User Tag List

Thread: Gravel tour tire suggestions

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gravel tour tire suggestions

I'm looking for a tire for my tour coming up fast, 1,300 kilometers mostly off-road.

Setup is front panniers with either a handlebar bag or a seatbag. I think 42 will be most comfortable rolling but I'm fine with 40.

One thing I don't like is how all over the board widths are, even a 42-622 designated tire is 40c and might measure 37-39. It's maddening because a 40c across 3 brands yields 3 different widths.

I want 40 or 42 width. I'd prefer folding and black with tan sidewalls. But the most important thing to me is durability. I want a mtb-esque tread that will roll decent on the road but grip on steep loose climbs.

I narrowed it down to 3 based on availability but I think I can do better; of course US and Europe offerings are different. Here are my comments:

Schwalbe Smart Sam 28 x 1.65 wire bead rigid - I have a pair of the 28 x 1.60 rigid. I like the tread a lot although I wish it were folding. It seems robust though. 28 x 1.65 I'm guessing should be ballpark 42. These are heavy tires.

Continental AT Ride 28 x 1.6 - I ride Contis for road but have never been impressed with their off-road tires. These are supposed to be 40s but I read they measure 37-39. I wouldn't mind a 42 so these are going to be on the small side.

WTB Nano 40 Light and Fast folding - These are black with brown sidewall but I'm concerned about durability if the "light and fast" sidewall will bite me on the road.

For the record I just rode through a pair of Panaracer Gravel Kings that felt like rice paper. I would never take a tire this light on the road. These didn't hold up for me at all.

Puncture protection would be nice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Gravel tour tire suggestions

The Rock n Roads? They're not completely modern, but beautiful and run big (43 mm?). Roll good outside gravel roads too, I've heard. Rock N Road Folding Tyre | Planet X

Surly ExtraTerrestrial 41-622 is 43 mm on my 19 mm rim. People say very good things about WTB Resolute (42-622)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

WTB Raddler. It's like a Riddler but with beefier shoulder tread. Works well in loose stuff but the center section still rolls well. 40mm was 40mm on a WTB I-23 rim. Comes in skinwall.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd have a hard look at the Teravail offerings, particularly the Cannonball in the "durable" casing. These tires have a lot of meat where it counts and they would make it through a tour of that length and still ride pretty well.

Cannonball | Teravail

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

panaracer gravel king have indeed been really fragile in my experience and I wouldn't recommend them for touring.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have about 900 miles on a set of terravail Rutland in 650x47. Ridden on asphalt, lots of gravel, dirt, and some lightish singletrack. The rear knobs are showing some wear but I bet I get another 250 miles on them.

Set them up tubeless and not a problem of any sort. They Roll fast on the pavement and just the right amount of knobs for everything else.

I see they now have 700s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should have mentioned I have the “light and supple” casing and they measure 45 mm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Gravel Kings are a whole line-up of tires with somewhere around 20 different models. The "Plus" version of each tread design has an extra layer of puncture protection. I would think the Gravel King SK Plus in 43c would be an enticing option.

Something from the Schwalbe Marathon line-up is pretty apocalypse proof. Not the best rollers, but the pair I had could probably roll across a bed of nails without issue.

I would't want an overly chunky/tready tire. For loose climbs I find air pressure matters more than tread. IMO.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love my Gravel Kings and have not found them overly delicate, but I don't know your roads/paths, so...

That said, I have also been on WTB Byway (650x47) for a couple years and would not hesitate to buy a pair of their next knobbier versions for offroad riding.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Will Neide View Post
    The Gravel Kings are a whole line-up of tires with somewhere around 20 different models. The "Plus" version of each tread design has an extra layer of puncture protection. I would think the Gravel King SK Plus in 43c would be an enticing option.

Something from the Schwalbe Marathon line-up is pretty apocalypse proof. Not the best rollers, but the pair I had could probably roll across a bed of nails without issue.

I would't want an overly chunky/tready tire. For loose climbs I find air pressure matters more than tread. IMO.
    I'm not that picky about tires, but the only tires I've ever had that I found uncomfortable were Schwalbe Marathon Supremes. They were very durable, but not a nice ride at all. I found the Vittoria Randonneur Hyper to have a much better ride, and be just as durable. I can't find them anymore though. Lately I've been happy with Panaracer Paselas.

Agreed on pressure vs tread.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just buy whatever Stefan Rohner uses and you'll be fine.

Georgia 2019
    Last edited by j44ke; 6 Days Ago at 10:42 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jorn make sure you go big monitor

Georgia Caucasus by Stefan Rohner

I don't know what happened to Stefan but I believe he had issue with a mod alas he was our tour sensei

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he uses Compass/Rene Herse Snoqualmie Pass and WTB Ventures. But if you contact him through either Flickr or the website you linked, he’ll usually respond. I think there is also a thread somewhere here that contains his tire recommendations. I don’t remember though if it was Firefly gallery or one of his travel threads.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know he rode Paselas on a tour but don't know if he recommends them. I'll email and report back.

I was looking at Vredestein Aventura and Pirelli Cinturato gravel tires earlier but decided against.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Peace of mind, Schwalbe Marathon series. The lighter ones shouldn't be confused with the e-bike ready ones. They roll pretty well and can take a punch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Compass Hurricane Ridge 700x42 with the Endurance casing is a great all-round tire.
    I rode this tire in Iceland last summer, and it proved exceptionally durable and grippy on a variety of tough gravel terrain while still rolling efficiently on the smooth sections. It measured maybe 43mm on my 23internal rims.
    Steve Park

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Stefan plus it comes in skinwall:

I had very positive experience with Specialized Sawtooth 42mm, a bit heavy but very little punctures.
    One trip in Romania 2300km zero flats. Georgia 1700km 1 flat.

I don’t like tires with bigger nobs, I want to roll.

At home I use Compass tires, but would not use them anymore on a trip, had too many flats, but great supple rolling.
    Now they have the extra endurance, but expensive.