User Tag List

Thread: Fat bike as beach cruiser

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fat bike as beach cruiser

Is anyone using their fat bike for a beach cruiser? I am looking for some feedback.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Fat bike as beach cruiser

I personally do not have a fat bike. But I live near the beach and know plenty of people with fat bikes and I have ridden MTBs on the beach.
    I am sure that the type of sand make a big difference - where I am the sand it pretty hard packed. Riding a regular MTB on it is not an issue.

But... the thing to keep in mind is that salt water is very corrosive to things like chains and cogs.

The last ride I did on the beach (MTB):
    The tide had gone out a few hours before.
    The sand was still a bit wet.
    It was a bit foggy.
    Rode for 40 minutes.
    I hosed the bike off when I got home. No soap, just sprayed it down.
    The next day the chain and rear cogs were trash. Basically a rope of rust. Luckily it was not a new set-up.

I don't see many people riding fat bikes on the beach around my area.

YMMV depending on sand conditions. I am sure dry soft sand would be a different experience from several perspectives.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use old chains and cassettes on the beach. Wash with fresh water and spray some W 40 on it.
    Now on a gravel bike I use Schwalbe beach race tires in 52 mm. What a bliss on gravel and road mounted tubeless!
    The must be great on the beach too.
    MTB is much faster on the beach than fat bikes unless you want to slog the dry sand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you say beach cruiser I think pavement and boardwalk not sand correct? That is a very popular option at Bethany, Dewey, Rehoboth De. A set of smoothies and you are in business.

Personally, I have a Fat Bike from DeSalvo that was made for sand riding and it is AWESOME. I let the pressure down to about 10 psi and go nuts. The riding is all done in the surfzone where the sand is wet or recently wet and is pretty useless in deep sand unless you are heading downhill from the dunes.

Helps?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As said above, don't bring your good stuff to the beach. I made that expensive mistake...even with immediate wash down the fine sand is a killer not to mention just the salt air at night after you washed the bike.

But, as Toots said, it is a blast on the hard pack down by the surf...just don't expect drivetrain, hubs, brakes to last.

I think the reason that you don't see a lot of fatbikes on the beach is that it is more work than the average consumer thinks it would be but I don't think anyone here would be shocked by making wheels turn on sand versus on a MUT to be polite about it.
    Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the record. Agree to expect ALOT of degradation after dosing the bike with salt and sand. That said, I've been using that bike for about 6 years nearly exclusively for beach riding. I spray the snot out of everything with Boeshield eg brake pivots, lever pivots, 5mm bolts basically everything prior to use. Afterwards the bike gets hosed down with plain water. I'm running NixFrixShun on the chain and it is origional. Just sayin' Don't expect much, keep everything greasy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'round Chicago parts beaches are on fresh water. Still, for those open to single speed or IGH, belt drive would seem a practical way to cut down on corrosion worries.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recently went to Wrightsville Beach NC and monster bikes are very popular. Stopped by a local Specialized shop and the monster bikes are their biggest seller.......including electric assist versions.

The owner of this shop organizes a 40-50 mile beach ride timed with low tide. Island hopping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Resurrecting this thread...

I brought my snow bike to the beach where it will live for the summer.

I previously said don’t bring the good stuff.

I hate when I don’t listen when I talk to myself.

Here is the problem...I need a Hints from Héloïse kitchen solution...

I got NFS because I always do and it is sooooo necessary on drivetrain especially in sand and salt air.

But, the thing that has always gotten messed up and is messed up after two nights and two rides is the brake caliper pistons not retracting properly to the point where the rear locks up completely.

I have no tools here except for an old rusted set of Allen wrenches (the other stuff is on the list to bring next time I am here).

So here is the totally dumb question.

I have been applying the brakes and then while holding them on pouring iso alcohol on the caliper/disc and hoping that it clears up the gunk that seems to be preventing proper operation.

Anybody have any suggestions for something else that could be done with normal tools one would have in a house and normal stuff that might be under the kitchen sink that will get me by until I have the stuff here to properly deal with this?
    Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do the CX racers do in Koksijde? I'm asking because I don't know.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I would simplify my setup, remove the disc brakes and convert to fixed gear. It's not like you need to brake in the sand and you must probably stay in the same gear forever no?

Well if you need to ride from home to the beach a rear drum or retroped should be enough.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 05-27-2019 at 01:01 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remove the rear caliper. Again, fresh water and oil are your friend. A little maintenance go's a long way. I've got juice 7 calipers (20 y/o?) that have been to the beach numerous times.
    edit ; you don't brake much on the beach anyway.