User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hamstring Tendinopathy - experience here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hamstring Tendinopathy - experience here?

So a good week then?

My second sewer backup convinced me to to get a plumber out to put in a protection system. Something like $4000 for a system I never see. But I haven't had sewage in my basement either so it was worth it.

I hope you can get your hands on a 3rd pump and stay of those stairs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    So a good week then?

My second sewer backup convinced me to to get a plumber out to put in a protection system. Something like $4000 for a system I never see. But I haven't had sewage in my basement either so it was worth it.

I hope you can get your hands on a 3rd pump and stay of those stairs.
    Yeah I’ve had better weeks...!

Unfortunately for us the storm water fix is likely to involve AU$20-30k worth of work on pumps, rain water tanks and changes to guttering and drainage. We’ve known it was coming, but my wife was putting off spending the money until a couple of downpours in the summer reminded her how bad it gets. We now need to work out the best solution(s) and just suck it up and get it done.

Thankfully the rain eased enough yesterday that I didn’t need to be active again, so I managed to rest my leg. It’s not feeling as bad as I feared today so perhaps I haven’t done as much harm as I feared.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    Yeah I’ve had better weeks...!

Unfortunately for us the storm water fix is likely to involve AU$20-30k worth of work on pumps, rain water tanks and changes to guttering and drainage. We’ve known it was coming, but my wife was putting off spending the money until a couple of downpours in the summer reminded her how bad it gets. We now need to work out the best solution(s) and just suck it up and get it done.

Thankfully the rain eased enough yesterday that I didn’t need to be active again, so I managed to rest my leg. It’s not feeling as bad as I feared today so perhaps I haven’t done as much harm as I feared.
    I vote for putting everything up on stilts.

Last edited by j44ke; 03-21-2021 at 07:14 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I vote for putting everything up on stilts.
    If we came into some money (like, massive lotto win kind of windfall) I would pull our house down and start again; and this is pretty much the approach I would take!

However, this is the impact of significantly more rain that fell a few hundred km north of Sydney this weekend - stilts ain't solving that:

https://twitter.com/claudiajambor/st...94348452098049

My situation might have been shit, but this brings perspective...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we came into some money (like, massive lotto win kind of windfall) this is pretty much the approach I would take!

However, this is the impact of significantly more rain that fell a few hundred km north/north/west of Sydney this weekend - stilts ain't solving that:

https://twitter.com/claudiajambor/st...94348452098049

My situation might have been shit, but this brings perspective...
    Wow! Is your house in this area? And is this an annual event - like a monsoon season or something?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! Is your house in this area? And is this an annual event - like a monsoon season or something?
    Thankfully I'm only 12km from Sydney - we got 150mm of rain on Saturday, but these guys - this is Taree, which is 400km up the coast - got something like 400mm on Saturday alone, not to mention having had heavy rain since Thursday last week; and it's still raining up there.

We always get rain around this time; and it's often heavy, but this year is worse because of La NiŮa. That said, last year we had a 400mm rainfall event over 3-days in Feb, which was the last time we flooded.

What makes me laugh is that they talk about them as "one-in-a-hundred-year storm events" - except we've had 3 of those in the 2.5yrs we've lived in this house!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a mess up in NSW for sure. 'They' need a good talking to.

The weather and its consequences is going to hijack a hamstring threat though.

I've had a rough trot hamstring wise for the last 12 months or so. Wind back the clock and we made the decision to sell our house and move just prior to Covid hitting (not great timing, but it worked out well in the end). Getting everything ready for sale involved lots of packing and lifting/moving heavy boxes. On a slopping block, this involved moving everything up hill. My lower back/pelvis took a pounding, which in turn impacts on my right hamstring, and luckily I was able to see my chiropractor before the first round of lock downs. When we actually moved the same process of lifting heavy boxes etc was repeated, except this time I was not able to see the chiropractor. By the end of the lockdown mark two complete with working from home, my lower back and right hamstring were really giving me grief, with pain radiating down into my knee. It is slowly ironing itself out, but the big change has been the use of a massage ball. Sitting on one of those things, while uncomfortable, towards the top of my hamstring and in and around my right glute has loosened things up (which in turn enables me to better stretch the hamstring. I drove on Saturday for about two hours one way and a little less on the way back and right leg/knee was sore from driving and a few minutes on the massage ball fixed things back up. I won't say I'm out of the woods, but things are looking a lot more positive.

It is however maddening. Riding would result in a very tight right hamstring. This would in turn impede walking, particularly uphill, while sitting for long periods of time while working at home would also cause grief. Add in that issue (age), which someone mentioned and it is not much fun at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You remind me that I need to get onto massaging and foam rolling more - not the area of my issue itself (being an injured tendon would make that worse), but at least the hamstring and the glute. Not being able to stretch is one of my frustrations as that's what I feel like I most want to do.

This has been on my mind a lot, though:

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    {snip} By the end of the lockdown mark two complete with working from home... {snip}...while sitting for long periods of time while working at home would also cause grief...
    I've moved to full-time working from home. After 10-months I finally bought an office chair just after Christmas, so I'm now on wheels instead of using a spare dining chair. In doing so I've discovered a very subtle slope to my office floor, which means I'm possibly pulling myself into the desk more frequently than I might otherwise be on a more level floor. I'm wondering whether the motion of pulling myself in with my feet, and/or trying to hold myself still, has contributed to the issue.

...or is that just a convenient reason to blame something other than the bike?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You remind me that I need to get onto massaging and foam rolling more - not the area of my issue itself (being an injured tendon would make that worse), but at least the hamstring and the glute. Not being able to stretch is one of my frustrations as that's what I feel like I most want to do.

This has been on my mind a lot, though:

I've moved to full-time working from home. After 10-months I finally bought an office chair just after Christmas, so I'm now on wheels instead of using a spare dining chair. In doing so I've discovered a very subtle slope to my office floor, which means I'm possibly pulling myself into the desk more frequently than I might otherwise be on a more level floor. I'm wondering whether the motion of pulling myself in with my feet, and/or trying to hold myself still, has contributed to the issue.

...or is that just a convenient reason to blame something other than the bike?!
    Sounds like it might be worth an experiment. Pry out the casters (usually on short vertical axle that snaps into a hole in the chair leg/pedestal.) Stick some glides (nylon feet) in their place to keep from scratching the floor.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My back issues, while probably starting from a snowboarding accident in the 90s came to a head when we moved house 5 years ago, carrying boxes up and down stairs and it pinged, never been the same since.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Almost a week on from armageddon*, it feels like it's slowly getting worse day-by-day rather than better. I didn't go back to the physio early because it felt ok on Mon/Tues, but yesterday & today it's been worse than ever; and today the pain feels like it's moving into my hip, which worries me (probably referral pain from carrying myself slightly differently, which I was always worried about).

I can feel an MRI coming on to see if there's a tear.

In other news, this weekend I'll finally be sorting the garage for some app-based body weight workout stuff; and I've also decided that a spot of kayaking could be a handy interim exercise option - especially given how much water there is around us (the whole of Sydney Harbour is on my doorstep, plus other options in numerous directions from here). That feels like a positive, even if the rest of this situation might be going in the wrong direction...

*Ok, a spot of rain, but it felt like armageddon at the time, m'kay?...!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear its getting worse. In my experience if rest doesn't fix something it means I need to not rest and exercise is the answer. The other massive thing I realised is that for a lot of things stretching is the wrong thing to do and strengthening is better. So many of us end up with super strong quads, weak hamstrings that feel tight, more stretching makes them essentially weaker (I know that isn't 'correct') but some split leg dead lifts and 4 weeks later not so tight anymore.

I absolutely LOVE the idea of you Kayaking. I totally understand your need for an outlet and understand that outlet needs to hold the same concepts as cycling. i.e. cool gear, physical exercise and outdoors. I want a Kayak but I'm pretty sure I'd not be able to get over the motion sickness part.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AntLockyer View Post
    I absolutely LOVE the idea of you Kayaking. I totally understand your need for an outlet and understand that outlet needs to hold the same concepts as cycling. i.e. cool gear, physical exercise and outdoors. I want a Kayak but I'm pretty sure I'd not be able to get over the motion sickness part.
    It feels like a bit of a breakthrough to be honest. A buddy of mine is keen to come along too, which makes it even more appealing. I won’t be buying kit just yet, but if I enjoy it and the leg doesn’t improve I can see me doing so - partly because repeated rental could quickly get expensive.

I have a leavepass on Sunday so I’m hoping to test the waters (literally) with the most immediately local option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's great. I'm lucky that where I live we have a 28 mile long canal as well as the sea

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice.

The marinas either side of the road in this pic are a 1.5km walk from my house. The harbour and ocean is out to the left and the inner harbour to the right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know youíve been to see a physiologist, and I have no idea how Australian medicine works, but at what point does this transition from a overuse strain to an injury and a visit to a doctor specializing in muscular-skeletal issues is indicated? For example, sounds like you are describing a sort of radiating or spreading pain like (suggested as owner of a body myself and not as a physician with actual knowledge) nerve pain perhaps from something in the lower back, especially if it is to one side and not the other. And you describe it as worsening. So given premise X as the cause, but typical treatment for X shows little result and may in fact be worsening, perhaps the symptoms associated with X are actually caused by Y which has a different prescription for recovery. Meaning is it the hamstring leading to the hip pain or is it something undiagnosed in a disc or similar that is causing the hamstring and hip pain both due to nerve irritation.

Which to me says go get some concrete diagnostic work done (part of which might be that MRI you mentioned so you may be thinking this way already) by a physician specializing in the area of concern, so you donít end up doing more damage trying to fix something that isnít the root cause.
    Last edited by j44ke; 03-26-2021 at 09:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice.

The marinas either side of the road in this pic are a 1.5km walk from my house. The harbour and ocean is out to the left and the inner harbour to the right.
    Looks amazing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know youíve been to see a physiologist, and I have no idea how Australian medicine works, but at what point does this transition from a overuse strain to an injury and a visit to a doctor specializing in muscular-skeletal issues is indicated? For example, sounds like you are describing a sort of radiating or spreading pain like (suggested as owner of a body myself and not as a physician with actual knowledge) nerve pain perhaps from something in the lower back, especially if it is to one side and not the other. And you describe it as worsening. So given premise X as the cause, but typical treatment for X shows little result and may in fact be worsening, perhaps the symptoms associated with X are actually caused by Y which has a different prescription for recovery. Meaning is it the hamstring leading to the hip pain or is it something undiagnosed in a disc or similar that is causing the hamstring and hip pain both due to nerve irritation.

Which to me says go get some concrete diagnostic work done (part of which might be that MRI you mentioned so you may be thinking this way already) by a physician specializing in the area of concern, so you donít end up doing more damage trying to fix something that isnít the root cause.
    Thereís definitely nothing lower back at play here, so Iím confident weíre talking the same general vicinity; and actually as I type (Iím lying in bed using my phone) Iím able to focus on where the pain is - I think what Iím feeling in my hip is possibly the original issue radiating more now that is has worsened.

I need to see how it feels again today once Iím up and about and really remind myself.

That said, I do get your point.

Iím avoiding going to a doctor at the moment because they have a habit of going straight to a cortisone injection, which I have zero interest in. The Physiotherapist would be where I would get referred to here. I think the key now is getting the MRI so that we can be clear on the extent of the original injury and get clearer on a defined rehab plan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m avoiding going to a doctor ...... they have a habit of going straight to a cortisone injection..... the key now is getting the MRI so that we can be clear on the extent of the original injury and get clearer on a defined rehab plan.
    Just because a doc might want to go with cortisone doesn't mean you have to. I agree the key is the MRI; in my experience a doc has to prescribe a MRi so you'll likely need to see one regardless whether or not you accept their treatment suggestion.
    Take care of yourself in this time of crisis and realize sadness, anger and grief are part of the process Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by claritycycler View Post
    in my experience a doc has to prescribe a MRi so you'll likely need to see one regardless whether or not you accept their treatment suggestion.
    Not so here - the Physiotherapist referral is all I need.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast