Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: The future of road bikes?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The future of road bikes?

Quote Originally Posted by WFSTEKL View Post
    Okay I am projecting a bit because these machines represent what moves me at the moment.

About twenty years ago a local race promotor said that road racing was gasping for breath, and randonneuring was gaining momentum so that is where he put his efforts. I was skeptical. This genre of riding has not overwhelmed the sport, but it has gained some converts, and you can throw a blanket over the entire adventure/dirt road segment to be included. I like the machines that I have included here. They invite the athlete to sit at the table and enjoy a long meal.
    You know... those bikes make no sense to me at all.

1. Fancy steel with fancy paint... which will scuffed when used and rust prone. Also, skinny tubes means low stifness or heavy weight. Alu makes so much more sense when taking along bags (even small ones).
    2. Skinny tires? Oh, I know, lovely beige walls... really pretty, but I prefer a bit more practical tires.
    3. Paniers that when they fold will be total loss (due to stick/stone/acorn). Why not simple SKS plastic paniers that are bombproof?

Here's a bike that actually makes sense. Then again, this company is well known for making bikes that are actually used in deserts and the Himalaya, instead of eye-candy for a show *runs to dodge the heavy objects thrown my way*

In all seriousness, I dig the style of those bikes, but they are silly, form over function.
    Support your local bike shop.

Post Thanks / Like

"The big brands want to push people towards disc brakes because that way there are fewer bikes design options out there and so they can dominate the market even more. If everyone is on disc brakes, then it's easier for them. It doesn't work that way for us," [...] "At the moment we don't think a high-performance bike needs disc brakes. In the future perhaps, but probably with another braking system." Fausto Pinarello, january 2017

Yeaaaaah right, it doesn't work that way for you.

That said: shimano disc brakes sold with sram centerline rotors. That's new to me. The campagnolo bike is lighter than air while the shimano one suffer from gravity according to the pictures.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Loknor View Post

1. Fancy steel with fancy paint... which will scuffed when used and rust prone. Also, skinny tubes means low stifness or heavy weight. Alu makes so much more sense when taking along bags (even small ones).
    2. Skinny tires? Oh, I know, lovely beige walls... really pretty, but I prefer a bit more practical tires.
    3. Paniers that when they fold will be total loss (due to stick/stone/acorn). Why not simple SKS plastic paniers that are bombproof?

Here's a bike that actually makes sense. Then again, this company is well known for making bikes that are actually used in deserts and the Himalaya, instead of eye-candy for a show *runs to dodge the heavy objects thrown my way*

In all seriousness, I dig the style of those bikes, but they are silly, form over function.
    This is marriage to a rather homley spouse with an adequate personality.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post

<snip...>

That said: shimano disc brakes sold with sram centerline rotors. That's new to me. ...

The non-centerlock rotors are likely to do with the use of non-centerlock hubs/wheels. I guess they like to stick to the Camp/Fulcrum wheels.

....The campagnolo bike is lighter than air while the shimano one suffer from gravity according to the pictures.
    Or is that the Shimano equipped version is so far up that you can not see the ground/shadow ;)
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like

1. Fancy paint is also found on aluminum and carbon bikes, even some titanium. My steel bikes have no rust problems, they do have spots of rust, but the only bike that ever had major corrosion issues was aluminum, they used a different alloy for the "braze-ons". I've seen fittings corrode like mad on carbon bikes too. Getting the details right is important for every material. Weigle is a master of detail.

2. I don't consider 38-mm tires skinny, especially under someone the size of Mr. Weigle.

3. Panier = fender? This where a composite, Kevlar specifically, would be great!
    Tödd Höllând

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate to buy shit we don't need. -- Tyler Durden

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bewheels View Post
    The non-centerlock rotors are likely to do with the use of non-centerlock hubs/wheels. I guess they like to stick to the Camp/Fulcrum wheels.
    Except the campy rotors are centrlock and both bora/fulcrum are available in centerlock version. Besides there are also pictures of zipp (also available in centerlock version) equipped F10 sporting the same rotors.

Or is that the Shimano equipped version is so far up that you can not see the ground/shadow ;)
    I knew I should have swapped the pictures ;)
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice bike but it's curious to me that Pinarello didn't follow the trend of hiding the cables on the front end. All the marketing buzz indicates that hiding the front cables are where the best gains are on the current iteration of aero bikes.
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tamu8104 View Post
    Very nice bike but it's curious to me that Pinarello didn't follow the trend of hiding the cables on the front end. All the marketing buzz indicates that hiding the front cables are where the best gains are on the current iteration of aero bikes.
    Riiiiiight. I can guarantee you if I had a bike with all hidden cables I still wouldn't be able to pick up the 2mph needed to hang with the A group on the Tues/Thurs Worlds rides here in middle GA.
    Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram
    Southern Wheelworks: Website - Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Riding a recumbent or putting your head down and bend your elbow come waaaaay before hiding cables. Then shoe covers.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like

Riding a recumbent or putting your head down and bend your elbow come waaaaay before hiding cables. Then shoe covers.
    This is clear to everyone except the marketing experts.

One thing I do like and it may or may not be actually better, is the fact that direct mount brakes are gaining prominence. I have no idea if they're better, but I kind of like them anyway.

Oh, and Campagnolo needs to do something about their wires and the junction box. I don't find their groupset hateful, but it's time to deal the the ugly junction box. I could envision buying EPS in my future but that's a turnoff.

Post Thanks / Like

That said: shimano disc brakes sold with sram centerline rotors.
    That's because all the Shimano rotors are fugly, even by the standard of bike brake rotors.
    Andy Cohen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    That's because all the Shimano rotors are fugly, even by the standard of bike brake rotors.
    That's like complaining about ugly hub caps on an Aztec.
    Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram
    Southern Wheelworks: Website - Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    3. Panier = fender? This where a composite, Kevlar specifically, would be great!
    *I should have used a dutch to English dictionary there* Paniers are bags, right? I did indeed mean the fenders

On the bikes; I find the bikes elaborate showpieces with finicky parts (details). I fully understand the draw of the bikes and the masterful skills at display. But I must be honest, functionally I don't "get them". And that's fine, not every woman should be a homely spouse
    Support your local bike shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tamu8104 View Post
    See also: Italian threaded bottom bracket shell c. 2017

Post Thanks / Like

*I should have used a dutch to English dictionary there* Paniers are bags, right? I did indeed mean the fenders

On the bikes; I find the bikes elaborate showpieces with finicky parts (details). I fully understand the draw of the bikes and the masterful skills at display. But I must be honest, functionally I don't "get them". And that's fine, not every woman should be a homely spouse
    Ahem, as I am homely, and married, and of the male gender, it cannot be denied that a "homely spouse" can indeed be a male knuckle dragger such as myself. ;>)