Thread: The First Shoe Just Dropped

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The First Shoe Just Dropped

Quote Originally Posted by echelon_john View Post
    This just in. If true, I suspect it indicates the USADA is pretty damn sure they have damning evidence.

Armstrong attorney: Lance gets 30-day extension on whether to pursue arbitration with USADA - The Washington Post
    Overconfidence has led to many poor outcomes. When you have an advantage, you press it and kill the opponent.
    Advantage now goes to Armstrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt this has anything to do with overconfidence or pressure from Lance's PR. It seems clear from everything up until now that the USADA does not underestimate Armstrong, nor do they intend to give up any advantage. I expect we will see the USADA with a well reasoned response backed up by substantial evedince moving to have Armstrong's complaint dismissed by the court. Following on Judge Sparks devastating ruling regarding Armstrongs first filing the USADA will destroy the foundation of LA's protestations about process in court before sanctioning him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    Just once, i'd like to read in a mainstream news story, right beside where they repeat that
    Lance "has never failed a drug test" that there is no test for autologous blood transfusions
    of which he is being accused.

-g
    The USADA complaint is packed with EPO allegations, as well. It's an impressive collection of allegations, not just transfusions. So the "never failed a drug test" defense carries some traction, at least in the mainstream media.

I am on record as saying I don't believe this does any significant damage to Lance the Brand. Watch "Pink Ribbon Inc" if you want a taste of how hard it is to pierce the veil of the cancer industry. Big deal, they strip him of some titles and a few bike nerds rejoice but most anyone without a V-Salon level of interest will always think he won, anyways.

In the end, all the legal manuevering is entertaining but doesn't trump the one argument that a few of you are making - "by joining their club you agree to play by their rules." Every Club I have ever joined (Country, Swingers, Columbia Record and Tape, etc) all have rules. Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHemlock View Post

In the end, all the legal manuevering is entertaining but doesn't trump the one argument that a few of you are making - "by joining their club you agree to play by their rules." Every Club I have ever joined (Country, Swingers, Columbia Record and Tape, etc) all have rules. Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    huh huh huh

he said "swingers."

that's pretty cool
    Robert Kendrick

my small corner of the poetry world:

http://robertleekendrick.net

recent book

https://irisbooks.com/product/what-o...th-brilliance/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the whole "never failed a test" think like a murder case with no body?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The USADA complaint is packed with EPO allegations, as well. It's an impressive collection of allegations, not just transfusions. So the "never failed a drug test" defense carries some traction, at least in the mainstream media.

I am on record as saying I don't believe this does any significant damage to Lance the Brand. Watch "Pink Ribbon Inc" if you want a taste of how hard it is to pierce the veil of the cancer industry. Big deal, they strip him of some titles and a few bike nerds rejoice but most anyone without a V-Salon level of interest will always think he won, anyways.

What chu' talking trash about Susan Komen??? Gasp. No kidding ;) "Race for the Cure" marches on just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 'never failed a test' just feeds the myth that the tests are the only way to catch dopers.

At this point, you could have a live CNN broadcast of Lance injecting EPO on television,
    and apologists would still be claiming he's never failed a drug test.

Lest we also forget, there was no EPO test in place until after 2001. My main point repeated:
    you can't fail a test you don't take.

-g

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe. But over one funding decision Kormen took a big hit in both participation and fundraising. Lance's problem involves more then just a mis-step in a funding budget. If he gets banned and loses his Tour titles I expect a feeding frenzy in both the tabloid press and the regular press (which is barely distinguishable from the tabloid press these days). This is the perfect story for the media piranha and people who never heard of the USADA and knew nothing about the USADA sanctions will get to know Armstrong in sensational vivid gory detail and the story won't be about his work with cancer patients (unless they can dig up something unseemly about that). The sanctions will be the beginning, not the end of Brand Armstrong's problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by henry g. View Post
    Maybe. But over one funding decision Kormen took a big hit in both participation and fundraising. Lance's problem involves more then just a mis-step in a funding budget. If he gets banned and loses his Tour titles I expect a feeding frenzy in both the tabloid press and the regular press (which is barely distinguishable from the tabloid press these days). This is the perfect story for the media piranha and people who never heard of the USADA and knew nothing about the USADA sanctions will get to know Armstrong in sensational vivid gory detail and the story won't be about his work with cancer patients (unless they can dig up something unseemly about that). The sanctions will be the beginning, not the end of Brand Armstrong's problems.
    Wishing won't make it so. The only people with an attention span for this stuff longer than 15 minutes are you and me and our brethren who run these threads to 14 pages chasing our tails and trying to vindicate personal viewpoints. The "tabloid and mainstream" press will move on to something else the split-second Lindsay Lohan gets another DUI or Jessica Simpson makes a Starbucks run with her gut hanging out. If they ever get here, at all.

I'm not saying it's right but we are in the middle of some of the biggest transfer of wealth in the history of the US and the only people paying attention are about 3 journalists nobody reads. Apathy rules the day, some uniball from Texas who took shots to win bike races and then lied about it for years isn't going to capture the public. Unless they prove he used cancer donations to buy EPO and I'm pretty sure the Federal prosecutor went WAY down that path and found zilch. Even then, the Kardashians will drop another baby and you will never hear about it again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you to my mates over at Cylismas:

the legend of the 500
    "make the break"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wishing won't make it so. The only people with an attention span for this stuff longer than 15 minutes are you and me and our brethren who run these threads to 14 pages chasing our tails and trying to vindicate personal viewpoints. The "tabloid and mainstream" press will move on to something else the split-second Lindsay Lohan gets another DUI or Jessica Simpson makes a Starbucks run with her gut hanging out. If they ever get here, at all.
    But this is pure tabloid stuff. Doping, celebrity girlfriends, international money laundering, the story behind going from cancer jesus and 7 time world champ to outcast and fraud and liar. This makes the Kardashians and Lindsey Lohan look positively boring. Lance became one of the best known athletes in a country that has zero interest in the sport he competes in because the story behind the brand was so compelling. That sword cuts both ways. The press loves train wrecks and the bigger the train and the bigger the crash the better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by henry g. View Post
    The press loves train wrecks and the bigger the train and the bigger the crash the better.
    agreed, but i think the mainstream press won't really start on this story until something actually happens.
    The allegations aren't really 'news' if you know what i mean. Many of the stories have taken the 'here we go again'
    approach, like there really isn't a story here, or it's irrelevant because he's retired.

-g

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apathy rules the day, some uniball from Texas who took shots to win bike races and then lied about it for years isn't going to capture the public.
    Maybe not, but a story about a 7-time winner of the TdF being stripped of all his victories might well do.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by palincss View Post
    Maybe not, but a story about a 7-time winner of the TdF being stripped of all his victories might well do.
    Now that's entertainment atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    Now that's entertainment atmo.
    It would make me a little bit sad. Not my-hero-turns-out-to-be-a-fraud sad, but sad nonetheless.

Mom: He was very sickly until he started riding around on that bicycle.

Dad: Yeah... well... now his body's fine, but his mind is gone.

-Breaking Away

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
    It would make me a little bit sad. Not my-hero-turns-out-to-be-a-fraud sad, but sad nonetheless.
    Agreed. Men need to feel more and think less atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree
    you're not the lord of the flies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, wrong thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not putting words in your mouth, but to me, sad for the race, the history and integrity of the race, and the promise of what the race can be. The race is bigger than any one rider.
    Jason E

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Human Epic Jolt View Post
    Sorry, wrong thread.
    trending
    "make the break"