User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Going from Speedplay to Shimano...?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Going from Speedplay to Shimano...?

Greetings to all,

Thinking about trying Ultegra or DA pedals but wondering if I can get my cleats back far enough. I've been using Speedplay with the aluminum extender plate for over a decade now but wondering if the I can position SPD-SL cleats in the same spot. I have Shimano shoes with those adjustable cleat hole spacers so I know I can get it back about another half a cm with that but will it be equivalent is the question. Any thoughts, experiences would be helpful...

Thanks,
    Hansen

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Going from Speedplay to Shimano...?

I donít think so - I like my cleats far back (anything else hurts my knees) and when my Bont shoes with redrilled holes died I changed to Shimano shoes with the sliding holes - but I really want them at least 5mm further back.

Iím thinking of either custom shoes or switching pedals so I can use that adaptor plate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've done the same switch a few weeks ago, and using Shimano shoes too. Measured from the center line marked on the cleat, my Speedplay cleats are set some 12-13 mm behind the center line as marked on the shoe sole. Measured the same way, my SPD-SL cleats are set some 2-3 mm further forward - this is with the cleat nuts pushed all the way back in their slots and the cleats pushed all the way back on the bolts. I can feel the difference (it's compounded by the higher stack height), but so far I've been getting used to it well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thought you feel the power / resistance been introduced at the top op the cleat in a Look style cleat, versus mid shoe on a mtb or Speedplay pedal.
    Nobody talks about this but i find it to be vey real. Especially if your knees are sensitive.