Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Frame Building and Outsourcing

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe he's referring to places like this - http://www.habcycles.com/

They don't hide where they come from. From what I understand, there's a lot of ti welding goin' on China and Russia. I'm sure they're very qualified.

Post Thanks / Like

i have been building sachs bikes for years. actually i take all his builds under 54cm, i take em to my plant in reynosa mexico, about a 6 hr drive from here.

it works so damn well for e-RICHIE that he has no idea i've been doing this.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crumpton View Post
    i have been building sachs bikes for years. actually i take all his builds under 54cm, i take em to my plant in reynosa mexico, about a 6 hr drive from here.

nick also had jose have carlos help juanita build my most important american product -
    my 17" dell vostro atmo.

Post Thanks / Like

i also paint them there cause bell is always busy painting kirks.

Post Thanks / Like

You just slap a california shipping label on them and "e" thinks they're something he shipped out for paint a long time ago?

Post Thanks / Like

Something that opened my eyes a few years ago was seeing the welds on a $35 car exhaust resonator from China. I was basically in disbelief that something with that quality of welds was so cheap. Of course I'm not qualified to say anything about welds or their penetration through the metal or the quality of the metal or filler. Just sayin'. I guess in any case, though, not everything warrants the best, best quality (e.g. exhaust resonator, versus a bicycle meant to last a lifetime)

I also noticed one day that I have some shirts from Target and they're all from China. They're all decent quality... stuff you would probably buy for more elsewhere. Not my nicest clothes but I do enjoy wearing some of them quite a bit and I always have nicer clothes (but probably fewer of them than I otherwise would) for when I want to wear them.

As for buying FSA carbon handlebars or, say, bikes manufactured by Giant and sold by Colnago, I don't see much inherently wrong with their having been made there. Also, as an aside: Taiwan is not China as far as I'm concerned so I think that's important to keep in mind as well...

For the record though, I've noticed my jeans are actually made in Italy...almost strange when you find something like that these days. =P

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    my tubes are all made in italy by a company that can do a much better job at fabricating aluminum tubes than i ever could.
    my frames are all built by a guy in colorado who can do a much better job at fabrication than i ever could.
    my frames are all heat treated at a facility in colorado that can do a much better job at heat treating aluminum than i ever could.
    my frames are all painted by a guy in california that can do a much better job at painting than i ever could.

the bikes still get my name on the downtube because they're my bikes.

anyway,
    jerk
    I want to see more info about these I am hearing about. Sounds nice. You have some pics of one?
    -Mike

Post Thanks / Like

caleb: Good question. I was making a general statement about US bike companies and suppliers; it's one of the reasons I used quotes around "frame builders".

The link that Chauncey refers to--the one that Kerry Roberts wrote--provides some examples of companies that source outside their own country, and that are not always obvious or transparent about it. One interesting example, for the general public, and mentioned in Kerry's article, is Cannondale. From my experience, most bike riders think that all Cannondales are made in the US. While that was true a few years ago, it's not anymore.

There are other interesting and not obvious examples--small and large. Some companies are deceptive about sourcing; many are not deceptive.

And, just to be clear, I have nothing against frames made in China--or any other country. I've visited many factories in China and know lots of companies that make very good products. I mentioned in my blog post--that caleb referenced--that I'm interested in ""how", not "where"" a frame is made.

I hope this clarifies my "frame builders" statement a bit. I would have been more accurate to use the term "bike companies". It's one of my challenges when writing well past my bedtime.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Default I found ordering and unpacking

my frame deliveries from China too much hassle
    So I hired some cheap labour to build em here

You know they only cost $13.00 each and $20 a month to keep em fed
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSmith View Post
    the z4 comes from china along with the new production TT frame.

parlee doesn't advertise this but they'll tell anyone who asks.

the z1, z2, z3, and custom TT frames are still made in peabody, MA.
    Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    "hey, we got grenades!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hampco View Post

Steve,

I knew the answer and was just being pissy. I think it's bogus playing up all of the "12 person shop" BS when the frames came over on a boat. Bob's choice, but it's dilutive in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

I bet that Rooster makes more than I do AND gets better benefits.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Who called me a rooster?

Quote Originally Posted by Scheisserad61 View Post
    I bet that Rooster makes more than I do AND gets better benefits.
    me and the sisters here are not well pleased by that

Regards Harriet

PS. Benefits,
    ha
    it's bloody dangerous here, foxes and carpet pythons have taken their toll on my sisters
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dazza; 02-05-2009 at 11:14 PM. Reason: try typing with your beak and see how you go

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hampco View Post

A guy from Parlee talking about their new (Chinese) Z4 in the Velonews article: "We’re still 12 people, but we’re getting after it in terms of production."

It seems that there are now more than 12 people involved...

Post Thanks / Like

Rob from Seven: Thanks for stopping by and clarifying your article. After reading through your blog I'm left with the feeling that Seven has the right outlook. Keep it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    me and the sisters here are not well pleased by that

Regards Harriet

PS. Benefits,
    ha
    it's bloody dangerous here, foxes and carpet pythons have taken their toll on my sisters
    I wanna see that bird with some 400 grit on the SS.:eek:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    A guy from Parlee talking about their new (Chinese) Z4 in the Velonews article: "We’re still 12 people, but we’re getting after it in terms of production."

That's misleading at best, and a bold faced lie at worst. It's not 12 people doing the production, it's a bunch of people they don't even know.

Parlee built a brand with niche appeal and now he wants to liquidate it. Understandable, but at least keep your integrity while doing it.
    Dude, you're projecting a lot into some article that may or may not accurately depict what was said, how it was said, and the context surrounding it.

To summarize: chill out with the accusations, cupcake.
    "It's better to not know so much than to know so many things that ain't so." -- Josh Billings, 1885

A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us.

Post Thanks / Like

i also paint them there cause bell is always busy painting kirks.

ooooooh, now i want a red crumpton!

how many painted (not including e's) vs. "natural" bikes do you do?