Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Giro d'Italia 2020

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Giro d'Italia 2020

And if Hindley would have stayed with his team leader he (they) still would have wonthe Giro.
    Hard call from the team, but if Keldermans name was Valverde or Nibali, the guys would have been ordered to stay with them , no question.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that was quite an event.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Geoghegan Hart was expected to win today based on past time trial performance and the gap was quite big in the end. We have another Grand Tour winner who also wins the White Jersey.

For me the crucial stage was yesterday with Rohan Dennis moving, a he did two days earlier, from ex World Time Trial Champion to worlds best mountain domestique. It was great to see, after Hindley had attacked twice, Dennis move back into the lead. It was as if he was saying "is that the best you can do?". Dennis finished third on the stage only 25 seconds behind Geoghegan Hart and Hindley.

I think Hindley knew that he had to gain time yesterday and that what was effectively a draw meant that Geoghegan Hart went into the final stage as favourite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well done you Hackney Geezer...... after 1st TT was lying 126th or thereabouts......a-may-zing.

7 stage wins, team, white jersey, and overall......after losing their nominated team leader.

Dennis has become a legend.
    TopGanna has become a legend
    Geoghan-hart has become a believer

Have we not been entertained?

Ps Dowsett’s stage win was one for us Brits too........magic
    Real World persona : Andy Corso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rabo View Post
    And if Hindley would have stayed with his team leader he (they) still would have wonthe Giro.
    I don't think so. A teammate can only help up to an extent. Kelderman was so out of the pace.

Plus in the Stelvio stage you could see that once Rohan Dennis quit pulling Tao Geoghegan Hart was not at 100% otherwise he wouldn't have been able to sprint. If Hindley had waited for Kelderman, Geoghegan wouldn't have restricted himself and gone 100%. In hindsight Hindley should have tried attacking Hart in that stage but I am not sure he would have been able to drop it.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me the revelation is still Joao Almeida.

He obviously knew he would lose the pink jersey but he never eased up in the remaining part. In stage 20 he did the fastest time of the Sestrieres ascent in the 3rd lap to finish 4th and only 1 min from the leaders. Today he did a really strong TT that allowed him to pip Pello Bilbao, the reigning spanish TT champ, for 4th place in the general.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even with Froome leaving the team, Ineos will have four Grand Tour winners in their squad next year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Froome is 36 next year, well past his prime in my opinion. . .

Now let's all watch the Vuelta. I've been enjoying this one... A little sad about France closing the door today, but whatever....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corko View Post
    Well done you Hackney Geezer...... after 1st TT was lying 126th or thereabouts......a-may-zing.

7 stage wins, team, white jersey, and overall......after losing their nominated team leader.

Dennis has become a legend.
    TopGanna has become a legend
    Geoghan-hart has become a believer

Have we not been entertained?

Ps Dowsett’s stage win was one for us Brits too........magic
    Admittedly 126th place on the first stage was only 2 minutes off the lead.

I agree with Thomas that the discovery is Almeida. And I like some of the racing tactics coming out of Sunweb, Quickstep, EF and (yes even) Ineos. By comparison Movistar, Astana and others seem stale.

But I also think having three grand tours squashed together benefits the stronger, wealthier teams. Same as it ever was there I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 weeks ago while commenting on the Giro Cyrille Guimard said Movistar had gone down to Pro Continental level and wasn't worthy of a World Tour licence kinda agree (but would struggle to elect a pro conti squad that would be world tour worthy to replace it).
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I don't think so. A teammate can only help up to an extent. Kelderman was so out of the pace.

Plus in the Stelvio stage you could see that once Rohan Dennis quit pulling Tao Geoghegan Hart was not at 100% otherwise he wouldn't have been able to sprint. If Hindley had waited for Kelderman, Geoghegan wouldn't have restricted himself and gone 100%. In hindsight Hindley should have tried attacking Hart in that stage but I am not sure he would have been able to drop it.
    kelderrman rode 50 k in bad weather alone. If Hindley would have stayed an pulled ( together) it would have made a difference then, and later, because Kelderman drained himself that day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, there was a 1-2 finish that no one would have predicted from the outset.

Those time trials were going to favour Thomas, but no one factored in the errant bottle of water.

Nibali always goes well in the third week and at altitude, but no one factored in a disrupted season and his age. Seemingly age has also caught up with Fulsgang too.

JV couldn't repeat their TdF antics as the virus sent them packing.

Of all the people to rip the race to threads over two mountain stages, I doubt anyone would have predicted Rohan Dennis to be the one to answer the call.

And after the events of the TdF in September...Ineos win seven stages and the overall and over in Spain, they take the leaders jersey as well. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Finally, while it may have been a risk this late in the year, the Stelvio looks fantastic with snow.

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    ...Ineos win seven stages and the overall and over in Spain, they take the leaders jersey as well.
    Right. Thanks to Covid-19, this may be the only time we will see one team win one Grand Tour and take over the lead in another Grand Tour in the same day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Froome is 36 next year, well past his prime in my opinion. . .

Now let's all watch the Vuelta. I've been enjoying this one... A little sad about France closing the door today, but whatever....
    Your wish = my command. See new Vuelta a Espańa thread here:

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...ml#post1025102
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought the best part of yesterday was Tao's dad after the finish and photo bombing. And Tao's happily embarrassed face, seeing his dad's reactions. If you haven't seen it, it's worth finding a footage. Absolutely adorable.

I'm delighted for Tao and, of course, for his dad too.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rabo View Post
    kelderrman rode 50 k in bad weather alone. If Hindley would have stayed an pulled ( together) it would have made a difference then, and later, because Kelderman drained himself that day.
    Call me skeptical that it would have saved him 1 minute and a half over 2 stages especially as the Ineos riders would have been mentally free of fearing an attack from Hindley and would have gained extra time from this.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pilippe Gilbert, commentating for Eurosport, related how a 17 year old Geoghegan Hart had shown him and Tom Boonen around the course prior to the Olympic road race in London in 2012.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had forgotten that Nicholas Portal died this year. But TGH has mentioned it in every interview I’ve seen since his win. And Brailsford made reference to Portal when he said the team was going to race differently from here on out.
    Last edited by j44ke; 10-26-2020 at 07:07 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345