Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Bike Bag

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fishing Bike Bag

I was just thinking of looking for a Tenkara rod for chasing a few brown trout in the local waters. As seen originally on Radavist:

Swift Industries Tenkara Rod Elwha Pack
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Fishing Bike Bag

Why not step up to a real 4 wt rig? If you ever actually hook a hog brown on a tenkara you are going to quickly ask yourself what happened?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was a kid, I made a setup to carry fishing rods - it was a piece of 1x2" wood to which I stapled denim cloth to make a pouch for the handle. I added a spring and hook apparatus modeled after what I'd seen on panniers so it could attach to my bike rack, with the rods upright. Had two or three different ones, each custom for my rods.

Plus used a rectangular plastic trash can on the other side as a bucket. In summers I'd ride over 40 miles round trip sometimes (on a five-speed Schwinn that was a tank) to a beach where I'd catch bonito. Plus rode it to fish closer by sometimes.

Sometimes I also carried a gaff - I think I used bungees to attach it to the top tube.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When we rented a house near the beach each winter, I attached a piece of PVC tube to my bike's rear rack by hose clamps and used that to carry my surf rod to the ocean. The first year I did it I think I caught two bluefish. Then every year afterwards, I caught maybe one here or there, but the population changed and I was no longer alone and everyone else seemed happiest when they were 50' from me. A long expanse of beach with no one on it, except me and some person who walked all the way over to stop and watch me fish. Go away.

Anyway, it was fun while it lasted.

If I hook a brown big enough to destroy a Tenkara, I will feel a sense of accomplishment. Actually catching a fish is the least mesmerizing part of fishing. I have what I would call a brush rod about 7.5' for 4 weight line, but I'd just like an excuse to flail from a bridge for a little while in the middle of a ride.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That reel looks like a heartbreak waiting to happen... What happens when a non-fisherman designs a piece of fishing tackle. I like swift's bags, but leave it there. Take a ride up to Orvis to get a flyrod...
    Guy Washburn

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    That reel looks like a heartbreak waiting to happen... What happens when a non-fisherman designs a piece of fishing tackle. I like swift's bags, but leave it there. Take a ride up to Orvis to get a flyrod...
    Tenkara rods don't have a reel. You're looking at the line spool. That's just used for storing the line or the tippet material. It is a static line system based on a Japanese style of fly fishing.

Last edited by j44ke; 06-06-2018 at 09:13 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Tenkara rods don't have a reel. You're looking at the line spool. That's just used for storing the line or the tippet material. It is a static line system based on a Japanese style of fly fishing.

Which I'm sure works fine in Japan. In New England the streams are not a nicely manicured as Japan so unless you can keep only a minimal amount of flyline in play you will have constant tangles...
    Guy Washburn

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which I'm sure works fine in Japan. In New England the streams are not a nicely manicured as Japan so unless you can keep only a minimal amount of flyline in play you will have constant tangles...
    My trout fishing has been mostly on my knees in tiny east coast streams. I think I can manage a Tenkara. Just shorten the line a bit if need be.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tenkara doesn;t use a line, it relies on 2 things.
    1. your individual stealth and approach on the stream, most fly fishers try to cast way to far to any given fish, its funny. this is especially true among american fly fisherman who insist a 5wt is the appropriate tool for 16inch trout, haha.
    2. its a long rod that can fight shockingly large fish on light tippets. again, if you are slow moving, you may lose the fight.

its a very simplified approach, kinda like a 1x offroad setup. sure 2x gives you an extra set of gears, but it also gives you something more to go wrong or fiddle with. tenkara is the same.

I have played with Tenkara in the past, and for small waters they are a better tool than standard fly rods. trying to cast even 20ft with a 4wt on a small stream is way overkill, and completely unnecessary.

And the myth that big fish can;t be landed on small tackle is exactly that, a myth. yoru tippet is your min limiting factor. if you have 5x tippet on a 0wt or a 5 wt, you still have the same break chances on a big fish, only my 0wt has a light enough tip to protct the tippet more. i have landed 6lb browns in new zealand on my 0wt sage. Tenkara would have been a similar tool for the job.

all this being said, i target large fish on large water. i carry waders, boots, a rod, and tackle.
    [IMG]Fishing rig by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]

its about 12 miles and 800ft climbing to my favorite fishing spot for biking to. come august, its game on again, and i wont even have to wear waders for a while.
    catching a wild steelhead after riding my bike to the spot is one of my greatest accomplishments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll defer then... Have fun!

I lost interest in tiny stream trout many years ago. I was fly fishing for striped bass in the salt before moving over an hour away from the shore... A 36" bass on a 6wt is my best light tackle experience. Hard to cast a big enough fly to interest them in a breeze with anything smaller...
    Guy Washburn

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm confused.
    That rod breaks down and fits in that handle bar bag? Maybe I dreamt it but didn't someone make a frame whose top tube doubled as a rod case?
    Jeff Hazeltine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by classtimesailer View Post
    I'm confused.
    That rod breaks down and fits in that handle bar bag? Maybe I dreamt it but didn't someone make a frame whose top tube doubled as a rod case?
    Doesn't break down, it retracts and extends. The bag has loops underneath for holding it. Did Bilenky make a fishing bike? Or Hermes? Can't keep those two sorted.

Here's a nice one. Or two.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can anyone identify this rod? Sweet setup 2 years ago in Big Sky

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That looks like a Tenkara of some sort. There are plenty of makers of them now. The end has a cap that you remove, and then the rod tip comes out. You grab it and extend the rod like an old radio antenna.This one appears to have some sort of line minder on it also. Pretty simple tools.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Half frame bag? Pending rod and frame size...
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Blog post -- I don't think the heavy stuff...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll add a +1 for this collab. Tenkara for me actually has it's best purpose in mountain streams and small rivers. There's a number of native cutthroat outside SLC that have beautiful, vibrant colors that are a lot of fun to catch on a Tenkara rod. The responsiveness of Tenkara is fun to imitate emerger patterns and makes focus not so much on the cast, but on the presentation. What's cool about this setup is how compact and lightweight the gear is. Throw it on, ride up a mountain, hop off, fish, drink beer, repeat. Kudos to Swift and Tenkara Rod Co.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me be the first own this rod and reply to this thread. It's well built and does great in small streams. I like the quality of Swift stuff too. That said, I feel the best approach for rod mounting is to strap it to top tube or down tube rather than to handlebar bag. I say this as I see the handlebar bag mount leaving it to get caught on brush when riding overgrown singletrack. YMMV.

My advise would be to buy either a purpose-built fishing hip pack or a bike-focused one (I like the newest Dakine ones that hold a waterbottle), and save your money for the new packable waders from Patagonia to have a better chance at getting fish in more types of water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I toured all over the world with an Eagle Claw rod in an aluminum tube strapped to my rear rack

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/eagl...eries-pack-rod

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was a 16 year old schoolboy (50 years ago) I used to ride to the river every day in the summer holidays with my 8 ft, 2 piece fly rod tied to the horizontal top tube of my Raleigh 3 speed. I caught lots of fish and never damaged the rod. I have tried Tenkara fishing, which is not very different from what Isaac Walton described in the Compleat Angler in England in 1653 or what I did with a single length of bamboo before I could afford a proper rod and reel. I have caught fish readily with my modern Tenkara rod but I just can not get excited about it. Maybe it is because, for me, fishing is about so much else apart from catching fish. I still love spending a day casting a line with a traditional English/American fly rod in the environments which they were designed for. Payne 97 and Hardy reel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i can hear that,
    above in my bag is a 13'6" 2 hand rod with a 1933 Hardy St Johns 3 screw reel. full experience