User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 97

Thread: Four Things We Can Learn From Rapha

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    428
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Four Things We Can Learn From Rapha

    Whether you like the brand or not, they're consistent. It's a Social World out there! Can you think of other cycling brands with a consistent message?

    The Power of Story: Four Things We Can Learn From Rapha - Briana Campbell

    Sarcastic and Meh comments are also welcome ;)
     

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Alameda, CA
    Posts
    2,352
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Four Things We Can Learn From Rapha

    "Sell the sizzle, not the steak" comes to mind. Though it helps if the steak is pretty good.
    steve cortez

    FNG

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    1,056
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Four Things We Can Learn From Rapha

    5. Spend a lot on marketing/advertising.
    6. Have a really high markup on a simple product.
     

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,473
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Four Things We Can Learn From Rapha

    come and have your weak brain sucked out.
     

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,176
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Four Things We Can Learn From Rapha

    1. advertising
    2. advertising
    3. advertising
    4. marketing

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    276
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Four Things We Can Learn From Rapha

    inflate prices. dish out coupon codes every so often that reduce that high price. consumer will feel compelled to buy quickly and before coupon expiration.
     

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Khen-Tuck-ee, USA
    Posts
    1,802
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Four Things We Can Learn From Rapha

    Rapha is not a real company, it is field trial by a bunch of University of Edinburgh graduate psych students.
    All will be revealed in the British Journal of Psychology.
     

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Northwest CT
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Four Things We Can Learn From Rapha

    Does the general populous (here) dislike Rapha? My first Rapha product was a long sleeve jersey purchased several years ago. I was more than likely sucked in by the sexy videos and continental ride reports but their jerseys are fantastic and just work for me. Money well spent -- no buyer's remorse here.
     

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Charlottesville
    Posts
    6,862
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Four Things We Can Learn From Rapha

    I find myself curating more
    "make the break"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    281
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Four Things We Can Learn From Rapha

    Quote Originally Posted by summilux View Post
    5. Spend a lot on marketing/advertising.
    I wonder if Rapha spends a lot compared to, for instance, Pearl Izumi? I'm guessing they actually spend less than some of the big clothing brands --- but they aren't trying to sell to the new cyclist.

    Blah, it's still too expensive for me, but after my kids are out of college (20 years from now) I hope to still be their target market.
     

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,863
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Four Things We Can Learn From Rapha

    Quote Originally Posted by Human Epic Jolt View Post
    come and have your weak brain sucked out.
    "These aren't the droids you're looking for...."
     

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Okanagan Valley, BC. Canada.
    Posts
    2,767
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Four Things We Can Learn From Rapha

    These weren't funny the first 22 times.

    It still isn't.
     

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,863
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Four Things We Can Learn From Rapha

    Quote Originally Posted by omnigrid View Post
    inflate prices. dish out coupon codes every so often that reduce that high price. consumer will feel compelled to buy quickly and before coupon expiration.
    I must admit, the coupon codes actually do work on me :) I never buy Rapha at full price, only when it's on sale, so I don't feel the pinch of its MSRP.

    I like the simplicity of the Rapha design. Blocks of colour or single colour, kind of like a Hampsten paint job. And the stuff lasts a long time. I'm still using Rapha clothes purchased from '05 - still going strong. Except for my old Ridley cross bike, all of my bikes are newer than that.
     

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Charlottesville
    Posts
    6,862
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Four Things We Can Learn From Rapha

    Quote Originally Posted by toomanybikes View Post
    These weren't funny the first 22 times.

    It still isn't.
    the key is going to 30
    we are hard workers
    "make the break"

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    1,405
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Four Things We Can Learn From Rapha

    Quote Originally Posted by fixednwinter View Post
    I must admit, the coupon codes actually do work on me :) I never buy Rapha at full price, only when it's on sale, so I don't feel the pinch of its MSRP.

    I like the simplicity of the Rapha design. Blocks of colour or single colour, kind of like a Hampsten paint job. And the stuff lasts a long time. I'm still using Rapha clothes purchased from '05 - still going strong. Except for my old Ridley cross bike, all of my bikes are newer than that.

    Exactly. It's good stuff, even if it is from China. Some stuff is marked "Made in Italy" but since the standards to be made in Italy are so lax, I'm assuming that it is made in China, too. I don't think I've ever paid full price, and I've never regretted any of the stuff I've bought. I bought some Capo stuff on major clearance, and I'll never make that mistake again. Same with the Castelli stuff I've gotten.


    And what advertising are people talking about? Do they actually advertise anywhere outside of Roleur? Or do you just hate the videos/ rides/ epicness? I'm more offended by all of those incredibly shitty Campy print ads than anything I've ever seen from Rapha.
     

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,365
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Four Things We Can Learn From Rapha

    So what I'm taking away from these Rapha threads is maybe there's an opportunity to take the whole thing downmarket. If you could make nice looking bike clothing and sell it at the Gnashbar pricepoint...perhaps us cyclists endowed with a surplus of good taste but a paucity of disposable income would patronize such a brand(?) Just because you want to spend short money on bike clothing doesn't mean you want to look like a tool, after all. A quick perusal of the lingerie dept. at a Target, for instance, will show anyone with even a passing familiarity with the Rag trade that it's possible to build with second-tier materials that look pretty close to, and deliver about 80% of the value/feel/longevity..of the high-priced spreads.

    You could get your "Continental"-style bikes from the likes of Surly, All-City, Wabi, Leader, Origin-8, etc... and your 'Epic" rides could be along the lines of urban bar-crawls, railyard cyclocross, or a trials event on the steps of the Boston Public Library.

    A Festivus for the rest of us, as it were....
     

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,379
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Four Things We Can Learn From Rapha

    It's the middle of March, must be time for another Rapha thread. . .
     

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    bend
    Posts
    1,493
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Four Things We Can Learn From Rapha

    i would love to see the list of traffic referrals and search terms that bring people to rapha's site..
     

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    1,405
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Four Things We Can Learn From Rapha

    Quote Originally Posted by chancerider View Post
    So what I'm taking away from these Rapha threads is maybe there's an opportunity to take the whole thing downmarket. If you could make nice looking bike clothing and sell it at the Gnashbar pricepoint...perhaps us cyclists endowed with a surplus of good taste but a paucity of disposable income would patronize such a brand(?) Just because you want to spend short money on bike clothing doesn't mean you want to look like a tool, after all. A quick perusal of the lingerie dept. at a Target, for instance, will show anyone with even a passing familiarity with the Rag trade that it's possible to build with second-tier materials that look pretty close to, and deliver about 80% of the value/feel/longevity..of the high-priced spreads.

    You could get your "Continental"-style bikes from the likes of Surly, All-City, Wabi, Leader, Origin-8, etc... and your 'Epic" rides could be along the lines of urban bar-crawls, railyard cyclocross, or a trials event on the steps of the Boston Public Library.

    A Festivus for the rest of us, as it were....
    I like what you're doin' here, but on a semi-serious note, there is at least two semi-Rapha companies, Torm and Road Holland. Both have better price points, but aren't that cheap.
     

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    FLG/Belgium, N.A.
    Posts
    210
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Four Things We Can Learn From Rapha

    I can't say that I don't shake my head sometimes at the whole play on inclusive exclusivity, but my lady friend gifted me a set of deep winter tights and a merino winter hat for the holidays. Both pieces are fantastic to wear and keep the elements at bay. I've looked at every square cm of those pieces and can't find anything wrong with them.

    That said, no way she pays retail for them :)
     

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. another beautiful film from rapha - Rapha Continental The Movie
    By metanoize in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 06-03-2011, 01:29 PM
  2. Things we can learn...
    By quickag in forum The OT
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-16-2011, 02:06 AM
  3. read, and learn
    By SteveP in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-05-2011, 11:22 PM
  4. Secret handshake, when do learn it?
    By Disturbed in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-23-2010, 08:37 PM
  5. Advices for a beginner that want to learn how to ride a bicycle
    By HAppyKAmikaze in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-05-2010, 09:40 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •