Thread: Handlebar Camera Bag

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Handlebar Camera Bag

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    Missed the no-dividers bit on the Shimoda. Damn... I may do the small Atlas after all, activate penny saving mode...
    I am going to buy a couple of the Shimoda inserts and use them in an existing backpack that I like. Then if I decide later to buy the Shimoda 30 backpack, I'll be set. But otherwise I think their inserts are actually super useful in a regular backpack, especially since they come with "skins" that completely encase & protect the insert and its contents. I have a couple Domke and Tenba inserts, but they are very poorly made. Not much protection, and I've broken one lens while using them.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Joe, I was looking at the Mindshift 34L version of the bag above. I think that's larger than the one you tested? I like it but need to get a 13" MacBook Pro in it. Didn't have one with me when I looked at the bag, but it sorta kinda looked like it might fit?

Also was looking at this Shimoda Designs Explore 30 backpack. Really sexy looking with way too many outside dangles, but interior design seems great. You can change how much of the interior is devoted to cameras, etc. and zip in dividers for other things. Hmm.

Started looking at this LowePro Flipside which seems ok, then remembered your post and checked out the MindShift and ended up down a deep wormhole while looking for a Mission Workshop Integer.

OY!!
    The 34L would be a really big bag, If you had to carry a laptop and a lot of lenses I like the TrailScape 18L Compact but High Capacity Outdoor Photography Backpack • Think Tank Photo . I have it and use it when I travel back and forth to Moab. For bike riding though, nothing beats one of those rotation packs!

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    The 34L would be a really big bag, If you had to carry a laptop and a lot of lenses I like the TrailScape 18L Compact but High Capacity Outdoor Photography Backpack • Think Tank Photo . I have it and use it when I travel back and forth to Moab. For bike riding though, nothing beats one of those rotation packs!

-Joe
    Ah good. Thanks! I looked at that one at B&H the other day, and it seemed like a good bag. I have co-opted this handlebar thread while looking for a backpack that will allow me to split the camera storage approx. 70/30 between laptop & assorted carry-on type stuff/camera. I was confused by the size of the Mindshift bag in the store, because it did indeed look huge compared to the ones in your photos. The Trailscape is still a manageable size though.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to take this further off the rails, but the Shimoda bag gets a glowing review by Carryology.

Shimoda Explore 3 Backpack: Drive By - Carryology - Exploring better ways to carry
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Not to take this further off the rails, but the Shimoda bag gets a glowing review by Carryology.

Shimoda Explore 3 Backpack: Drive By - Carryology - Exploring better ways to carry
    Hmmm... They are kinda skimpy on their camera bag review selection and their buyers guide recommendations are kinda hard to take seriously...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“I don’t understand why anyone goes to all the trouble of running for President of the United States to tell us what we can’t do and shouldn’t fight for.”
    Elizabeth Warren

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This might be interesting...

Guy Washburn

“I don’t understand why anyone goes to all the trouble of running for President of the United States to tell us what we can’t do and shouldn’t fight for.”
    Elizabeth Warren

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jorn -- This user review might give useful insight on the Shimoda 30:

Shimoda Explore 30 Bag Review – Urban Backpacking - FM Forums
    Guy Washburn

Elizabeth Warren

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a fan of the Oveja Negra Chuckbucket. I fits my RX1 with room to spare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the Mindshift Gear Rotation which Joe highlights in his post. Within the quite durable flip/rotate around compartment I carry my M4/3 OMD mark ii with a 12-100. The on the bike value for me is if I come across a shot that I'd like but know that
    time is of the essence, the accessibility of this compartment and it's contents is really quite effective. Access to contents of which I don't mind stopping, removing the pack and rummaging around for typically go in the main compartment or smaller secondary pouches
    sprinkled about the top, back and sides. Like a lot of equipment discussed here and elsewhere, it comes down to your respective use case(s). That said, the Mindshift offering is a pretty well designed pack for it's niche.

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    I used an Ortlieb for a while. The handlebar bag plus camera insert:

But I would suggest you get a Mindshift Gear Trail Rotation pack instead. It will have the camera bouncing way less and be useful off the bike. Honestly it has done more for me to get better photos than any other piece of gear, ever.

It has an insert that swings around to the front for your camera, I love this thing!

robonza: Review: MindShift Gear Rotation 18 Trail Photo Backpack

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian E Hammer View Post
    I have the Mindshift Gear Rotation which Joe highlights in his post. Within the quite durable flip/rotate around compartment I carry my M4/3 OMD mark ii with a 12-100. The on the bike value for me is if I come across a shot that I'd like but know that
    time is of the essence, the accessibility of this compartment and it's contents is really quite effective. Access to contents of which I don't mind stopping, removing the pack and rummaging around for typically go in the main compartment or smaller secondary pouches
    sprinkled about the top, back and sides. Like a lot of equipment discussed here and elsewhere, it comes down to your respective use case(s). That said, the Mindshift offering is a pretty well designed pack for it's niche.
    I also bought it at Joe's suggestion. Its fantastic. I rode did an all day MTB ride on saturday with it on very aggressive trails with an a7iii and a 35mm 2.8, with too much extra room. I did another sunday with the tamron 28-70 2.8 zoom. I could open up a 30 second gap on my group, pull over and still get the shot, still on the bike, off the side of the trail, and get back on the end of the group. I also have no problem taking it out while riding on the road. Chiller days I can just take the hip pack out as well.

Wish it had a better main compartment/organization, and room to fit a 2.5L bladder. I can get about 1.75 of my 2.5 liter bladder in there.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Realize it is my fault for changing this into a backpack thread, but I ended up getting a Rapha reflective backpack. The design is similar to the Shimoda bag (well sorta kinda) in that it divides the inner compartment into two sections with a zip in divider. And the main compartment is unzippable so the bag opens flat with each half accessible, though one side is covered/retained by the zip in divider. So I can pack clothes in one side, cameras in various bags/inserts in the other side, laptop in the back sleeve and passport etc. in the front organizer pocket. And best of all, the bag’s entire outer shell is padded slightly, making it knock-around proof, plus the material is a vinyl-like material. So it worked really well as a carry-all backpack these last couple weeks in Japan. But it is not really an on-the-bike camera backpack, except as a transport method, not an active access pack like the Mindshift. I also worry a bit about zipper durability, so we’ll see.

On the bike, I decided not to carry the Leica and just stuff my aged Panasonic DMC-LX7 in my Roadrunner Burrito Supreme, which worked very well actually. The IQ from that camera is very good, I could shoot manual and get good RAW files that have a nice range of adjustability. I also carried a Zeiss 10x25 monocular for on the bike birdwatching that was an excellent compromise and fun to use on the road, plus a paper map backup just in case cellular disappeared (it never did, even in remote mountainous areas - Japan is amazing) snacks and a rain jacket. I wish the opening on the Burrito was somehow larger, but even with a headlight for tunnels and a Wahoo Bolt on the handlebars, I was able to also attach the Burrito and not have any problems with cables or bag bounce. Surprised me how handy having a bag on the front of the bike was, and so I may work on refining the arrangement some and possibly upgrade the camera one notch to the Panasonic LX-100 II (that I nearly bought before going to Japan.)

I can see that I might be moving more towards a randonneur style bag, which is funny because that’s what I used to have back when Trek made touring bikes and I had one of their 531 frames circa 1984 with a Cannondale bag on the front that I really liked (except for the stabilizing straps connected to hooks on the fork eyelets at the dropout.)
    Last edited by j44ke; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:49 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One final comment re the Mindshift Trail Rotation pack. I just returned from 7 days of riding in and around the Icefield's Parkway up in Alberta. As time and events unfolded, I found myself becoming more and more comfortable and surprised by what this pack could accommodate. OMD EM1 Mii with a 45mm lens, accessory pouch, H2O bottle, jacket, vest, gloves, wallet, phone, keys, long sleeve smartwool along with the everyday bike repair ditty left me truly impressed....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys seen the Post Carry bar bag?:

Handlebar Bag – Post Carry Co.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12