Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Geekhouse

Quote Originally Posted by nycvelo View Post
    Hey Guys,

Just a note about the CX bike in question. I own NYC Velo and bought the bike from Marty. According to Marty, the bike was not his (last I heard, he still had his), it belonged to another team member. The bike comes with brand new, unglued Vittoria tubies, a fact that we have not tried to hide from anyone interested in buying the bike. The old tubies are still on it for test riding purposes, but anyone purchasing the bike will want the new ones. Pro installation of the new tires (as well as the tires themselves) is included in the selling price, you even have the choice of Vittoria Mastik One or Conti glue.

Concerning our role as "middleman", this is probably not an appropriate forum for a discussion on brick-and-mortar LBS economics, though I am open to having said discussion with anyone who stops by the shop. I was approached by Marty in the spring about purchasing the bike as he had not been able to sell it and he was looking for a bit of liquidity. We are big fans of Marty and what he's doing with the Geekhouse brand, so we bought the CX bike from him for the same price he was charging others at the time. Unfortunately, any non-clothing item that we sell and do not ship out of state is subject to NYS sales tax, a requirement that NYC Velo does not control.

I encourage anyone who would like to check out the bike. has questions about it, or has questions about why the bike is priced the way that it is to stop by the shop or contact me directly at andrew@nycvelo.com or 212-253-7771...might as well get the info from the source, no?

Marty, if you're out there, care to comment?
    I was just in NYC this week and stopped by NYC Velo and saw the GH stuff. First time I have seen this stuff and i have to say it was nice. BTW, great shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just saw that Geekhouse seems to have shuttered in 2018. Anyone know what happened? Always loved their bikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wild guess: the branding got old.

I think it attracted a ot of people who turned into cycling through the fixed gear fad. These guys were looking for brands that had a fun character, quite the opposite of Trek or Spesh. Now these people grew older, sold their fixed gear and cx bikes and are now riding the latest Tarmac. They have been assimilated by the road biking boring culture, hired a coach, ride fondos, take peds, wear rapha and are taking themselves way two seriously like they are preparing for the next olympics.

Some may even have started c̶r̶a̶s̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶s̶u̶n̶d̶a̶y̶ racing triathlon.

There is no room for geekhouse anymore. I'm pretty sure the bike were great.

Stupid roadies.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 02-25-2019 at 05:45 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always wanted one. They looked like fun bikes. BTW, Thomas, you don't have to ride a Trekcialized to take PEDs. There are some monster bike polo left-steering-arms out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't realize Geekhouse closed shop. I know Marty and Tyler Evans were close. Tyler if you read this and can share anything I'd love to hear what led to his decision. When I visited Firefly I was munching a big ass doughnut across the street and wasn't surprised to see y'all roll up with Marty. I believe y'all had fat bikes in the bed of your black Tundra.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    I always wanted one. They looked like fun bikes. BTW, Thomas, you don't have to ride a Trekcialized to take PEDs. There are some monster bike polo left-steering-arms out there.
    Obviously my answer should not be read literally. However I still stand behind the idea that the branding do not resonate to potential customers as well as it used to.

I remember seeing lots several diy paintjob copies or parodies (greekhouse duh) of their cx team bikes a few years ago.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 02-25-2019 at 08:39 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    I didn't realize Geekhouse closed shop. I know Marty and Tyler Evans were close. Tyler if you read this and can share anything I'd love to hear what led to his decision. When I visited Firefly I was munching a big ass doughnut across the street and wasn't surprised to see y'all roll up with Marty. I believe y'all had fat bikes in the bed of your black Tundra.
    Marty closed shop and disappeared about a year ago from what I can recall and I haven't heard from him since.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Evans View Post
    Marty closed shop and disappeared about a year ago from what I can recall and I haven't heard from him since.
    That's sad.

I wish I could say I was surprised. The business always seemed more like a fun project than anything sustainable. I hope Marty and his crew all landed somewhere good.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marty is helping to run a test lab for one of Boston's big robotics startups, and he's recruited a few familiar(to me) bike folks to work with him. Sounds like a fun gig to me!
    mickey.denoncourt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bummed to see GH out, he was a big part of the skatepark mtb scene growing up, and my best freind had one of the early bikes, always wanted one.

Still so many geekhouses at any new england cross race, which is awesome to see. Also Saw Marty at a few as well this year too. From what I heard or last talked to him, he had taken a job at a well known boston robotics company a while back.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless I met him at a bike show I don't know the builder in question, but if he is working at Boston Dynamics that'd be awesome. They do some spectacular work. A quick search on YouTube of their prototypes results in jaw dropping viewing.

They are making the prototype Terminators that will come back to protect us from Skynet. Or they're creating the army of drones which will eventually gain consciousness and take over the planet.
    Last edited by Saab2000; 02-25-2019 at 03:00 PM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's not working for Skynet (aka Boston Dynamics) is he?? 'Cause it's gonna suck if a bike guy helps lead to the end of humanity...

Last edited by dgaddis; 02-25-2019 at 03:29 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    He's not working for Skynet (aka Boston Dynamics) is he?? 'Cause it's gonna suck if a bike guy helps lead to the end of humanity...

When I see these humanoid shaped robots mimicking human movements and we see in the clip above body movements very much in line with how a human body would do the same thing it makes me wonder if they're trying to mimic the human shape and movement because it's the best at the task through evolution or if there are other reasons to reproduce this motion. I would imagine that there are better shaped robots that could achieve the same thing with less complex motions. But I'm no expert. It seems that creating a bipedal robot that can run and jump would be incredibly challenging.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brings to mind the Black Mirror episode where the robot dogs track down people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    When I see these humanoid shaped robots mimicking human movements and we see in the clip above body movements very much in line with how a human body would do the same thing it makes me wonder if they're trying to mimic the human shape and movement because it's the best at the task through evolution or if there are other reasons to reproduce this motion. I would imagine that there are better shaped robots that could achieve the same thing with less complex motions. But I'm no expert. It seems that creating a bipedal robot that can run and jump would be incredibly challenging.
    I think it's easy to design something to do any single task better than a human can, like jumping over a log, or running fast. But designing something that can run fast, over a variety of surfaces, then jump over a log, while carrying something (like a rifle....), and then manipulate something like a door knob, navigate around a building, go up or down stairs, etc it's a way harder design challenge.

The human body isn't the best at anything really, but it's very versatile.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Beaudoin View Post
    Brings to mind the Black Mirror episode where the robot dogs track down people.
    Oh, you mean this dog?

Or this one?

More of the yellow one...it's persistent.

Last edited by dgaddis; 02-25-2019 at 05:09 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's definitely CX in the DNA of that thing, perfect barrier and stairs technique. I hope they named it Sven. Or better, Marianne...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had to double-take and make sure I clicked on the right thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marty knew how to build a bike, and the bikes that went out under his ownership of GeekHouse were solid.

Significantly before "gravel bikes" became a thing, i asked him to build me a road bike with fat tire clearances for dirt road adventures. A D2R2 machine [shortly] before the genre existed. I've got a pile of miles on mine, and it was my A#1 bike for a long stretch. Road miles, vermont dirt roads, a couple few deerfield 180's. this bike is awesome.

i can't speak for Marty of course, but i do know that he was a younger guy, and the pressure of earning a living trying to sell bike frames and maintain a large shop space in Boston can not be exactly easy. Life is all about opportunities and timing, knowing when to take an opportunity that floats by is huge. I wish him the absolute best in whatever occupies his time these days. I hope to pedal some miles with him somewhere, some day too.

here is is, resting after another well done d2r2, what it was really made for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Theres quite a few of bike guys there, so I think we'll be well protected atleast, ha
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast