Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Handmade Exhibitor Numbers Holding Firm

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Handmade Exhibitor Numbers Holding Firm

SPEEDWAY, IN (BRAIN)?Despite a down economy, the 5th annual North American Handmade Bicycle Show (NAHBS) is holding its own, with 115 exhibitors as of yesterday.

While this is not the record 150 set in Portland in 2008, it is up from to the 2007 figure of 105 in San Jose?in a good economy.

?It could be that the Portland number was a spike,? said industry expert Elliot Gluskin, of Gluskin Townley Associates. If so, exhibitor growth at NAHBS in 2009 would be considered healthy.

Given the concentration of builders in California (in 2008, 42 exhibitors came from California), show exhibitor attendance is very strong in light of the fact that a significant number of California builders have decided to skip the Indianapolis show, and many of the Portland builders are too small to travel this far.

?Some of the builders couldn?t see a market in the Midwest, others said they are ready to skip a year. I respect everybody?s reasons, but I still say all those that aren?t at the Indy show will miss out. I think a lot of people at the coastal fringes underestimate the economic power of the Midwest,? said show founder and director Don Walker.

With the assistance of Indianapolis retailer Bicycle Garage Indy, news of the show has spread far and wide in the Midwest. Word on the street is that some small towns will not have any bike shops open on at least one of the show days, because all staff will be at the NAHBS.

?That?s what I?ve been told,? said Tim O?Donnell of Shamrock Cycles, who has been helping distribute NAHBS postcards. ?Folks from all of the neighboring cities will be there."

Industry rep. Pat Mahoney, who works in the Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana markets, has also been distributing NAHBS postcards to bike shops around his region and said, ?I?ve been getting a lot of positive feedback. Everybody I?ve dropped off cards with says they?ll be at the show. I could see that some of the smaller shops would have to close if they?re all going to the show.?

The NAHBS takes place February 27 - March 1, 2009 at the Indiana Convention Center, Indianapolis.

More...

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Look forward to seeing all out there. This will be my first time. There is talk on the Serotta Forum to meeting at Dave Kirk's booth about 10 minutes before closing on SAT - and then at close going to find some "eats" and refreshments.

I also would not be shocked if a few do not want to do the same on Friday evening for those that are interested and in town. From what I hear about last year, e-richie was the life of the Sat party!!

Post Thanks / Like

Pete, what's the secret handshake this yr.?

Post Thanks / Like

YouTube - Free masons

Sound about right?

DW

Post Thanks / Like

I talked with a builder who is weighing the wisdom of attending a show with its attendent costs (pun intended) when: the economy is scary, he has quite a wait-list already, travelling in winter is iffy, he will betaking time off from building and family.

I know it's fun to get together at these shows for builders and fans alike. Les and I were at San Jose. I'm not sure that there is a sound business reason for some builders to attend if they already have all the business they can handle.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
    I talked with a builder who is weighing the wisdom of attending a show with its attendent costs (pun intended) when: the economy is scary, he has quite a wait-list already, travelling in winter is iffy, he will betaking time off from building and family.

I know it's fun to get together at these shows for builders and fans alike. Les and I were at San Jose. I'm not sure that there is a sound business reason for some builders to attend if they already have all the business they can handle.
    it helps the niche. we took that POV before nahbs 1.0 and just because
    we have work doesn't mean we shouldn't work to support others who are
    in need. without the support year after year, the trade might need another
    jumpstart in 2017. folks forgot about some lean years. let's avoid them by
    keeping nahbs nahbs, and supporting it atmo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    it helps the niche. we took that POV before nahbs 1.0 and just because
    jumpstart in 2017. folks forgot about some lean years. let's avoid them by
    keeping nahbs nahbs, and supporting it atmo.
    +1
    I'm with you lil' buddy. (skipper to gilligan).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    And just because
    jumpstart in 2017. atmo.
    atmo**2

Post Thanks / Like

There are shows and then there's THE Show. Small business is full of guesswork and compromise and trade-offs. Each person has to work that out on his own. If builders with healthy queues didn't attend, it would be a small thing. Folks want to meet the guys/gals who have the long lists!

A LeftCoaster mentioned to me that he thought attendance would be down...I think he's completely wrong.

We're going to have a ton of first-show-ever attendees. And we're all going to have a blast.:thumbs_up:

Post Thanks / Like

Short sighted IMO... even if they're not interested in the building the niche, they're missing out on other revenue streams.

Sell the t-shirt, water bottle, messenger bag. Even if they have a substantial backlog so that new orders aren't important (at this moment) , contact with the public builds the brand. Like Wade said, folks want to meet the guys with the long lists - they want to associate and rub shoulders with the cool kids from the lunch table even if they're not placing an order - and take home a little something to show that they're cool too.

Post Thanks / Like

I never said I thought attending the show was a bad idea. I said one builder told me he might might pass this year and that I can understand his thoughts on that. Not all builders sell t-shirts and other stuff including components for other builders to use. I think people in business who want to stay in business have to evaluate every effort and expenditure in light of their business plan and projected work and cash flow.

I love the shows. I'll certainly be at the San Diego Show in April. I hope every builder comes to that one. I offered an air mattress on my floor to one builder if saving hotel costs (or eating my beef) would make the show more affordable or fun for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Pete, what's the secret handshake this yr.?

a twenty from your hand to mine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Mckeon View Post
    I love the recession.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Yes,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I love the recession.

It is saving you money!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Mckeon View Post
    Get in now............ touching Pete used to cost $50!

Did I say that aloud?

dave
    D. Kirk
    Kirk Frameworks Co.
    www.kirkframeworks.com

Post Thanks / Like

I think people in business who want to stay in business have to evaluate every effort and expenditure in light of their business plan and projected work and cash flow.
    Agreed!

...and I can't think of a better place to make a slim marketing budget go further,
    than by making a splash at NAHBS. Especially in tough times, a business has
    to effectively market themselves to their customers. NAHBS offers an opportunity
    like no other.

-g

Post Thanks / Like

Wade is on it. There's a bunch of us non-coasters who will be there. Heck, even coming from the state sandwiched between two fresh water coasts I'll be there. Would it have been neat to make it to Oregon or Texas? Sure, but this one is a drive and not a week of vacation. It'll bring out folks.

As a customer why go? I'll get to meet more builders, see one who's building a frame, I'll even have a bike in a booth. Bringing along some folks who are potential customers, others who just like to look at things like show cars, bikes and art. Some who want to see what it's all about. As stock rides have climbed in cost, it's another reason to make the case to someone to get a custom made.

It's good to move the show around the country, there are builders all around. Customers are all around too. The momentum that handmade has going now is superb. To keep it going even better. Let the pundits be surprised.

Looking forward to meeting more of you and of course, looking at some fine handwork!

- Anne
    Anne G
    Aiming to KICK cancer's butt this time around
    Dancing with NED, raising funds for METS research