Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The future of road bikes?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The future of road bikes?

Quote Originally Posted by DOOFUS View Post
    you guys....

bike shit is really good right now -- shop around and two grand gets you a ridiculously good bike. That's only going to get better.

I just got a deal on a 6800 group and threw it on the CAAD10 (bought as a CAAD 10 105 on closeout a couple of years ago). 16.26 pounds, for a 58cm with alloy training clinchers. Get the fuck out. I'm sure if you had showed me a picture of it when I was young and fast and profligate, and thought my 8sp Dura Ace TSX Merckx was the shit (which, at the time, it most certainly was), I would have said "that's so ugly."

Adjust for inflation, my mid-range beer can is a whole lot better bike at half the price of that Pro-Tour level rig of twenty-five years ago.

The carbon swoopy bikes are fine. Actually, they are more than fine. They kick ass. I don't look at the thing while riding it -- if it handles well, rides well, and is stupid light (and, compared to what those of us of a certain age grew up racing, almost every bike today qualifies as stupid light), I'm good with it.
    Robert, I couldn't agree more. Cycling is the poster child for trickle-down tech. Cycling is also the poster child for marketing chicanery. We suffer from the worst recovery rates of old (old = last year's shit) of any sport/hobby. Now, you compound this with niches within niches i.e. special purpose bikes, and you're beginning to spend the money ever thinner. For Christ's sake you call 'gravel ginder' a 'cross bike' and you've cut's its already low value in half. Marketing...

Yes the bikes may ride 'better', they're lighter, they're 'cheaper', but what good is it if it looks like shit? The favorable aesthetics, fit, feel of a bike or a shirt, for that matter, is what keeps me coming back.
    Rick Stubblefield

Luxury is a neccessity after the first time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
    First review here from RCUK, not pretty reading. Maybe worth saving your hard earned £3,600 for a different frame set....

3T Strada - first ride review - Road Cycling UK
    Reviews depend much more on the actual state of mind, current fitness and road companions of the writer than on qualities of one bike.

In other words : the night before the writer had an argument with his wife on the phone, the flight was delayed, the taxi driver not very likeable and that day he was the slowest of the group. It could be any bike the result would be the same with words choosen differently based on the aesthetics of the bike and narrative of the brand.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like

Well if you read it
    Vroomen has either lied or not being professional when speaking to the media ...

The characteristics on 3T website now says effective clearance 28 mm measured .
    But Before that review it was 30mm effective clearance .
    And that's on 18mm internal width and 25 mm external widths wheels .
    So not very aero with 28mm tires , I only see wheels like the enve AR 4.5 with 25 mm internal and 30 mm external ( approximately )
    being wide enough to have an aero junction with the 28mm tires .

And when you see the scratch under the crown of the fork ouch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
    First review here from RCUK, not pretty reading. Maybe worth saving your hard earned £3,600 for a different frame set....

3T Strada - first ride review - Road Cycling UK

Vroomen is an idiot if they didn't get the clearances right.
    It's one thing to look close in photos, but if normal riding causes that kind of scratching,
    then i take back my earlier confidence in the project. There's no excuse.

-g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like

I bet they only worked on unpainted prototypes and forget to take into account the thickness of the paint in the finished product. This + the undished wheel in the first press release makes me think they just rushed to deliver a product within the deadline.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    This + the undished wheel in the first press release makes me think they just rushed to deliver a product within the deadline.
    I don't know if the issue is being rushed, but if they do a press launch with tires that measure 30.5mm
    fitted on bikes that are designed to be aero tight with 28mm, it makes you wonder what's going on there.
    The point should be clear, what size fits in a functional tolerance? The Cervelo S5 pushed this boundary too,
    it's sort of crazy that the 3T launch has bikes kitted out don't conform to their own guidelines.

Even with the extra 2.5mm that a true 28mm tire would provide, the gaps are borderline. It's one of those
    things you have to ask what's the upside vs the downside of this close tolerance? I had more faith in 3T to
    get this right, it appears that was misplaced.

-g

Post Thanks / Like

OTOH, who cares about paint scratch on unseen areas of a non ferrous frame that barely see any UV ? Just playing devil advocate here but I have taken the most of my bike's clearance and certainly don't give a f about the paint marks I got on several parts* of my festka despite its lairy and expensive paint.

* underside of the fork crown and dropouts, inside of the chainstays.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like

This project either appears rushed or there's a culture where nobody wants to acknowledge that the design isn't working as intended. Both of these make me nervous about the company's ability to address risk and makes me unlikely to buy any of their products. Also I'm curious about what size tire (actual measured size) some of the other aero-ish disc frame bikes take such as the Venge, BMC, etc.... I can't imagine this frame being that much more aero than those frame and the if it only takes a true 25-28, not sure if it's compromises are worth it. The toe overlap is also a real issue even if the tire issue wasn't there.
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like

OTOH, who cares about paint scratch on unseen areas of a non ferrous frame that barely see any UV ? Just playing devil advocate here .
    Coming from my retail background, that's not something I would be prepared to test.

-g

Post Thanks / Like

Tire clearance is an advertised advantage, yes? Well then provide it. No reason not to. John Cobb's wind tunnel work shows that tight tire-to-frame clearance is bad for aero. Things happen out there, and clearance is insurance. Wheels get whomped, tires can get casing cuts and lumps, mud and grass and gravel can stick, you can pick up sticks and slugs. We need clearance, Clarence.

Losing paint is one thing, but tire rub is not sustainable. A rub on a sidewall becomes a failure (tire, not frame) in short order.

Revise and resubmit, 3ttt.
    Tödd Höllând

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate to buy shit we don't need. -- Tyler Durden

Post Thanks / Like

OTOH, who cares about paint scratch on unseen areas of a non ferrous frame that barely see any UV ? Just playing devil advocate here but I have taken the most of my bike's clearance and certainly don't give a f about the paint marks I got on several parts* of my festka despite its lairy and expensive paint.

* underside of the fork crown and dropouts, inside of the chainstays.
    It's one thing for a rider get a little rub when taking a bike to it's max (or arguably past it) in terms of how big a tire you choose to use and another thing for a company to make bold claims about clearance and get tire rub when they're the ones who spec'd all the parts.

Have they released the wind tunnel data for this bike yet? I think it was mentioned in the release articles that they would. I'm curious to see how it really stacks up against some of the other aero bikes out there that are more traditional looking.

Post Thanks / Like

Just affirms for me that this bike is merely a rejiggered Cervelo S5 or S3 Disc. Yawn.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Just affirms for me that this bike is merely a rejiggered Cervelo S5 or S3 Disc. Yawn.

That Cervelo is badass by comparison. As far as future bikes go, I'm really digging the Bianchi Oltre XR4 and new Orbea Orca Aero.

Post Thanks / Like

the future of road bikes look to me is allways changing something and never perfect the thing.......

to me this is still the future road bike

Post Thanks / Like

^^ Nothing is perfect. But that, my friend, is damn close! NICE!
    Rick Stubblefield

Luxury is a neccessity after the first time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by erick View Post
    the future of road bikes look to me is allways changing something and never perfect the thing.......

to me this is still the future road bike
    Found more on that at How to Make a Superlight Bike for the “Concours de Machines” | Off The Beaten Path

Interesting what Peter, who could build and ride just any bike he could conceive, chooses to build and ride. And how he chose to equip that one.
    Tödd Höllând

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate to buy shit we don't need. -- Tyler Durden

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tamu8104 View Post
    This project either appears rushed or there's a culture where nobody wants to acknowledge that the design isn't working as intended. Both of these make me nervous about the company's ability to address risk and makes me unlikely to buy any of their products. Also I'm curious about what size tire (actual measured size) some of the other aero-ish disc frame bikes take such as the Venge, BMC, etc.... I can't imagine this frame being that much more aero than those frame and the if it only takes a true 25-28, not sure if it's compromises are worth it. The toe overlap is also a real issue even if the tire issue wasn't there.
    Yeah the whole thing is sloppy. The bike for press release photos doesn't look as good as it should. Bars are rotated funny, brake levers too high, more spacers than necessary on top of the stem. 5mins of work would easily fix all of that and make the bike look better.

And the tire rub on the fork crown of a bike provided for journalist is inexcusable. It really is as if they never actually rode the bike before putting it out there. I wonder how many miles it took to get to looking this bad, because the thing is, it's paint today, but you'll wear through the carbon eventually.

Photo from: 3T Strada - first ride review - Road Cycling UK

Also, at the end of the review under Pro's they list great handling, but under Cons they list Awkward Geometry. Which one is it?
    Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram
    Southern Wheelworks: Website - Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    That Cervelo is badass by comparison. As far as future bikes go, I'm really digging the Bianchi Oltre XR4 and new Orbea Orca Aero.
    Agreed. I'd add the new S-Works Tarmac Ultralight to that list.

But really I'd take a Weigle ultralight first.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post

Also, at the end of the review under Pro's they list great handling, but under Cons they list Awkward Geometry. Which one is it?
    The awkward geo bit is probably referring to the toe overlap referenced earlier in the review.

Post Thanks / Like

The 3T looks like it was created by a marketing team using every trend going:

1x11 - check
    "aero" - check
    discs - check
    hydro - check
    wide tires - check
    deep rims - check
    unusual look - check
    short top tube - check
    ultra-short wheelbase - check
    paint in black, red or white - check