User Tag List

Thread: Hamstring Tendinopathy - experience here?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hamstring Tendinopathy - experience here?

Been Ďtrainingí (increasing ride length and frequency) steadily over the last 3-4 months for a ride Iíve entered (Australian version of líEtape - 136km & 2700m climbing) which is in two weeks.

This week a pain in my leg which I thought was a tight hamstring has been diagnosed as hamstring tendinopathy - basically tendinitis at the top of the hamstring.

Has anyone here suffered from this? Any commentary around recovery etc.?

Iím seeing a physiotherapist so Iím working on professional advice already - just want to get a feel for how likely it is that Iíll be doing this ride...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hamstring Tendinopathy - experience here?

There is a lot of discussion over on the triathlon forum, Slowtwitch. Its usually a problem associated with running. Here's one thread

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/S...pathy#p2979770

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by d.bancroft View Post
    There is a lot of discussion over on the triathlon forum, Slowtwitch. Its usually a problem associated with running. Here's one thread

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/S...pathy#p2979770
    Shit. So this could be a long road... but thanks for the heads-up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Position-wise, the only thing that’s changed for me lately is the wider Q-factor of the White Industries cranks on my Hampsten. Could that be the culprit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tendonitis is over-use inflammation. So you just over-did it at some point and then kept going and now you have tendinitis. Good that you've gone to a physiotherapist.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been dealing with this for 4-5 years. Eccentrics and strength training help a lot. As soon as I stop, or over train, it comes back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know youíve been to see a physiologist, and I have no idea how Australian medicine works, but at what point does this transition from a overuse strain to an injury and a visit to a doctor specializing in muscular-skeletal issues is indicated? For example, sounds like you are describing a sort of radiating or spreading pain like (suggested as owner of a body myself and not as a physician with actual knowledge) nerve pain perhaps from something in the lower back, especially if it is to one side and not the other. And you describe it as worsening. So given premise X as the cause, but typical treatment for X shows little result and may in fact be worsening, perhaps the symptoms associated with X are actually caused by Y which has a different prescription for recovery. Meaning is it the hamstring leading to the hip pain or is it something undiagnosed in a disc or similar that is causing the hamstring and hip pain both due to nerve irritation.

Which to me says go get some concrete diagnostic work done (part of which might be that MRI you mentioned so you may be thinking this way already) by a physician specializing in the area of concern, so you donít end up doing more damage trying to fix something that isnít the root cause.
    Last edited by j44ke; 03-26-2021 at 09:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I know youíve been to see a physiologist, and I have no idea how Australian medicine works, but at what point does this transition from a overuse strain to an injury and a visit to a doctor specializing in muscular-skeletal issues is indicated? For example, sounds like you are describing a sort of radiating or spreading pain like (suggested as owner of a body myself and not as a physician with actual knowledge) nerve pain perhaps from something in the lower back, especially if it is to one side and not the other. And you describe it as worsening. So given premise X as the cause, but typical treatment for X shows little result and may in fact be worsening, perhaps the symptoms associated with X are actually caused by Y which has a different prescription for recovery. Meaning is it the hamstring leading to the hip pain or is it something undiagnosed in a disc or similar that is causing the hamstring and hip pain both due to nerve irritation.

Which to me says go get some concrete diagnostic work done (part of which might be that MRI you mentioned so you may be thinking this way already) by a physician specializing in the area of concern, so you donít end up doing more damage trying to fix something that isnít the root cause.
    Thereís definitely nothing lower back at play here, so Iím confident weíre talking the same general vicinity; and actually as I type (Iím lying in bed using my phone) Iím able to focus on where the pain is - I think what Iím feeling in my hip is possibly the original issue radiating more now that is has worsened.

I need to see how it feels again today once Iím up and about and really remind myself.

That said, I do get your point.

Iím avoiding going to a doctor at the moment because they have a habit of going straight to a cortisone injection, which I have zero interest in. The Physiotherapist would be where I would get referred to here. I think the key now is getting the MRI so that we can be clear on the extent of the original injury and get clearer on a defined rehab plan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    I’m avoiding going to a doctor ...... they have a habit of going straight to a cortisone injection..... the key now is getting the MRI so that we can be clear on the extent of the original injury and get clearer on a defined rehab plan.
    Just because a doc might want to go with cortisone doesn't mean you have to. I agree the key is the MRI; in my experience a doc has to prescribe a MRi so you'll likely need to see one regardless whether or not you accept their treatment suggestion.
    Take care of yourself in this time of crisis and realize sadness, anger and grief are part of the process Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by claritycycler View Post
    in my experience a doc has to prescribe a MRi so you'll likely need to see one regardless whether or not you accept their treatment suggestion.
    Not so here - the Physiotherapist referral is all I need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel that office chairs on rollers stress the low back area (especially on a smooth floor or those plexie glass sheets they use on carpet).
    You are constantly trying to stabilize yourself with your legs.
    Wonder if there is research into that.
    Straight- firm chair with good lumbar support is more "work" but once you sit back firm , you are solid.