User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hamstring Tendinopathy - experience here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hamstring Tendinopathy - experience here?

I feel that office chairs on rollers stress the low back area (especially on a smooth floor or those plexie glass sheets they use on carpet).
    You are constantly trying to stabilize yourself with your legs.
    Wonder if there is research into that.
    Straight- firm chair with good lumbar support is more "work" but once you sit back firm , you are solid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So today was kayak test day. I went for a brief paddle before lunch - managed about 45mins and around 3.5km; which sounds pathetic, but it was hard work!

In general, it was ok. I found it very boring being out there solo with no real plan beyond just getting started - next time I’ll need company and/or a destination in mind.

I also got a bit panicky when I suddenly realised I have almost zero experience... I was very wobbly, especially in the wake & wash of boats. I nearly tipped out twice, but managed to save it - that gave me the willies, especially as there’s been Bull Shark sightings very recently in the water I was in!

Definitely keen to go again - although perhaps a lake paddle next time so that the water is a little more predictable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That boredom thing is interesting. I find it on my bike sometimes, doesn't last long because I'll get distracted by the sound of the tyres, or the need to get out the saddle to blast over a crest. On a long straight drag with a slight headwind though, boring as fuck. You've essentially got the same situation there I guess, no danger, no change in effort.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inexperienced I started ocean fishing from a sit on top kayak years ago.
    After an hour I found myself 2 miles down the beach.
    Started paddling back only to find out I was still in front of the same housing after 15 minutes.
    Used an anchor after that, which opens a whole nother can of worms.
    Paddling is brutal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AntLockyer View Post
    You've essentially got the same situation there I guess, no danger...
    ...aside from the Bull Sharks...!

Hopefully I say the following without jinxing myself: Today is the third successive day of notable improvement in my leg. In fact, today I'm bordering on not having any sensation of an issue, mostly.

Monday & Tuesday were both good days (it's almost as if the kayaking helped somehow), with a firm and directed elbow in the glute from my physio yesterday seemingly making an even more notable difference.

I've been moved onto very gentle 'lengthening' (not stretching) exercises now. Notably one-legged 'diver' movements (bending at the hip to horizontal, extending arms in front and one leg behind). Two weeks of that (and still no riding) then it's back to see where I'm at. If the improvement continues I suspect I'll get the ok to ride again (gently) plus return to some of the strength work that he originally prescribed.

We were going to be away for most of that two week period, which would have made the continued no riding instruction easier to bear, but a Covid outbreak is threatening to ruin those plans...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because I *know* you’ve all been holding out for an update... No? Oh. Well you’re getting one anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    {snip} We were going to be away for most of that two week period, which would have made the continued no riding instruction easier to bear, but a Covid outbreak is threatening to ruin those plans...
    So, we got away, but not for the originally planned trip. That turned out to be a blessing, because it turns out that driving now feels like the worst possible thing I can do for my leg. Something about sitting in a car buggers it so much worse than anything else.

The new plan meant we only drove to somewhere 4hrs away and did all the driving on 2 separate days with a 5-day break, rather than the original plan of 9hrs+ each way and splitting the driving over 4 or 5 days over a 9-day period. At least I had time to rest and reset in-between.

Today is physio update day. I haven’t been wonderful with my exercises, but I have been doing other similar-but-different stuff, so I’m ok with where I’m at. Driving aside, I’m mostly free from niggles, although a couple of days of excess walking made it flare up a bit. Some fairly intense gardening (landscaping, really) at the weekend seems to have caused no issue, which is positive.

I’m hoping to get the all-clear to ride again today. I’m unlikely to get out until later in the week anyway, but I am both excited at the prospect and dreading it in equal measure as I’m pretty sure my fitness is in the toilet...

If I do get the all-clear, and depending how riding feels, I’m contemplating going back to MTBing for a while. This has come about because a bike fitter friend has said one issue could be saddle contact with the location of the injury. Testing my crank change in the driveway at the weekend has confirmed that could be an issue - and there aren’t many saddles out there that will get around that. My thinking with MTBing is that I’ll be spending more time out of the saddle, which could help.

It’s just an idea, but there’s no shortage of trails here, so there’s no concern with making that switch. Well, none other than me being a fair bit older now than I was when MTBing was my only mode of riding... I was always quite risk-averse, though, so there’s no issue with my confidence being greater than my capability!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m hoping to get the all-clear to ride again today.
    That'll teach me - two more weeks...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gutted, the MTB idea is a good one though

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait, you live near lots of trails and don't mountain bike? This seems like a bigger issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time & money. These days I prefer covering distance on a road bike in the ride time I have at my disposal.

If this injury dictates differently in future, though, I’m ok with that - as long as I can still ride...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ride my rigid Surly every now and then on some dirt trails and it's a nice break, I just ride in sneakers, shorts etc...no riding gear at all other than a helmet. It's just not competitive at all...

"You gotta listen to the trees, Hoss..."
    Riding has to be fun, and part of the fun has to be that youíre not worried about having too much technology on your bike. - Tom Ritchey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...and then days like yesterday and today remind me how tricky this is going to be to resolve...

I haven’t done anything particular over the last few days that would kick it off, but it’s like I’ve stepped back 4-weeks. The constant dull ache / punched in the arse feeling is back; and even gentle walking is uncomfortable.

Fucksticks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear :(

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time & money. These days I prefer covering distance on a road bike in the ride time I have at my disposal.

If this injury dictates differently in future, though, Iím ok with that - as long as I can still ride...
    And for me healing speed. Trails around here tend to have a sandstone base and that shite hurts. I was big into mountain biking back when I healed quickly. Nowadays Iím on the road with a rule about getting hit or falling off. My son heals fast, heís into mountain biking.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear of your setback. I battled high hamstring tendinopathy for months several years ago. After finally taking a long enough break from running/riding for the acute pain to resolve, I had Graston Technique done (which your "elbow" technique from your PT may be equivalent in effect), and then what worked was eccentric exercises for my hamstring. It made an incredible difference for me, and years later the same thing, eccentric loading, did wonders for my Achilles when all else had failed--the key for me was doing each eccentric rep very slowly.

good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Sounds like it might be worth an experiment. Pry out the casters (usually on short vertical axle that snaps into a hole in the chair leg/pedestal.) Stick some glides (nylon feet) in their place to keep from scratching the floor.
    So, I finally got around to doing something about this. Actually because I was stupid enough to buy an Ikea chair it's been really tricky to find a set of glides that will work (their fitment is different). I was about to buy a new chair, when I had a sudden thought of just removing the casters and putting some felt pads on the ends to see if that will work. The chair is only just high enough now, but if I sit properly (which I need to for my posture anyway) it's perfectly good enough.

I'm only a couple of hours in, but I already feel like it's making a difference. Perhaps that was (at least a notable part of) the problem...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My leg hasnít worsened over the last couple of weeks, but other weaknesses are starting to appear.

After years of not having any lower back issues (which I mainly attribute to a benefit of being a cyclist), I now need to be very careful - my lower back seems to be twinging very easily right now and it is feeling like itís going to give out quite suddenly. I might try and get to a chiropractor this week, and start adding some dorsal raises and ab curls to my leg exercise routine...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My leg hasn’t worsened over the last couple of weeks, but other weaknesses are starting to appear.

After years of not having any lower back issues (which I mainly attribute to a benefit of being a cyclist), I now need to be very careful - my lower back seems to be twinging very easily right now and it is feeling like it’s going to give out quite suddenly. I might try and get to a chiropractor this week, and start adding some dorsal raises and ab curls to my leg exercise routine...
    Favoring your leg and canting your hips? Seems like leg/knee soreness is soon followed by a twinge in the lower back for me. How's that song go?

So the foot bone connected to the leg bone,
    The leg bone connected to the knee bone,
    The knee bone connected to the thigh bone,
    Doin' the Skeleton Dance.
    Yes the thigh bone connected to the back bone,
    The back bone connected to the neck bone,
    The neck bone connected to the head bone,
    Doin' the Skeleton Dance.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably, yes. It’s my long leg too - I wonder how much my leg length discrepancy (circa 15mm at the hips) and associated scoliosis will (or has) come into play with this...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find if I don't activate my glutes I suffer with the back more than normal. Just a couple of glute bridges and squats in the morning or any time I feel if coming on helps for me (and I understand I'm n=1)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast