuck Norris is expected to win gold in every swimming competition at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, even though Chuck Norris does not swim. This is because when Chuck Norris enters the water, the water gets out of his way and Chuck Norris simply walks across the pool floor.
    http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/
    sponsored by Jonathan Greene Cycles check him out here http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...5335004?ref=ts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was on the UCSD Campus and tried riding down a flight of steps on the Dr. Seuss Library. That was awkward and bumpy so I decided to try again carrying more speed, pop a little wheelie at the top, land on my rear wheel and let the suspension absorb the impact. It looks easy when the pros do it. I cleared 3 1/2 steps, the rear wheel hit the last one slamming the bike onto the front wheel and me on my forehead cracking my helmet and shattering my "unbreakable sunglasses. I kept the helmet hanging by my bike stuff for a few years as a reminder to wear its replacement and I usually (not always for short errands) do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Oooooooo, YESSSSS!

When I went over the handlebars my thought was "oh $#!T, this is gonna hurt!" When my neck snapped back and my helmet hit the pavement with the sound of a ball-peen hammer hitting a concrete block my thoughts were "thanks Marsha, NOW I know why you wanted me to buy this thing!"
    Last edited by trophyoftexas; 06-29-2008 at 12:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I must be a real klutz

3 times in three years basically over the bars onto the lower back and a whip finish with the back of the head onto pavement, minor variations with each as far as form, speed and roadrash, but outcome always the same, my continued ability to complete the ride without what may have been serious injury. Gloves help too! A 4th time involved over the bars down an embankment and into the center of a MASSIVE mature 3" diameter stemmed Rosa multiflora, stuck and hurting, felt bad stinging, all over, hmmm gathersd my thoughts discovered that the stinging was hornets all over my body, those gloves allowed me to pull myself out of that shit, turns out when I landed in the shrub my helmet hit one of those big round hornets nests which angered the occupants to no end, ended up with lotsa deep scratches, 7 hornet stings and a certain narley look. Completed the rest of the ride. I mean what else could happen after that,damn those stings itched for weeks.
    no matter where ya go...there you are

ummm welcome to the monkey house

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah,
    I've cracked several helmets while trail riding, one while road riding.
    One I caught a stick in a ditch (I'd ridden through the day before, no sticks) with my front wheel at about 18mph and did the whole, rotate around the front wheel and slam into the bank of the ditch on the other side. That closed head injury took 3 years to recover an incomplete amount of my brain function.

Another was my first year of road riding in groups I crossed someone's wheel. Cracked the helmet on the pavement, not much worse for wear.

A tree on the trail cracked another...

and when I was broadsided on the mortocycle the first thing to hit pavement was my outstretched arm (drat) and the second was the chin of my full face helmet. Just scuffed the helmet a little in a couple places.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I busted one when I was racing in college a loooong time ago. Coming down a shallow, but long down hill at the end of a 40 mile ride in early April. Spinning a 52-13 as fast as I can - probably 40+ (it was so long ago, there weren't computers) - came by the driveway to a shopping center, look up and all I can see is green paint, and a Ford F-150 logo.

I hit the pickup with my front wheel, then head, then went over the hood with the bike still attached (old school cleats and straps) and hit the ground hands first, then head then shoulder. Broken nose, broken jaw, broken collar bone8 stitches from the chain ring in my ankle, a moderate concussion and LOTS of road rash. The helmet was in three pieces.

Ever since, I wear one every time I go out.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

During one rain soaked crit in downtown Portland, four of us were off the front and hammering away. I had just finished my pull and cycled to the back when going into a corner the guy in front of me went down and I had nowhere to go but right into him getting launched right over the handle bars. It's funny because I could see the ground coming in slow motion, and the word reverberating through my brain was "ROLL, ROLL, ROLL... Basically I believe I went into a shoulder roll, rolled over, then ended up back onto my feet in a very strange sort of "TA-DAA" moment. I'm standing there for a second trying to process what had just happened when I hear a "WHOOSH!" coming up behind me and start to see a blur in the corner of my eye as I turn my head. As I instinctively jump away from the noise, the peloton goes racing by just missing me and averting a nasty pile up. I grabbed my bike to jump back on when I realized my front and rear wheels were tacoed. I put my bike up onto my shoulder and walked back to my car to survey the damage and nurse my wounds. It wasn’t until I took my helmet off that I realized that the whole back of my helmet was smashed in. I never felt my head hit the ground at all.

William
    You know you're semi-good looking...