User Tag List

Thread: Follow the money...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Follow the money...

Nike is the troubling threat linked to a number of sporting scandals   | Daily Mail Online

In England, this one is beginning to look bigger than Lance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nike? No thanks.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Follow the money...

As much as I'd like to think Nike is the answer, I think that the suggestion that Nike is somehow culpable in a directed conspiratorial way to sell shoes is a screenplay plot, not reality. I think corporations like Nike know that it is much cheaper to be amoral. Buy low, sell high. Get athletes who have growth potential in terms of brand, create financially incentivized performance goals for them, then sit back and sell shoes. Nike may be putting huge carrots in front of their race horses, but that's quite a distance from systematic doping. Requires too much work, too much money and contains too much risk. Better to give the atheletes enough money so they can go out and do it themselves, hire coaches who will facilitate it, and construct performance testing that generates the raw materials to perfect it. Then when an athlete gets busted, stand by them, give them a microphone for a press conference and begin the resurrection campaign. Nike doesn't stand behind their athletes because they've invested so much money in them. Nike could dump any athlete and survive just fine. They do it because other athletes look at that support and think Nike gets it - that's where I want to be.

I'm more worried about Nike marketing $150 basketball shoes to kids who would be better off spending that money on almost anything with more of a future than a pair of shoes. Or saving it for the future. But that would mean convincing a lot of those kids there actually is a future.....
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The DAILY F***ING MAIL? No thanks.
    Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first sentance is all you need to read to know that the whole article is simply about trying to build hype.

"....home of the heavily guarded corporate headquarters of Nike"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it seems to me that corporate sponsorship is going to drive drug use. Maybe not intentionally, but it seems unlikely that you can take an also-ran and make them into a world beater without a very sophisticated drug program.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mg2ride View Post
    The first sentence is all you need to read to know that the whole article is simply about trying to build hype.

"....home of the heavily guarded corporate headquarters of Nike"
    Nike HQ in the good old days....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am sure Nike has more of their share of problems and questionable activities Considering the source, the Daily Fail seems to have a less than honest sort of journalism thing going on over there. If you want to find some real haters, Google I hate the Daily Mail.
    That is the problem reading the interweb things, you sort of have to check up on what you are reading or maybe you choose not too. Me and the Men In Black agents get most of our intergalactic knowledge from the little publications you can gaze upon at the grocery store checkout stands. There is where the real facts are presented.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But how was that in the FIFA reports? The sponsor (Adidas, Nike?) of the Brazilian team had a say in who would play (at least for a number of games). And was reported as demanding Ronaldo was playing the final of the WC despite not being healthy?
    Brazilian government even looked into these accusations. Thats crazy if true.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I'm more worried about Nike marketing $150 basketball shoes to kids who would be better off spending that money on almost anything with more of a future than a pair of shoes. Or saving it for the future. But that would mean convincing a lot of those kids there actually is a future.....
    I worked at Finish Line in high school. I've never gave a rats ass about shoes, but I wanted to make some money.

When Lebron's first shoe came out (I didn't even know who he was!) we sold out every pair except the tiniest baby sizes and largest men's sizes in 4 hours.

I had one young couple come in with a baby, and they bought some baby Jordans. They were $45 and were so small they didn't even have rubber soles yet. They put them on layaway.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO they left out a far more egregious Nike crime against the sporting world - the Oregon Ducks football uniforms.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I think it's worth noting that there have been a fair amount of NBA stars that have made it a point to keep the price of their signature shoes affordable. Shaq has kept the price of his shoes around or under $40 and you could buy them at Payless. Stephen Marbury's Starbury line was for sale at Steve and Barry's for $14.98. They weren't "cool" but they were perfectly functional. Kind of like Shimano 105.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nike wants their shoes/gear on athletes at the top of their game. The relationship is correlational, not causal. An athlete does well, Nike steps in and says, "here's a bag of cash and some shoes" which is much different than "here's a bag of cash, some shoes, and a P.E.D. program you need to use if you want another bag of cash and some more shoes." I'm still not sure where the controversy with Tiger Woods is. He liked women. Statistics suggest that up to 60% of all relationships involve infidelity on some level. I'm not condoning his behavior, but I'm not being critical of it either, the majority of us have been there.

Certainly the sponsorship money breeds corruption, but that's capitalism. The other option is strict communism; all athletes get paid the same, the prize/sponsorship money is split evenly, the glory of winning is the only prize. Some might argue that makes for better sport, others would suggest that makes for boring television.

I'd be happier if every cyclist got the same matte black Ultegra level aluminum bike custom fit to his requirements and sponsorship didn't play a roll. It's a better race if the athletes are competing, not the equipment.

I don't think Nike is the "troubling threat linked to a number of sporting scandals." I think human nature is.

And Tiger is chock full of human nature....

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OT here, but I'm more PO'd at Nike for the incredibly ugly tennis clothing they came up with for their sponsored women to wear at the French Open. Gagged me. Two of their athletes in the Women's Final - could not bring myself to watch. I'll take Ana Ivanovic in her little black dress any day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    OT here, but I'm more PO'd at Nike for the incredibly ugly tennis clothing they came up with for their sponsored women to wear at the French Open. Gagged me. Two of their athletes in the Women's Final - could not bring myself to watch. I'll take Ana Ivanovic in her little black dress any day.
    For the parents out there, it's important to remember to teach your girls that no matter what they accomplish later in life, they better do it while looking sexy.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    For the parents out there, it's important to remember to teach your girls that no matter what they accomplish later in life, they better do it while looking sexy.
    Yeah, you're absolutely right, of course. No comeback to that...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    ... and full circle, back to FIFA: BBC SPORT | Football | Women footballers blast Blatter .
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For sure, Nike's business model is dependent on exploitation, but not of its athletes.

Note: Nike controlled factories have, in fact, improved slightly. More troubling is the upstream materials suppliers, but as the Patagonia article recently in Outside eloquently explains, doing that better requires a level of vigilance and intent essentially incompatible with a publicly traded company. To that end, Nike is something of a symptom, not the disease.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
    I'm still not sure where the controversy with Tiger Woods is. He liked women. Statistics suggest that up to 60% of all relationships involve infidelity on some level. I'm not condoning his behavior, but I'm not being critical of it either, the majority of us have been there.
    I've always thought the reaction to Tiger Woods would not have been so hysterical if Barack Obama hadn't just been elected President, and that Woods became a surrogate lightning rod for white male psychosis about having a black man in charge. In the Great Big Book of White Male Psychosis on Race, Woods pretty much checked all the boxes on his own, but having Barack Obama in power was too much for some people to handle. They couldn't be racist, because that would make them bad people, so instead they went after Woods on moral grounds and that made them feel better. A relief valve of sorts.

That's my theory at least. I have a lot of them.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's better to to burn out, than to fade away...

So, is Tiger every going to win a major golf tournament again? Right now I'd that that doesn't look very likely.