User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Girlfriend just got first cross bike and plans to race this weekend (Rules of CX)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Girlfriend just got first cross bike and plans to race this weekend (Rules of CX)

Girlfriend just got first cross bike and plans to race this weekend. I'm looking on the bright side here. She is a hammer and super Type A personality. She has raced a few mountain bike races, one being 50 miles of awesome singletrack. I even built her a singlespeed to race SSUSA in Vermont this year. She is a good sport.

Cyclocross here in front range Colorado is serious business as Stevil from AHTBM would say. I race singlespeed CX, drink too much beer, wear costumes, and heckle before, during, and after races. I am the anti-serious. Alas, she is not like me. She is serious.

She wants me to teach her the ins and outs of cyclocross racing. I find this respectful and yet quite humorous. I would like to start a list of notes for her. Please feel free to add to them.

1. No matter what clothing you are wearing before the start of your cyclocross race you will always be uncomfortable in some way. Too hot, too cold, too white, etc
    2. Warming up in the parking lot on a trainer is very pro. You are not pro, get off the trainer and go dodge traffic somewhere.
    3. Yes, skinsuits have no pockets.
    4. The brakes on a cyclocross bike are merely a suggestion. They don't in fact stop your bike. The sooner you learn to get off the brakes the faster you'll go.
    5. Clean your bike after the race. It isn't a mountain bike but it also isn't a road bike so put away the dental floss and toothbrush.
    6. Yes, the start of the race is insanely hard. It is also the most important. Get out near the front and attempt to stay there the whole race. Otherwise prepare to be pack fodder.
    7. Take that beer hand up. You just made that guy's day.
    8. Tubulars rule. They are also a pain in the ass and expensive.
    9. Grab the top tube of the bike when portaging. Not the saddle or handlebars.
    10. Compression socks get put on after the race. Preferably at home. Same goes for Crocs.

(I've got to run off to a meeting, hope ya'll can take it from here)

Her new bike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Girlfriend just got first cross bike and plans to race this weekend (Rules of CX)

Pearl earnings, blue mascara and blood are extremely patriotic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Girlfriend just got first cross bike and plans to race this weekend (Rules of CX)

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    9. Grab the top tube of the bike when portaging. Not the saddle or handlebars.
    Only shoulder your bike on a run-up when necessary.

Sort of like with a canoe where you only portage when you've run out of water.

BTW, that looks like a nice bike. Good luck to her.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photo of the girl

Photo of some of her "encouragers"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ride the course several times before each race and pick your lines for difficult sections so you have a race plan

Have a blast that's really what 'cross is all about

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

go til you urp a little, rinse, go again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your list is a good start. My suggestion is to that she be mentally prepared to be slower than she might expect. Cross racing is a lot different than riding on pavement.

That is a pretty high zoot cyclocross bike for someone who has never done a cross race before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

she is intruding on your territory
    next she'll wanna sit in on a hand of the friday night poker game
    "make the break"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed she is, and has been. I bring the fun.

Luckily I have a 300cc 2 stroke enduro motorcycle. That is my man time.

(note Mosaic built that frame for her and the rest of her team for barely over the price of the tubing. She had the option for steel but at the price for a custom Ti frame, hs, and fork I wasn't going to let her turn it down)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as the end of my first road season and beginning of my first cross
    i can't offer much other than keep showing up and blowing it up in new ways despite falling on your face the week/days before
    i've learned a lot

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(note Mosaic built that frame for her and the rest of her team for barely over the price of the tubing. She had the option for steel but at the price for a custom Ti frame, hs, and fork I wasn't going to let her turn it down)
    That is an lucky opportunity. Awesome to see the support of her team, and hope she has lots of fun on the course....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember to turn the CX face of pain grimace into a smile. It'll mess with the other racers.
    Aiming to KICK cancer's butt this time around
    Dancing with NED, raising funds for METS research

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it doesn't hurt, you're doing it wrong.

Cross has to be the hardest thing I've done on 2 wheels while being the most fun at the same time.

M

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4. The brakes on a cyclocross bike are merely a suggestion. They don't in fact stop your bike. The sooner you learn to get off the brakes the faster you'll go.
    My friend I were just discussing braking and cyclocross over the weekend, notably how lousy canti brakes are. Its good to see my observations affirmed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Driving is convenient and all, but there is nothing like riding out to the race, racing, and riding home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Technique will go a very long way and is the hardest to learn for Type A's because you can't run full speed ahead and do it right. You can always add speed to smooth but it's almost impossible to add smooth to speed. Remember, slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a pre-race 3 beer shotgun is a minimal suggestion
    "make the break"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nate2351 View Post
    Driving is convenient and all, but there is nothing like riding out to the race, racing, and riding home.
    Love the idea but I didn't spend the last 6 months restoring these two beauties not to use them. AWD, walk in bike hatch, great heater, and modular seating make for the perfect cyclocross vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love the idea but I didn't spend the last 6 months restoring these two beauties not to use them. AWD, walk in bike hatch, great heater, and modular seating make for the perfect cyclocross vehicle.

weren't those toyotas rated as the most unsafe minvan?
    "make the break"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No worse than a VW bus. The added benefit over those turds is that I actually can go up mountain passes at highway speeds ;)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast