Thread: FMB Tubulars

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: FMB Tubulars

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    I'm currently riding the Paris Roubaix 27c on HED Stinger 3s on my C64. They measure 29mm.

I haven't ridden Veloflex on this bike so I can't do a direct comparison, but - based on past experience - I'd say they're at least as good. I'll need to replace these soon-ish, and Veloflex are the likely candidate.

No QC issues with this set either. My last FMBs had the tread coming away from the carcass, but this pair have been absolutely fine.

One thing I do prefer about Veloflex is that the tan sidewall stays pretty much the same colour for the life of the tyre. The FMBs started light, but have darkened over time.
    Thank you for the helpful reply. Seems they are worth trying. 27s measuring to 29 is good to know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iím likely done using tubulars as modern clinchers give me all the ride quality benefits of good tubulars and less uncertainty on rides.

That said, when I used them I tried FMB. Loved the ride. Didnít love the natural latex sidewalls that dry rotted well before the tires were worn out. Also, the tread would separate from the body of tire.

If I go back it will be to my true love: Veloflex.

Veloflex > FMB
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I’m likely done using tubulars as modern clinchers give me all the ride quality benefits of good tubulars and less uncertainty on rides.
    It's weird how this plays out for different people - even those, like yourself, who are experienced tubular users.

I feel way more certainty on tubs than clinchers, personally. The only thing I prefer about clinchers is the ability to change tyres easily.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    It's weird how this plays out for different people - even those, like yourself, who are experienced tubular users.

I feel way more certainty on tubs than clinchers, personally. The only thing I prefer about clinchers is the ability to change tyres easily.
    I have nothing against them. But my Campagnolo Nucleons were ancient and in many cases very high-use/high-mileage wheels. I started to break a spoke here and there. I was beginning to flirt with Shimano for more than just a bike or two and tried some modern rims with a legit wider internal width - 20mm. I was sold on the ride quality benefits. To me, the ride difference was imperceptible between this and a good tubular and Iíve got tens of thousands of kilometers on high quality tubulars so itís not like I donít have a baseline experience. Plus, a clincher is never out of round when inflated. Even the best tubulars are occasionally imperfect.

I freely admit that narrow clinchers arenít worth it. Wider ones are. If we hadnít evolved to wider clinchers Iíd still be on tubulars.

So I started to move to the mainstream with my tire choices and to this day I am not second guessing that decision.

I could go back tomorrow if technology were stagnant. But itís not so Iím trying to move forward with some of it even though my frame choices are 15 years old. That will change eventually when the industry figures out how to deliver bikes again in a reasonable timeframe. Like less than 18 months or more. Meanwhile, my old stuff soldiers on. I digress.

But please carry on with tubulars. Theyíre still absolutely relevant for many riders and thereís nothing wrong with them. But for me the gap now is so small between good clinchers and tubulars that I wasnít ready to buy new wheels to support this. And new wheels were what I would have needed to replace the epically good Nucleons.

Maybe Shimano 105 is to blame. Itís so good and so full of value that my wheel decisions migrated at a time of fiscal leanness. But Iím on 20mm internal rims now and 25mm or 28 mm clinchers at 75/80 or 65/70 PSI respectively and am not looking in the rear view mirror.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The FMB tubs are really hard to justify as a regular road rider since they are eye wateringly expensive and pretty fragile. They are really meant to be stored in an italian wine cellar until ready; and pushed into fast hard service and retired early. That use case is not what most recreational riders typical profile fits into. they sure do ride well though.

Conversely, veloflex tubs can still be had at a huge bargain compared to the FMBs at the usual suspect UK vendors and they probably ride 95% as well; while being friendlier to live with on a daily basis for the rec rider, so they are my usual go-to. Man, vittoria are good now too with their corsa tubular lineup. very nice tires for the $$.

if money were no object, i rode the same bike most days of the week and i had a personal valet to service my bike, FMB all day, every day. Otherwise veloflex are my choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    The FMB tubs are really hard to justify as a regular road rider since they are eye wateringly expensive and pretty fragile. They are really meant to be stored in an italian wine cellar until ready; and pushed into fast hard service and retired early. That use case is not what most recreational riders typical profile fits into. they sure do ride well though.
    Actually my current set are doing a pretty good job of being less fragile than many other tyres I have run previously - Vittoria, most notably. My latest FMBs are probably approaching 1500km in with no signs of fragility at all.

I'm surprised, to be honest - it was a stupid, whimsical purchase for what are essentially 'daily driver' tyres, but life's too short to run shit tyres too; but I'm not at all disappointed. Of course if they shit the bed on me tomorrow I'll be pissed, but here's hoping that's not the case...

Next up will be Veloflex, almost without question, though (and I only say 'almost' because they're tricky to get here already, so I'll probably have to order from Merlin).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Veloflex quality is always nice. I mean I never had a bad batch. It is hard to match in term of $$/ride quality/reliability.

Man, vittoria are good now too with their corsa tubular lineup. very nice tires for the $$.
    I would have said the same 2 weeks ago, my corsa set was riding nicely. But then a corsa tubular failed on me at the valve core seam...Same old issue I have always had with Vittoria. They always fail at the valve and you end up throwing tubular with little mileage and no puncture just because that is the least repairable issue. How come they have been struggling with this for more than 20y and are still in the business of tubulars?

I understand Saab2000. On 22-23mm the difference between clinchers and tubulars in term of feeling was clear. On 25 and 28mm not that much. I am mostly riding tubulars because I have 3 tubular wheelsets, their dtswiss hubs are serviceable and can evolve with whichever freehub standard in the market and since they are disc brake wheels they won't wear and will probably get past my life expectancy. This and I like the idea to have a tire staying on the rim if I flat while descending a mountain.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 5 Days Ago at 03:58 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 2000m2 View Post
    Thank you for the helpful reply. Seems they are worth trying. 27s measuring to 29 is good to know.
    I think they are worth trying if only to satisfy your curiosity so you can stop wondering. I did and decided Veloflex are my preferred tubs although I wish that they would offer 30s or even 32s.

Vittoria Corso Graphene thingies can be nice, but I found that the 30s are much more robust than the 25s. They're nice, but I think Veloflex are noticeably superior in ride quality, looks and durability.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I would have said the same 2 weeks ago, my corsa set was riding nicely. But then a corsa tubular failed on me at the valve core seam...Same old issue I have always had with Vittoria. They always fail at the valve and you end up throwing tubular with little mileage and no puncture just because that is the least repairable issue. How come they have been struggling with this for more than 20y and are still in the business of tubulars?
    Yep, I had 3 of those amongst the Corsa graphene thingies I tried.

I also found that the 25s punctured regularly, which kinda made the whole graphene story a big joke. A former colleague and I were chewing the fat right around the time mine were puncturing frequently, and he was telling me about some company developing body armour using graphene. I admit that it didn't really give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The last Vittoria tubulars I had were made in Italy, some Corsa Seta's which I still have barely used on a pair of GEL330/Hope hub wheels. When they moved to Asia I never went back, I then moved to Continental for years and now I'm on Veloflex for my clinchers and some tubulars. I still have some Conti's (Sprinter) in tubulars as they're durable so they're sort of training tubulars for me.

Those Vittoria Rally's though are the crappiest tubulars you can buy I'm sure.
    Riding has to be fun, and part of the fun has to be that youíre not worried about having too much technology on your bike. - Tom Ritchey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    I think they are worth trying if only to satisfy your curiosity so you can stop wondering. I did and decided Veloflex are my preferred tubs although I wish that they would offer 30s or even 32s.
    I plan to order a pair. Partly trying to determine the width and which version to order.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread made me buy three more Veloflex Arenbergs to add to the aging stash; they ain't making them anymore, and figured I might as well buy while I could!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123