Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FMB Tubulars

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default FMB Tubulars

Been thinking about trying one of the FMB tubulars, does anyone have experience with the cotton vs silk casings? Silk sure do cost a pretty penny, is it worth the extra money?
    They would mount on a set of enve rims, mostly dry conditions, paved roads. I'm fairly certain tires are the only thing holding me back from complete and total domination of Saturday Morning Worlds.

Thanks,
    Dennis

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: FMB Tubulars

I have a pair of the 25mm Competition CX's with silk casing that I've been riding for a while. They are very nice, but honestly I can't say that they're worth the premium over my favorite tires—Veloflex Arenbergs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you've got the money and the inclination, I'd try them, just to satisfy your curiosity. Some time back, there was a large group order from here, and with the remainder I have from that, I have 10-12 FMBs still hanging, awaiting service. To be sure, they're supple and beautiful. Be sure to install them WITHOUT air pressure during your final cure, because you WILL roll them crooked if you inflate them.
    Michael Maddox
    Tallahassee, FL
    http://oldfartcycling.org/

Cycling isn't a sport. It's more like a really, really expensive eating disorder. (Mr. Tom, BikeForums 2008)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

silks aren't worth the extra coin imho
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would go cotton first. If you feel you need something even better after that then try silk then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silks are *REALLY* supple, but they rae definitely best reserved for special event wheels where you can ensure that it will be dry. Silk loses a huge percentage of its strength in the wet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely go with the cotton casing. The increased durability outweighs the marginal improvement in ride quality. Honestly, I am not super impressed with the FMB's. My Roubaix treads are basically slick (which is weird to me) and though the workmanship is good I think I'll go back to Vittoria SC's when the time comes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the riding and road conditions you describe, I'd definitely choose the silks. I've had really good luck riding the silk versions on really shitty surfaces, but I'm good at looking after them following any ride.

If you spent that much on wheels, you deserve to feel the suppleness of silk. At least you'll have no excuses if you don't bring home the win.

Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oopfoo View Post
    Be sure to install them WITHOUT air pressure during your final cure, because you WILL roll them crooked if you inflate them.
    First time I've heard this. Could you explain a bit more, please? Thx!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great tire, loosing lots of air! not nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those cx are perhaps the nicest riding tubular i have ever had. That said, the treads fall the f#*{k off and require re-sticking.....still worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Those cx are perhaps the nicest riding tubular i have ever had. That said, the treads fall the f#*{k off and require re-sticking.....still worth it.
    and the say "soie naturelle" on the sidewall—what's not to like? Maybe I've just been lucky, but the tread on mine have been fine (as well as on my Paris-Roubaix).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm riding three pairs of FMB tubulars currently.

The main difference I find from riding these compared to the likes of Vittoria CG pave in 24mm, Vittoria CX in 23mm and Vittoria SC in 23mm is that I can use an even lower tyre pressure in the FMB's and feel more comfort without copping any perceived rolling restistance losses. The Vittoria tubulars are just as fast in my opinion but just lack the extra armchair factor that the FMB's offer me.

I have 24mm CX Comps in cotton on a pair of madfibre wheels. These are intended to be a performance tyre for me and they do not fail to deliver in that respect.

I also run a pair of 25mm Paris Roubaix cotton case tubulars on some hand built Lambda rims with Record hubs on a heavy Casati Monza frame. This is intended as a slow ride country road day touring bicycle. The cotton case PR's in 25mm ae my favourite FMB. They roll beautifully at ridiculously low pressures and offer the smoothest ride I've experienced on rough chip seal rural roads.

I also run a pair of silk casing CX Comp in 25mm width on Mavic Reflex rims on a Colnago Master - a bike used as a 'recovery bike' after harder training. My experience is that the silks need to be run at a slightly higher pressure compared to the cotton casings for the same rolling feel, esp. to eliminate percieved resitance. The silk FMB CX Comp behave in a very simialr way to my Vittoria CG pave in 24mm width.

I don't think the silk casings are worth the extra $$ for regular road riding but I will continue to purchase FMB cotton casing tubulars into the future as they offer the best comfort levels for me without being sluggish under the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To add to the above, the PR's do indeed lose their tread pattern rapidly, however, they continue to grip with assurity with a treadless / slick surface. The PR's have a lower side wall and a very rounded, wide tread section - uber grippy tire, esp. when leaned over properly. The CX comps have a taller wall and a squarer tread section profile and steer faster than the PR's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tt, do not read below this line!

really good tubulars ride fantastic.

they are not worth the trouble.
    they are really never all that round, they wear unevenly and they from time to time suffer from mystery flats.. where you cant even figure out the damned thing loses air.

that said.. saab still has a funeral every time he kills a veloflex...
    brief service with beers afterward to " celebrate its life.."

touching really.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    that said.. saab still has a funeral every time he kills a veloflex...
    brief service with beers afterward to " celebrate its life.."

touching really.
    "This Arenberg lived a good life. It was short, but filled with adventure and excitement. He was a loyal tubular, clinging to the rim through the worst of times. Even as he slowly deflated, he fulfilled his duty. We will never know what caused this Arenberg to wither and flat, so we celebrate his life and the blissful 17 miles he gave us."

- Saab

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    "This Arenberg lived a good life. It was short, but filled with adventure and excitement. He was a loyal tubular, clinging to the rim through the worst of times. Even as he slowly deflated, he fulfilled his duty. We will never know what caused this Arenberg to wither and flat, so we celebrate his life and the blissful 17 miles he gave us."

- Saab
    i remember that service. was very touching.

you forgot the and "i only paid $98 plus tax and 2 hrs labor gluing you on"...part.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FMB's are great tires. I don't think that they are quite as nice as Veloflex, which don't seem to suffer from the occasional basetape or tread separation that the FMB' seem to from time to time. Of course, Veloflex makes a pretty limited range of tires, so if you need something wider, a cross tire, a track tire, etc., FMB is a great choice. For me, it is a SECOND choice.

-"I don't have the patience to deal with the hassles of clinchers..."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be hard pressed to say that either of the 25mm silk Competition CX's or the Arenbergs ride appreciably better than the other. The clincher (no pun intended) for me in preferring the Veloflexes is that they are lower maintenance—it's an added hassle to make sure that the sidewalls of the FMB's are properly sealed. For someone who fully embraces the rituals of tubulars, the FMB's are hard to beat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
    FMB's are great tires. I don't think that they are quite as nice as Veloflex, which don't seem to suffer from the occasional basetape or tread separation that the FMB' seem to from time to time. Of course, Veloflex makes a pretty limited range of tires, so if you need something wider, a cross tire, a track tire, etc., FMB is a great choice. For me, it is a SECOND choice.

-"I don't have the patience to deal with the hassles of clinchers..."
    Not the case for me as reported here many times. Veloflex thread separation in at least 50% of them. None for FMBs in my case (used less of them though).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast