User Tag List

Thread: Force Hydraulic rim brakes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Force Hydraulic rim brakes?

Does anyone have experience with the SRAM Force Hydraulic rim brakes?

SRAM Force(R) 22 Shifters/Hydraulic Rim | SRAM

Is a 28mm tire really the limit? Noticable reduction in hand fatigue over the course of a long ride?
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Force Hydraulic rim brakes?

28 on a Firecrest. That's pretty fat. I have a set of Red at home in the parts box that I can mock up on a CLX 50, but ain't got no 28s.

I thought the brakes were brilliant. Had the shitty recall not happened, I really think they would've taken off. Made so much sense for those with weaker hands, but didn't want upgrade frames and wheels. Loads of stopping power with the predictability you'd expect from a standard caliper road brake.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Dustin. This is my take on them too. I may source a set for my Gaulzetti to test before taking the plunge on the new frame, but the concept makes a ton of sense as long as you're not trying to run massive tires.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently the Red versions (which I assume are functionally identical to Force) will clear a 34, but brake clearances are largely frame dependent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoa, well this is going to be custom steel, so it looks like we have a winner!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From their site:
    "Optimized stopping power and modulation for cyclocross"

Not sure where they race cross...
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdp211 View Post
    Apparently the Red versions (which I assume are functionally identical to Force) will clear a 34, but brake clearances are largely frame dependent.
    This frame was designed for mid-reach brakes, though, and here they are mounted with pad extenders. So I wouldn't trust that measurement on most bikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
    This frame was designed for mid-reach brakes, though, and here they are mounted with pad extenders. So I wouldn't trust that measurement on most bikes.
    Still, that's some pretty impressive clearance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're right about it being designed for mid-reach, but I'm pretty sure there're no extenders being used there. That said, brake bridge and fork design have as much to do with clearance as the brake itself. For reference, I had eeBrakes on a frame that would easily take a 28, but moved them to a different frame and couldn't even fit a 23. That's all to say, if you're getting a custom frame @nahtnoj, let your builder know the brakes you're planning to use and, ideally, send them to him/her before they start building to ensure you get the clearance you desire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdp211 View Post
    You're right about it being designed for mid-reach, but I'm pretty sure there're no extenders being used there. That said, brake bridge and fork design have as much to do with clearance as the brake itself. For reference, I had eeBrakes on a frame that would easily take a 28, but moved them to a different frame and couldn't even fit a 23. That's all to say, if you're getting a custom frame @nahtnoj, let your builder know the brakes you're planning to use and, ideally, send them to him/her before they start building to ensure you get the clearance you desire.
    I know its an older thread (I don't spend a lot of time over here), but that build used Bdop Offset pad holders. They are designed to allow a user to run a standard reach caliper on a mid-reach frame.

I have a set of the calipers on my Holland, and they are very nice; everything mentioned above is accurate. The levers provide excellent stopping power and modulation. If you can find a set, and are so inclined they are a fun addition to a bike. They basically feel like a 622mm disc brake.