User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hamstring Tendinopathy - experience here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hamstring Tendinopathy - experience here?

Quote Originally Posted by rabo View Post
    Standing-weightbearing x-rays?
    It was a while ago, but I recall as much, yes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    It was a while ago, but I recall as much, yes.
    Reason I'm asking is that I was told / taught you need x-rays from the ankle up (Tibia-Femur) to see where -and if there is a anatomical leg length difference.
    A rotated pelvis on one side, or slightly bent knees will effect the pelvic view only.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair call, makes sense - especially as my current chiro seems to think my pelvis is both titled and rotated.

In fact as I type this I am lying in bed with my legs strapped together, my left foot turned to 45-degrees, to try and undo some of that. I apparently need to do this for 30mins every night before I go to sleep now, and can’t bear weight on it for 4hrs after as gravity will undo the movement that it is trying to generate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Completely forgot: On Tuesday my physio gave my leg shockwave treatment. I’m beginning to think it has responded well to that.

Bike ride yesterday, a bit too much gardening today; and nothing but the very slightest of niggles. I’m trying not to get my hopes up, but I’m quietly doing exactly that...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Di2 hamstring!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of the symptoms and things that cause it to be worse sound awfully familiar so I gave those eccentric curls a try. I don't know if I have the same thing going on but the relief was almost immediate. Very interesting.
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After struggling to find a more rounded saddle to try, I landed on a Brooks Cambium C15 Carved, which I installed yesterday. Itís definitely very rounded, which is ideal, but it may still be slightly too wide - Iím not getting the pinches that I was feeling from the edge of my SQlab, but the pressure of being seated on the saddle is still a little too close to the point of the injury than I would ideally like. Itís definitely an improvement, though, so I might just be being precious and/or overly cautious.

A dog walk yesterday seems to have partly undone a week of barely feeling like I was carrying an injury. At about 10km into my ride I was wondering whether I should continue, but another few km and I was pain free again - almost weirdly, in fact. I managed 45km which were pain-free except for this odd interlude.

Aside from that, this week has been good. As mentioned above, for most of the week Iíve barely felt like anything was wrong. Only a bit of discomfort when I first step out of bed has reminded me the issue is there; and even that passes within a few minutes generally.

The dog walks are intriguing. Theyíre nothing overly strenuous, although they are slightly hilly - both times Iíve had a setback after a period of relative comfort recently have been triggered after walking the dog. Itís odd, but there must be something about it thatís problematic somehow...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting about the dog walk. Regarding saddles, my life was changed when I discovered the PRO stealth (in the really wide width). They do a no quibble 30 day money back so it's pretty risk free to give it a go. The distribution of pressure is unlike any of the other 9,000 saddles I've tried.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hamstring tendinopathy is often a runners' issue, and suddenly taking up hill running is well known as probably the single best way to bring it on. The gradient decreases the hip opening (less of an angle between femur and torso, if you can visualise that), and this stretches the hamstring while simultaneously increasing compression of the tendon against the bone; exactly the 2 things that tendinopathy doesn't like. It's the same reason why stiff-legged deadlifts or similar are another no-no until you're 90%+ recovered.

In other words, this is normal. Avoid hills when walking for the moment, especially if the gradient is significant or it's a brisk walk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JamesHD View Post
    Hamstring tendinopathy is often a runners' issue, and suddenly taking up hill running is well known as probably the single best way to bring it on. The gradient decreases the hip opening (less of an angle between femur and torso, if you can visualise that), and this stretches the hamstring while simultaneously increasing compression of the tendon against the bone; exactly the 2 things that tendinopathy doesn't like. It's the same reason why stiff-legged deadlifts or similar are another no-no until you're 90%+ recovered.

In other words, this is normal. Avoid hills when walking for the moment, especially if the gradient is significant or it's a brisk walk.
    This makes sense, thanks - especially when I relate it to the 15% gradient straight out of my driveway that I tend to go up with the dog when I walk him. At least the rest of the hill I live on is quite short and less steep. I'll stick to going down the hill and walking around flatter areas now that I know this, or just leave the dog walking to my wife!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This makes sense, thanks - especially when I relate it to the 15% gradient straight out of my driveway that I tend to go up with the dog when I walk him. At least the rest of the hill I live on is quite short and less steep. I'll stick to going down the hill and walking around flatter areas now that I know this, or just leave the dog walking to my wife!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once again it is proving its volatility, damn itÖ

Despite 3 good weeks and after responding well to shockwave therapy last time, some shockwave therapy on Friday (plus a bit of driving over the weekend, which seems to be the worst trigger) has set me back again. Iíve barely ridden, so itís not like Iím being naughty either!

Iíd put off the MRI because I seemed to be doing well, but it might be time to take that route with a view to getting PRP treatment done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you still hitting the eccentrics?

This - - is what I did, but a) raise with both legs then lower with 1, and b) do a much slower negative (aim for 10 seconds, though it'll probably be c.5)

YMMV but my physio swears by them as the only effective treatment he knows for hamstring tendinopathy, and it worked for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JamesHD View Post
    Are you still hitting the eccentrics?

This is what I did, but a) raise with both legs then lower with 1, and b) do a much slower negative (aim for 10 seconds, though it'll probably be c.5)

YMMV but my physio swears by them as the only effective treatment he knows for hamstring tendinopathy, and it worked for me.
    Yup, still doing them. Can't do that ^^ at the moment due to my back having gone weak recently, so I'm doing standing eccentrics (hamstring curl with a resistance band around my heel) instead. Also side plank clamshells.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F-i-n-a-l-l-y got that MRI yesterday, which re-confirmed it is a hamstring tendinopathy. It also confirmed the tendon is torn.

Doesn't change much as the Physiotherapist says he'd keep me on the same rehab exercises anyway, but I do feel stupid for not having the MRI sooner - mainly because I could have had the PRP treatment by now.

That's looking like the likely next step - just need to get a referral to a sports doctor to confirm as much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F-i-n-a-l-l-y got that MRI yesterday, which re-confirmed it is a hamstring tendinopathy. It also confirmed the tendon is torn.

Doesn't change much as the Physiotherapist says he'd keep me on the same rehab exercises anyway, but I do feel stupid for not having the MRI sooner - mainly because I could have had the PRP treatment by now.

That's looking like the likely next step - just need to get a referral to a sports doctor to confirm as much.
    Don't be in any hurry. We're enjoying the bike rotisserie.

Seriously, hope this gets better soon. An actual tear doesn't sound like much fun.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So... uhhh... I had an oops while riding my road bike down the fire road in Nisene Marks, here in Santa Cruz, back in April '20 while I was on a treatment dose of blood thinners. My right foot went floppy, calf started to burn, then my peroneal and posterior tibial tendon started to ache. Rested it and stuff seemed to get better, but would always relapse with riding. Saw a doc that thought it could be my lumbar spine, got referred to a different doc that had a spine specialty, only to have her discover that I had actually injured some tendon that anchors my hamstring near the calf. Gonna do the PRP treatment in a month, followed by a month of no activity. RIP summer of 2021.

Don't take thinners and ride, friends.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't take thinners and ride, friends.[/QUOTE]

I’m in trouble then. Since I’m on them for life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneK View Post
    I’m in trouble then. Since I’m on them for life.
    Be extremely careful. I can't even count the number of injuries I've had on treatment doses of Eliquis (5mg), Xarelto (20mg), or Pradaxa (150mg). Oddly, the 2.5mg prophylactic dose of Eliquis was okay, aside from palpitations and brain fog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...I could have had the PRP treatment by now.

So, the visit to the sports doctor to go down the PRP route needed a GP referral. I've been lax getting around to organising that because we're on lockdown in Sydney right now and other stuff has ten priority.

I finally had a call with my GP today - turns out he doesn't like PRP (he sees it as my Physiotherapist taking an unproven shortcut), so that referral isn't happening.

Next step = Sports Physician.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast