User Tag List

Thread: garmin devices suddenly not recognized

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default garmin devices suddenly not recognized

it doesn't happen often but it does happen. i know the solution , it always takes me a few minutes.
    any idea what causes it? i know the un-pairing and then rep-pairing routine. it just happened again.
    probably happens to me on average once a year

-Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: garmin devices suddenly not recognized

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    it doesn't happen often but it does happen. i know the solution , it always takes me a few minutes.
    any idea what causes it? i know the un-pairing and then rep-pairing routine. it just happened again.
    probably happens to me on average once a year

-Mike G
    I'd tend to say simply that under the term bluetooth exist a number of protocols with different versions of the norms and it end up being a clusterfuck with varying qualities of implementation, especially between different brands of devices. And since you have no way to get access to any kind of logging on these devices, you are doomed to do that un-pairing/re-pairing procedure once in a while.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recent update to the firmware?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good answer, not that i'm aware of. but possible i guess

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are these bluetooth connections or ANT+? Just a lot of interference noise in NYC. I was convinced that ambulances and NYPD could blitz connections when they passed by. Lots of bluetooth in cars. Earlier bluetooth had a lot of problems with managing more than one connection, and it seemed like even nearby unconnected bluetooth signals could confuse a device. Then everything was out of sync until you repaired everything. It is only in the last several years that bluetooth has gotten more stable handling several connections.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It must be in the air, my 620 running gps isn't syncing after the most recent update to garmin connect. Connect sees it and knows it is there but it doesn't go up to the connect website. This with a USB cradle on windoz...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
    --Douglas Adams

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Are these bluetooth connections or ANT+? Just a lot of interference noise in NYC. I was convinced that ambulances and NYPD could blitz connections when they passed by. Lots of bluetooth in cars. Earlier bluetooth had a lot of problems with managing more than one connection, and it seemed like even nearby unconnected bluetooth signals could confuse a device. Then everything was out of sync until you repaired everything. It is only in the last several years that bluetooth has gotten more stable handling several connections.
    the device is bluetooth but years ago a cop passed by me and perhaps a coincidence but my garmin unpaired at that very instance. never happened again like that -mike g

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Garmin (1030) is best described as "fiddly." Un-pairs regularly (2x a month?) and I frequently find myself pecking through screens trying to remember how to un-pair/repair. I love it when it works but it is inconsistent. My phone (Iphone 7) is getting long in the tooth so maybe that is an issue too.
    DJ Boyd

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to beat a dead horse, but these are the same issues and others that drove me to buy a Wahoo several years ago. After not having ridden for most of the lock-down, I charged it up, turned it on and everything worked. When I had a Garmin, I would have needed to redo everything after a break like that. I won't say the Wahoo is perfect, but most issues are a product of my impatience - trying to go too fast and not just let it do its thing at start up. I run three sensors and upload to Strava and RWGPS at the end of each ride, and there are months that go by without any break downs. And usually nothing having to do with the sensors - usually a bolloxed upload of ride data that is corrected by deleting the ride from the app and resyncing the device. YMMV.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books