Thread: the good and the bad

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default the good and the bad

The weather here has been off.
    Warmer and dryer than the norm by quite a bit.
    I love it for riding,
    but worried about the flip side.

My long time riding buddies and I all remember being much more wet, cold and miserable in years past.
    We have to remind ourselves that this is strange, very strange.

Byron

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: the good and the bad

There is no point trying to remind yourself about it yet continue to have threads about new trucks, cars, your next bicycle, what did the postman brought today, which rims to use for your next build and if you should go dura-ace or ultegra.

We all know there is only one and true solution but to stop producing human beings and to put economic to a screetching halt*. We have already reach the point of no return where gently reducing everyone emissions of co2 won't do. Replacing every single petrol cars with an electric one is to global warning what adding a salad leave to your next big mac menu is to your health.

And I didn't even dwelled on the co2 cost of having posted my own answer. We are truly fucked.

\* which would lead to several issues especially in healthcare. Our life expectancy would be reduced dramatically as a side effects.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 12-08-2019 at 04:29 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    There is no point trying to remind yourself about it yet continue...We are truly fucked.
    I'm afraid I can't agree- The pace of human population growth is slowing quickly and people are exactly the answer (ATMO) to our problems not the cause. As we move people from abject poverty to economic security ( and we are at a rate faster than ever before), family sizes shrink, we stop cooking over wood and charcoal, we come up with nifty solutions like wind and solar power, etc...With effort and discussion and action we will get through this problem together just as we have gotten through every problem in human history. We'll be ok (and we are getting OKer fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DJBCFP12 View Post
    I'm afraid I can't agree- The pace of human population growth is slowing quickly and people are exactly the answer (ATMO) to our problems not the cause. As we move people from abject poverty to economic security ( and we are at a rate faster than ever before), family sizes shrink, we stop cooking over wood and charcoal, we come up with nifty solutions like wind and solar power, etc...With effort and discussion and action we will get through this problem together just as we have gotten through every problem in human history. We'll be ok (and we are getting OKer fast.
    Agreed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This morning to temperature was 3F with clear skies and sparkly ice particles floating around in the air. Tomorrow (Monday) is supposed to be 50F with 100% chance of rain that will continue through Tuesday and then as the temperature drops again into the 20's it will begin to snow. The basic difference seems to be whether the wind is from the south or the north, from across the land or off the ocean. Maybe that's a statement of the obvious, but the range is pretty amazing. To me at least.

On one hand, the shear range of possibilities for winter weather has contributed to the development of the widest assortment of winter cycling clothing I have ever seen. On the other hand, I would not want to be a product manager trying to figure out which items to produce for winter 2020. No matter how you slice it, there will be clearance sales at the end of every season, because inevitably large swathes of your product line are going to go unsold, literally because of the way the wind blows. I guess cycling clothing companies need consultants from the ski industry, if they don't have them already.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back in the day, no one did winter training outdoors, at least in the Northeast. We sat on Weyless rollers, or we drank Schlitz beer as we waited for the crocus bulbs to pop. Winter cycle clothing was really designed to survive the shoulder seasons. Then turbo trainers emerged. Cyclists began to take the off-season training opportunity more seriously. By extension, we began to dip our toes into the realm of outdoor training. Cycling clothing options slowly evolved to meet the demand albeit it was pretty rudimentary stuff. I still have a 1980s Giordana winter training jacket that is like a piece of tissue paper relative to today's options. We froze, we suffered, we survived. Now the market is flooded with shit, and that is a good thing. I use my winter cycling kit for Nordic skiing too. It is very versatile. The Northeast winter weather has always been variable, enigmatic and painful. That is why it is called winter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I can say one thing for the NW Arizona winter, the daily weather is consistent. We're at 4000 feet, high desert. One day in October, it's no longer warm, and there'll be no random 80 degree days until March when it gets warm. June-Aug is hot, but not Phoenix hot. We had a record snowstorm last year with 15" of snow, but that was basically a monsoon that hit while the temps were below freezing. A veritable shit-tonne of moisture in the air at once. This week saw a monsoon on Wednesday with temps in the upper 30's. A little swing lower and we'd been hammered with snow again.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    There is no point trying to remind yourself about it yet continue to have threads about new trucks, cars, your next bicycle, what did the postman brought today, which rims to use for your next build and if you should go dura-ace or ultegra.

We all know there is only one and true solution but to stop producing human beings and to put economic to a screetching halt*. We have already reach the point of no return where gently reducing everyone emissions of co2 won't do. Replacing every single petrol cars with an electric one is to global warning what adding a salad leave to your next big mac menu is to your health.

And I didn't even dwelled on the co2 cost of having posted my own answer. We are truly fucked.

\* which would lead to several issues especially in healthcare. Our life expectancy would be reduced dramatically as a side effects.
    I am not a contributor to those threads.
    I have only my 68 yrs of personal history and archived data to go by.
    And am also worried about being truly fkd.

I'll be gone soon.
    I don't give a sht about gear reviews etc.
    What about those behind us?

Byron

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bironi View Post
    I am not a contributor to those threads.
    I have only my 68 yrs of personal history and archived data to go by.
    And am also worried about being truly fkd.

I'll be gone soon.
    I don't give a sht about gear reviews etc.
    What about those behind us?

Byron
    I read it that you have probs 5 decades of being outside doing stuff as an adult and that's where your experience comes from. To me, in the grand scheme of things, 5 decades is absolutely nothing. How much of what you're thinking is because of actual experience or is it what's in the media and it's fashionable eco fundamentalism? I'd like to say I'm not having a go but just as one swallow doesn't make a summer surely a few milder winters doesn't mean the end is nigh.
    Lee James Jones
    105 fan