User Tag List

Thread: Hack Ur Sram 12x

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hack Ur Sram 12x

I think Thomas (sk_tle) mentioned this a while back. I say the more the merrier. If the makers are going to eliminate cable shifting, then might as well have at it.

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/10/rati...d-on-a-budget/

Feels a bit like Campagnolo Synchro 2 or rebuilding original Ergo but hey! this actually works evidently.
    Last edited by j44ke; 10-19-2021 at 05:31 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hack Ur Sram 12x

As I'm not close enough to decent gravel to bother having a gravel bike, I'm most intrigued by the closing comments around development of a 12spd 2x road setup based on the AXS chain & cassette - especially as I'm running 11spd Red mechanical at the moment.

I'd be even happier if it worked with new Shimano 12spd cassettes & chains or 12v Campag cassettes and chains, because a 10t sprocket makes zero sense to me and the AXS chain apparently limits chainring options; but I do at least already have an XD driver for my current wheels and I would have no shame running the Rival AXS chain & cassette to keep the cost down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    As I'm not close enough to decent gravel to bother having a gravel bike, I'm most intrigued by the closing comments around development of a 12spd 2x road setup based on the AXS chain & cassette - especially as I'm running 11spd Red mechanical at the moment.

I'd be even happier if it worked with new Shimano 12spd cassettes & chains or 12v Campag cassettes and chains, because a 10t sprocket makes zero sense to me and the AXS chain apparently limits chainring options; but I do at least already have an XD driver for my current wheels and I would have no shame running the Rival AXS chain & cassette to keep the cost down.
    Looks like right now they just have 1x12. https://ratiotechnology.com/product/...d-upgrade-kit/

But yeah, some of the things mentioned in another article in CyclingTips about (at least as one request) obsolescence ring true to me. Would be great if you could just keep up with the cassettes. Switch out a widget and there's 12s.
    Last edited by j44ke; 10-19-2021 at 08:56 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Looks like right now they just have 1x12. https://ratiotechnology.com/product/...d-upgrade-kit/
    Indeed, but at the end of the article...

Looking forward, Ratio apparently has plans to continue on this retrofit-based business model, and it sounds like a SRAM-based 212 kit for the road (using the latest AXS 12-speed chain and cassette) is in the works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been in contact with them and they are also in testing phase for ekar 13sp compatible cassettes. They are already selling a 38t ring that is compatible with ekar chain. I didn't want to buy a totally new group/bike so I am counting the weeks to upgrade my 1x11 sram to ekar cassettes.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    at least already have an XD driver for my current wheels and I would have no shame running the Rival AXS chain & cassette to keep the cost down.
    You'll need an XDR freehub to run any of the Rival or XPLR cassettes. XDR is 1.8mm longer than XD.

All "Eagle" 10-50 and 10-52 cassettes use XD
    All cassettes with a 44t or smaller largest cog use XDR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My bad - I meant XDR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about that wireless- short cable - operated new thing? Forgot the name. Supposedly can run any combination after tuning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there are 2 actually : archer d1x and cell shifting

The former has good rep but shifting is described as relatively slow compared to di2 (but they have a new more powerful battery so not sure if it is still currently an issue)

The cell shifting one took over the x-shifting stuff. From what I understand when I say took over this is really the same owner trying to buy himself a better rep under a different name after badly handling the initial kickstarter, getting bankrupt and letting annoyed backers with empty hands. The shifting is believed to be much faster. I wouldn't expect any warranty as the people behind it are what I would describe as shady.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 10-21-2021 at 07:57 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love Sram mechanical road groups and had Force disc on my previous bike. I used it as a road bike and gravel bike depending upon the wheelset. I put a 10 speed GX derailleur on to get the benefits of a clutch.

The cable routing was a concern and I predict it will be an issue with the Ratio retrofit as well. Most road bikes seem to route the rear derailleur cable strait out above the dropout. Sram rear derailleurs are not designed for a cable loop so creative routing will likely be needed.

I routed mine through the bb shell hatch, along the chain stay and to the derailleur.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by houston View Post
    The cable routing was a concern and I predict it will be an issue with the Ratio retrofit as well. Most road bikes seem to route the rear derailleur cable strait out above the dropout. Sram rear derailleurs are not designed for a cable loop so creative routing will likely be needed.
    Ratio provide different cable exit/entries with barrel adjusters depending on the frame cable routing and derailleur combo:

https://ratiotechnology.com/product/...it-cable-stop/
    https://ratiotechnology.com/product/...gx-derailleur/
    https://ratiotechnology.com/product/cable-fin/
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SRAM shifters are super easy to rebuild. This is a huge win. I'm still running SRAM Red 10spd mechanical that won't die (**knocks on wood**). Might have to find some used old shifters, and breathe some new life into them.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Ratio provide different cable exit/entries with barrel adjusters depending on the frame cable routing and derailleur combo:

https://ratiotechnology.com/product/...it-cable-stop/
    https://ratiotechnology.com/product/...gx-derailleur/
    https://ratiotechnology.com/product/cable-fin/
    Thank you for that! That is really cool. I wish that barrel adjuster were around when I had my Sram bike.