User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Golden Age of Mountain Biking: Stories and Photos from the 80s and 90s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Golden Age of Mountain Biking: Stories and Photos from the 80s and 90s.

I still ride like I'm still there, but we need this thread to share the adventure and spirit of mountain biking in the early years. It was some really good times. All my old snap shots are in New Mexico but have some good ones of Garro I can post later.

Me in Crested Butte 1988 on my Fisher ProCaliber.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Golden Age of Mountain Biking: Stories and Photos from the 80s and 90s.

Awesome! I got in to mtn biking in 1990 and it was the coolest thing in the world to me. I had been a flatland BMX rider and this was so much different and fun.

1998 in Colorado (first visit, pre move)

1994 Kona AA, my first nice mountain bike. I rode this thing in to the ground.

Not sure why I was doing this, but I had to drop a bike off at someone's house, borrow their truck so me and a friend could ride at patapsco...

Stupid shit we'd do in front of the house to get better at mtn biking with my college room mates.

No digital camera, so I don't have a ton of pics. But it was fun to ride then!

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Golden Age of Mountain Biking: Stories and Photos from the 80s and 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    Stupid shit we'd do in front of the house to get better at mtn biking with my college room mates.

No digital camera, so I don't have a ton of pics. But it was fun to ride then!

-Joe
    Ha, I have some grainy early 90s photos like that. Summer time, bunnyhopping in the drive way... etc. Glad to see those New Balances are still in style.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i forget what year it was and i have injected it into some threads before..
    was a norba national at mt snow ...
    tomac vs overend in the rain

the course was basicly up the dirt road to the summit and then into the woods for the descent to the base lodge.
    ( to me it was an incredibly bad course )

waiting in the descent became a chute filled with people... 4-5 people deep through the downhill section...
    the trail was soaking wet, leaves, wet roots and moss covering everything and in fact was difficult to walk on cause it was so slippery.
    you would hold onto the trees to walk up there.
    people squeezed in so tight that the chute ended up 5-6' wide in spots and very, very hard to ride down.

we heard the cheering and the yelling coming down from above as the first rider entered the chute...
    the yelling came closer and closer..it was surreal...screaming was upon us..
    bang, tomac came through there, flat out, no brakes, airborne half the time..
    it was unbelievable to me..
    3-4 minutes later came overend...
    one foot out of the pedals, both brakes on, just trying to get to the bottom..
    the entire parade following was similar,
    treacherous.

tomac won, natch, and holds a spot to me as one of the best all around bike racers of all.
    remarkable memory.

garro, you there?
    remember the chute?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome thread. Please keep the posts coming even if they're reposts it will be great to read them all in one thread. As for me, I got nothing. I'm kinda ok but really sucked when I started in the mid 90s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ok, this got me to fire up the scanner. I got my first mountain bike in 1985 and did my first race in '86. This is me crashing out of Mount Snow. The front wheel folded. I think this was 1988, when it was billed as the New England Championships. Bob George took the picture, and made a postcard out of it.

ECC Mt. Snow 87.jpg

These are probably 1989, also at Mount Snow:

ECC Mt. Snow 89.jpgECC Mt. Snow 89 2.jpg

Spring of 1990, postrace at Cannon Beach, Oregon. I think I got second in the Sport class despite riding the much longer Expert course by mistake. But every time I geared up to upgrade to Expert I'd break some minor bone and slow way down while I healed up. I think two weeks after this, I broke my collarbone, didn't want to admit it, and kept rebreaking it all spring. I'm on the right. The other guys are friends of mine. We were all living in Olympia, WA, where I was in college. They were way more talented than me:

Cannon Beach resized.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was in the thick of it back then working at Onza in '93 and Real Design after that. Onza was just nuts. The World Championships in Vail in '94 was insane. I remember going to races at Mammoth, Big Bear, Vail, Cactus Cup and Mt. Snow. One of the best trips was going to Boston with a co worker, hanging out and riding with the original Indy Fab founders (my co worker at Real used to work for Fat City) and then visiting my folks in Poultney before heading off to Mt. Snow. I have a lot of great memories from that time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    tomac vs overend.....
    Similar experience, same timeframe, old Norba course at Deer Valley, UT. We'd ride down to what was known as Spin Cycle to watch how the pros rode it. You could hear Johnny T. coming down with his disk whirring. He would rocket through these multiple linked turns so fast it was surreal. Ned was always up there but couldn't match the technical skills. Tinker was somewhere in there as well.

We rode those trails a lot and even with local knowledge, memorization of each turn and rut, Tomac was orders of magnitude faster. Crazy good skills.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post

Spring of 1990, postrace at Cannon Beach, Oregon. I think I got second in the Sport class despite riding the much longer Expert course by mistake. But every time I geared up to upgrade to Expert I'd break some minor bone and slow way down while I healed up. I think two weeks after this, I broke my collarbone, didn't want to admit it, and kept rebreaking it all spring. I'm on the right. The other guys are friends of mine. We were all living in Olympia, WA, where I was in college. They were way more talented than me:

Cannon Beach resized.jpg
    Oh Jeezus Fucking Christ it's Diaz.
    Oh, I could go on and on.........and will when I'm tired after a ride.
    Hooooooo-Boy.
    PS - You must know Golden Brainerd, a super friend of mine, maybe Jed Fox, too? - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Epic thread. Overend vs. Tomac was the ultimate rivalry, you don't really have that these days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Honus View Post
    I was in the thick of it back then working at Onza in '93 and Real Design after that. Onza was just nuts. The World Championships in Vail in '94 was insane. I remember going to races at Mammoth, Big Bear, Vail, Cactus Cup and Mt. Snow. One of the best trips was going to Boston with a co worker, hanging out and riding with the original Indy Fab founders (my co worker at Real used to work for Fat City) and then visiting my folks in Poultney before heading off to Mt. Snow. I have a lot of great memories from that time.
    Oh man, the 15 year old me would have totally been starfucking you and asking for some CWA barends!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Honus View Post
    I was in the thick of it back then working at Onza in '93 and Real Design after that. Onza was just nuts.
    Do you know Dan Sotelo at Onza? He opened up a repair shop in his house on Mercer Island, WA. I have been bringing him early '90s mtb frames to rebuild/outfit, each one he grabs there is a segway into some crazy story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No pics...but I used to ride the hell out of my HookooEkoo. Hans Rey was here in Augusta for the opening of our pump track...
    Insubordinate. And Churlish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gradient View Post
    Do you know Dan Sotelo at Onza? He opened up a repair shop in his house on Mercer Island, WA. I have been bringing him early '90s mtb frames to rebuild/outfit, each one he grabs there is a segway into some crazy story.
    I still have a set of his Box brake levers, from his post-Onza days, shipped from his house. Ah, the height of the CNC/ano days...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Hooooooo-Boy.
    PS - You must know Golden Brainerd, a super friend of mine, maybe Jed Fox, too? - Garro.
    Sweet - I thought someone might recognize the personnel. I love Golden, too, and Jed as well. Still in touch with both of them a little bit. Did you meet CR, the guy on the left, when he was in Flagstaff?

That crew was so much fun. I went out to Evergreen in 1986 with my Ritchey, and hardly anyone was riding. They came to town in 1988 and it was game on. The first time I met them we went for a quick ride and I wound up driving us up to a Suicidal Tendencies show in Bellingham in my 1960 Buick, in a heavy fog, driving 30 miles an hour the whole way, just laughing my head off because they were such nuggets. A term I heard first, I'm sure, from Dan.
    Those were seriously fun times. All those guys are true originals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gradient View Post
    Dan was my boss. Great guy, super creative and a total blast to work with. He's probably the funniest person I've ever met and I've yet to meet anyone with as much enthusiasm for the sport. Ask him about the time he tried to ditch the cop car in the Onza pepto van. Hope he's doing well. Tell him I said Hi and tell him he was right- about a lot of things. He'll know what that means.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Hooooooo-Boy.
    Holy cow! It is Diaz!

Once ran into Diaz in the middle of the desert. I was driving to LA for Mimbres Man business on I-8 (just to see different territory) heading towards Yuma and was thinking about a crazy-steep climb up to a microwave tower that is just off the interstate. Just as I was passing the road to the tower, I saw Diaz's truck and him and two other guys getting their bikes ready on the shoulder. I hit the brakes hard and pulled to the shoulder then backed up. Dan said he was scared at first seeing a car backing up to them, then he recognized it was me. We climbed that microwave road. It was crazy steep. Standing on the pedals in granny gear steep. Fun stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These were my heroes... Weren't we just talking about the tioga discs? I took the pics at the St-Anne world cup in the early/mid 90s.

juliana.jpg

ned.jpg

tinker.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did anyone have an Etto helmet? I always wanted one of those. Adjustable with an allen wrench, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soupless View Post
    Did anyone have an Etto helmet? I always wanted one of those. Adjustable with an allen wrench, right?
    I had one until I woke up in the hospital from a sever concussion. The polystyrene liner was hardly cracked. The outer shell was undamaged.
    mims[1].jpg