elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Fnl #489

In the spirit of adding more context to FNL, here are some thoughts to accompany my contribution.

In 2017 I took the plunge to learn what a 'gravel bike' was and built and rode a 700c disc bike with 38mm wide tires. I really enjoyed it and my main event was a week of riding in the Catskills with a trip across NY state to the D2R2 160k ride. Loved it!

Some conclusions for myself...
    • Discs are awesome for steep seasonal roads with big rocks and coarse gravel.
    • I don't live where it's steep with bad gravel roads.
    • I don't want to learn how to bleed brakes & Ultegra Mech/Hydro levers are huge.
    • Loved nearly 1:1 low gears
    • Mostly, apart from riding on gravel the bike was overkill for the riding I actually do which is riding around on paved roads.
    • My bike tastes needed to better reflect my resources (money, time, riding)

The result of all that was a do over which resulted in the more appropriate 'to me' sportif you see...
    • Economical and eclectic Parts bin build for value, parts I can maintain, and overall K.I.S.S.
    • Much lighter and zippier with primo PegoRichie tubing
    • Mid reach in case I want to put 35's on and do another D2R2

Build Notes:
    • I extensively played with silver fillets - and tried one out on the TT/ST. Love it. Probably expensive but so easy to clean up. Opens the door to a stainless tube-set future ...
    • My second bike with the fastback-on-binder seat stays. Love the looks. Took me a while to fixture but found a simple and repeatable way for more of these.
    • This is the fanciest tubing I've used yet in the PegoRichie and frame weight was hovering around 1600g without any special attention to drop outs or BB or braze-ons. I look forward to making more bikes with this tube-set.

Just debating if I put on some Mafac canti's and Frenching it up a little more with fenders to match the cranks... anyway, a departure from the 'full steam ahead to discs' pattern.

FWIW.
    Tim To | Granville Bicycles | flickr | instagram | Smoked Out

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Fnl #489

Thanks for the extra detail, timto!