User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Follow up to Age and your beginning story. What is the oldest bike in the fleet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Follow up to Age and your beginning story. What is the oldest bike in the fleet?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Walberg View Post
    What is that thing holding the chain down ?
    This is even before my time.

Like Choke said. Here is some info on the shifting system:

Super Champion Osgear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Follow up to Age and your beginning story. What is the oldest bike in the fleet?

It holds tension on the chain since the RD doesn't. The derailleur system is an Osgear Super Champion.[/QUOTE]

Fascinating. Shifting that rear must be interesting.
    I did have a bike with a cottered crank like that. My first "10 speed", an old entry level Gitane with steel rims and a Simplex nylon derailleur.
    It was my first race bike.
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Walberg View Post
    It holds tension on the chain since the RD doesn't. The derailleur system is an Osgear Super Champion.
    Fascinating. Shifting that rear must be interesting.
    [/QUOTE]

It's really not unlike shifting a '60's era Campagnolo RD except there's no friction holding the shift lever in place. Let up on the pedal pressure a bit while spinning, gently pull the lever out of the indent it is currently in, shift a bit past the next indent to 'throw' the chain onto the next gear then back off the lever until it falls into the indent that represents that gear.
    P1080140 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by northbend View Post
    Like Choke said. Here is some info on the shifting system:

Super Champion Osgear
    Thanks for this link. Fascinating.
    Look at the forks on those bikes. I bet the trail was near zero.
    I wonder how they rode.
    I find bike with very low trail to have a very vague feeling front end.
    I like riding with LOTS of trail.
    Mark Walberg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2005 Steelman Stage Race, Deda EOM 16.5 Maintubes and Deda Black Box carbon rear end. Brent and I went back and forth-I wanted a level TT, he wanted it slammed as in major sloping-so we settled on a "semi, semi", as he called it, sloping TT, it has 2 CM's of drop. Period correct Record 10 speed, save the brakes which are Mavic SSC's, rolls on original Fulcrum "One's". Thanks to a recent purchase here at the V, have a gorgeous looking 2015+ Super Record groupset coming, along with some C17 Zonda's to update it and get it back into regular circulation-Thanks Clean39T!
    Bikes rule!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Northbend's bike is fascinating. I love that shifting system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1963 Desiree, probably last year of them, imported bare frame and parts(Campy, Mafac, Magistroni and custom made rd lower cage) by Robert Alexander in Santa Barbara. He built up these bikes from the late 50's to early 60's so about 5-6yrs in existence, only sold in SB. This is nearly the exact same as a bike(size, color, components) I bought from him in 1961 when I was in high school, he marketed the Desiree as having "mountain gearing" with a 28t chainring, available in 10 and 15 "speeds". I long ago sold mine but this popped up on CL($160, I paid 135 for mine with money I made bike delivering papers) locally around 10yrs ago and I got lucky, cleaned, waxed, put new cable/housing/tape , new old seat on it, my son rides it occasionally but it's a garage queen 99% of the time. Robert Alexander was a guy ahead of his time especially compared to what bikes were being sold in the U.S. during that era, was a true beatnik that also sold bongo drums he imported from Brazil. As a side note this bike has clinchers, don't know if it came that way or wheels were rebuilt, but mine and all the others came with "sew-ups". I kid you not, I was a 15 yr old kid riding on silk tubulars, I didn't have a clue, if I flatted I took it to him to fix or buy a new one for $4-5!

custom mod to Campy Gran Sport rd, triple is 60/50/28, most, and mine, were 52/48/28(if I remember correctly.

If you know anyone that has one please let me know, they may be extinct.
    Take care of yourself in this time of crisis and realize sadness, anger and grief are part of the process Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a link to a much longer post and lots of pic I made on Bike Forums 7yrs ago if anyones interested in the history, specific parts, etc. of the bike and Robert Alexander. If you go there be sure to read #23 regarding the 60t chainring.

1960s Desiree - Bike Forums
    Take care of yourself in this time of crisis and realize sadness, anger and grief are part of the process Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No pictures but a 1978 Gios with full period Campy SR. It’s in the attic at my ex-wife’s house currently, as I don’t have enough room at my new house. Drilled Campy brake levers and Six speed Regina freewheel and all :-)
    One of these days I’ll reclaim it and have it re-painted back to its classic Gios blue ( painted to match team bikes on a team I was on back in early 80s).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a cool bike claritycycler! I'm surprised I missed the original post on bike forums. Interesting story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgot to point out the Desiree Campy fd cage is also modified to swing the 28, very visible in pic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Oldest Bike still in working order is a 1981 Schwinn Super LeTour I bought new in 1981. I started racing on that bike and won my first bike race on that bike, rode it 500+ miles to the coast of Maine and back twice. (1500 mile tours each in total, it never let me down) I haven't ridden it much as I got better bikes to ride and race with, but I can't part with it either because of all the great memories, including taking my HS girlfriend for rides, she sat on the seat while I stood. I repainted it a few time, and have always kept it in working order. No pics of it with me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnnymossville View Post
    My Oldest Bike still in working order is a 1981 Schwinn Super LeTour...
    Those were good bikes. I bought one for my dad, who rode it a lot, until he switched to a frame I built for him.
    I thought that they were better bikes than the entry level Gitane I bought for myself to start on.
    I t seems that Schwinn was really trying back in the 70s, responding to the bike boom then.
    Mark Walberg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post

Here you go...wearing a different headset, saddle and crank right now, but you get the drift.
    If I had a bike this beautiful, I would ride it around in the kitchen too. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

78 Davidson Signature. Purchased from the original owner; it was repainted by Davidson at some point in the 80's. All first gen/7200 Dura Ace; new wheels built on DA high flange hubs; chainrings replaced with a 48/39 combo. Bare frame rebuild and all bearings were surprisingly like new.

P8046869.jpg

Same age, other end of the country. 78 Richard Sachs, recent respray by Franklin Frames. Mostly 7400 six speed Dura Ace, but with a few twists: 7403 hubs laced to TB14 rims with a 6 speed HG cassette, and Shimano 6207 110 BCD crank arms that were stripped, polished and pantographed with the correct DA logo.

P6206842.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123