User Tag List

Thread: Favorite Mutt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Favorite Mutt

Twas a bit chilly riding in this morning without a winter cap under my helmet.

What's your favorite mutt (i.e. cycling cap with ear flaps) these days?

If nobody stops me, I'll probably just get the Rapha one since I know it will be passable without being great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Favorite Mutt

I Rapha's Peaked Merino Cap. It works well for most of the winter. Tightly knit merino with a wind-proof forehead. Fits nicely under my helmet. And now they have a colorful one for the Festive 500 (already?) I don't think it is as warm as the merino cap. More of a redo of their CX hat I think.

When it gets colder, I wear their Pro Winter Cap. I don't see it on their website though. It used to have a frontal lobotomy issue with the bill cutting into your forehead, but they've fixed that and the hat is sort of a wind stopper fleece lined arrangement. Very warm. Maybe when it comes back, it will be even better.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an ancient Moots one from Vermarc that is the best Iíve found for fitting under a helmet. But I also have the Sachs/House one from a few years back that is cozier and made of a less synthetic-feeling material (and looks way more stylish off the bike.)

Almost time to dig them out for the season...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Turtle Fur Frost is one of my most prized possessions. The cut stays down over your ears, allows your neck to scrunch up in back, and doesnít push down over your eyes. The regular (also available in windproof, but I have not tried) weight is great for most rides, not too heavy, not wind-transparent. And if it gets too warm you can fold the earflaps up and it still fits under the helmet.

Frost Liner Skull Cap | Turtle Fur(R)
    THIS IS A GREAT PIECE OF GEAR!
    Tee Aitch

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got this cheap Biemme windstopper one for like $20 when I happened to be overseas for another reason and it worked great to 25 degrees or so but this year I decided I needed two for some reason while I was adding some warm arm warmers to the gear and bought the Castelli gore tex hat. I like it. Very thin, so far at 30 degrees it keeps my head from ever feeling even coolness for two, two and a half hours. $50 bucks. Will post update on its performance if I get out for a long ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMG_20191020_092315498.jpg

This is Eiger. He's a very good boy. He likes the Pearl Izumi Barrier but all the other suggestions made in this thread are likely equally good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

20190614_185931_resized.jpg

Penny, she likes chasing squirrels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stove Pipe Windproof Winter Cycling Cap | 45NRTH

Sorry, but for those of us from the frozen tundra (or what we hope all the others believe...) there's only one brand I've found - 45nrth. They're local to the upper Midwest and they're not trying to make 'cold weather' gear for the folks who are hardened by temps that dip into the teens (Celsius) or fifties (Fahrenheit). Their products are designed for actual cold weather like Minnesota, Wisconsin and upstate New York. Take a peak.

I wear an earlier generation of this hat under a one-size-too-large helmet and it's the best winter headgear I've ever had. Mine is mostly wool and I really like it. This one is probably better but I'd get a helmet a size larger than you normally wear to make sure it fits right.

Check out their 45nrth website.

La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firstly, winter here is not a proper winter. I'm pretty sure water freezes at about 6 degrees C in Sydney.

I got one of these this year Mid to Heavyweight Wool Winter Cap – Snēk Cycling

and it really, really made life much more pleasant when it was chilly. Thin, same size helmet. Instead of something to keep the sweat out my eyes i wore something to keep my ears toasty. It was nice.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
    20190614_185931_resized.jpg

Penny, she likes chasing squirrels
    Then she would probably like wearing this hat while cycling.

A photo of Saab after a recent ride to the grocery for more Scratch Mix.

Last edited by j44ke; 10-25-2019 at 11:47 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course this thread should be at least half dog pictures.

Thanks for the recs. My big thing is finding the right brim: one that doesn't lay flat on my forehead, but also isn't so rigid it digs into my forehead. I'm really liking the look of the Snek, which I hadn't heard of before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, All,

Isn't a "mutt" an obligate-brim object?

If not, then the world is your oyster, and I personally like the Wigwam balaclava (cheap, washable, breathes well, wind-resistant without getting clammy in still air; fold it up to form a cuffed hat if it is not utterly bloody cold; I've had three in the last thirty-five years never wore one out, only lost them). Cuffed, it is just thin enough to fit under my typical helmet size.

If so, I liked the Vermarc one that an earlier poster suggested, but they don't wash happily (brim distortion in warm water) and I don't think they're easy to get 'hold of in the USA.

45Nrth produces a number of good-to-excellent cold-weather cycling headwear options both the stovepipe (non-brimmed) hat SAAB pointed out and the Greazy which is an actual Merino Mutt. The ear flap is jussst big enough to flap over my lobes, though I prefer a bit more volume in the top (see the Zanconato vermarc-spec Mutt from BITD). Wash in cold water or be prepared to give to somebody with a smaller head. 45Nrth is a QBP captive brand, so available from the usual suspects.

Best Regards,

Will
    William M. deRosset
    Fort Collins, CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I do have a wool 45NRTH beanie/mutt. While the fabric is very nice, it's just simply too small and rides up off my earlobes while riding. It's never seen the washing machine, nevermind a dryer. And I have a wee melon (size medium helmets).
    Tee Aitch

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mutt is my copilot.

An engineered mutt, but still officially a mutt.
    Tee Aitch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Okay, my DOS prompt skills are rusty, and I cannot seem to effectively navigate their website.

Anyone know if this cap comes in plain black? I'm not finding it, but I'm also not sure that means anything.