User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Getting a bike in the Middle East?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Getting a bike in the Middle East?

Spending some weeks in Israel and didnít bring a bike because all I heard / read was there isnít much riding here. That much appeared to be true, although I see commuters on 20Ē wheeled electric ďbikesĒ a lot.

I resigned myself to walking and tennis, but then I started seeing folks riding road bikes on Saturdays, when traffic is light, and dad/kid pairings riding MTBs from somewhere to somewhere!

So, anyone from around these parts who could clue me into the scene? And where could I source a bike thats, say, less than, say $600 but is not a hybrid piece of drek, if you know what I mean? (Well, if itís a take-apart that fits, I might spend more, but...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Getting a bike in the Middle East?

There's actually pretty nice roads (and singletrack) to ride in Israel. But the sport there isn't too popular (it's usually considered an expensive past time, like in the US, vs actual popular sport like in parts of Europe).

I don't like mountain biking, so can't help with that. For road cycling, there are no "real" mountains (Mt. Hermon is the only one, and it isn't really in Israel), but there are some very nice roads, with rolling hills and punchy grades, all with usually very good pavement -- and impatient drivers, so most ride early in the morning -- expects rides to start 6am in the summer.

If you're located in central Israel, just get to the gas station at the intersection of roads 44 and 3 at 6:45am on weekends, you'd find a few pelotons going out. My favorite loop from there was riding 44 to Eshta'ol, then following road 395 all the way to Ein Kerem, and back on road 375. I know there are a few clubs in the north, have no idea about the south right now (but if I were you, I'd ask in the Trek Be'er Sheva store: it used to be a roadie hub). Let me know where you are based and I can ask some friends.

As for under $600, don't think you could score anything new, but search the 2nd hand boards at harim.co.il and yad2.co.il.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you, those are great tips! Iím in Rehovot, so about 23 km from that intersection. Would love to connect with riders, if you know them.
    As for bikes, used is fine, all steel is fine (maybe even preferred), donít need many gears or brifters, but 59-61 cm ST and 57-58 cm TT range would be good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post
    Iím in Rehovot, so about 23 km from that intersection.
    Even less than that, tbh. Get up early, ride road 411 towards Tal Shachar, you'll sure to meet other cyclists.

Quote Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post
    As for bikes, used is fine, all steel is fine (maybe even preferred), donít need many gears or brifters, but 59-61 cm ST and 57-58 cm TT range would be good.
    I don't think it'd be easy to find all steel Ė†Israel cycling market is more like the US one, without the 80's bike boom Ė†so the cheapest you could go is probably old aluminum Treks & Specs. Take the train to Tel Aviv, and walk to the Hashmonaim St: you'd find about ten bike shops between Begin and Carlibach streets, some would have used on stock. Not sure where you can find rentals Ė†but I'm certain the staff at one of the stores there would know.