User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Evolution of the gravel bike.... (for Saab)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Evolution of the gravel bike.... (for Saab)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post

You say you wanted evolution? How my trusty Poprad started to where it is today...someday I will take the build back to its rough and tumble roots...maybe even find a disc fork and experience how the other half lives.
    Nice wheels!
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep that Propad and even some of the Specialized "out of the big box" makes got the message early.

OK ok ok now that we have all whipped it out and proven our old school chops let's get real.

Disk brakes are amazing and like DCT said make riding aggressively offroad safer and (wait for it) more fun. I raced IronCross 3 times, twice on a rim brake bike and once on a mechanical disk bike. NO COMPARISON when riding the really fast long downhills that required alot of rock dodging. The first two time my hands were wasted and last time, on the Zank, total one finger braking joy. NO COMPARISON.

If you order a big box gravel bike or a custom I think you'd be insane or criminally negligent...ok that's going to far...getting rim brakes *if* your intention is to have every advantage and go have a blast.

Yeah yeah yeah I get it, some folks are wicked happy reproducing the gravel capable (see what I did there) bikes of yore and that is fine. Dewd and Dewdetts, I like to go dangerously fast. Disk brakes for me.

DCT, BOYD and JBAGS can make the case for tires because those cats were way ahead of the curve. At Ballers we were still on fat tubulars and those dorks were running Panaracers tubeless which were SURELY slower and likely to assplode and any second ;)

next

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Yeah yeah yeah I get it, some folks are wicked happy reproducing the gravel capable (see what I did there) bikes of yore and that is fine. Dewd and Dewdetts, I like to go dangerously fast. Disk brakes for me.
    next
    In the Catskills, I think hydro discs would have been nice.

In flat places like Minnesota, I struggle to see the need for dics. Did someone say Serotta Gravel Special?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Nice wheels!
    Send all of your old tubbies my way Jim...I love these wheels and your gear is always maintained with awesome sauce.
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My gravel bike evolution is traced by Detoo Artoos. Prior to that it was whatever bike I raced, and usually with tubular tires so I wouldn't pinch flat. And then in 2005 this guy named Sandy came up with this nutty 180-km hell ride, and I rode it way over-geared and under-tired on a decade-old Merlin.

Rode it once on this bike, but without the mini-fenders and lights. I walked a couple hills. Flatted on Hawks Rd. Decided I needed lower gears and bigger tires.

Before Compass, this is how we made 700x32 slicks.

Rode the next two times on a Salsa La Cruz, 853 by Waterford. I used a compact double up front (Suntour XC Pro, beeyotches), 46/32 rings and a 12-28 cassette. Strange bike because it looked like somebody welded an MTB rear end to a standard-diameter road front end. Wound-Up cross fork. Felt like the front half lost all torsional rigidity when you really pushed it around on fast descents. Ain't nobody got time for that.

And then four editions aboard the titanium Kish, a custom dirt-road day tourer made for somebody else.

Not a cross bike (although I also raced cross on it). This had a very low bottom bracket. So it fit big and was unflappable on high-speed descents. Discovered mini-vees, which stop as well as discs until you dent a rim. Or melt off a tubular (ask me how I know that).

The Rock Lobster was my whip for seven more Detoo Artoos. I know it was a CX race bike because I had to drill holes for the water bottle cages.

Tires went from shaved Michelin Jets to Schwalbe Marathons (oink), to Panaracer Gravelkings (aaah), to Compass 35's and 38's (wahoo). Flatted a few times anyway, and dented a few rims. Rediscovered triple cranks. Rode with the Veesalon posse. Scrubbed from the 180 for the first time when my heart flaked out. Rode it in the rain for the first time ever. But without fenders (duh). And if you notice, it took about 10 years to get a gravel bike to fit just like the Merlin.

And along came Zank, just in time for 2019. It has all the best parts and is pretty to boot. Handles like a road bike. Did I mention that it's pretty?

If I'm to continue the series (1..2..4..7..) I need to rack up like dozen more on this bike? And maybe get a 4th chainring.
    Last edited by thollandpe; 02-26-2020 at 07:01 PM.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Todd cat is human powered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a Softride Contour many years ago.
    It was a terrible "mountain bike", but geez it was fantastic on dirt roads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started with a Lemond Poprad bought from a former industry dude at a bike swap. Moved to a parts-bin robins-egg blue Surly Cross-Check. Moved those parts to a Gunnar Crosshairs. All essentially lateral moves (although ditching the Poprad for the Cross-Check was not smart).

Then I got a custom Rock Lobster with hydro disc, built for all-road, super low BB with roadie angles. It was amazing but I got the itch again and replaced it with a 650b Seven Evergreen S. Now I'm doing things like trying to paint my fork and trimming down my seatpost to improve on what is essentially perfection in the genre. Any more rough-road capability and I'll need a carbon 29er.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is all you need:

My first foray into gravel was DeeToo on a Co-Motion touring bike with 700x28s. I think I even had fenders on it for the first run. All I remember from that was my hands and lower arms being numb from all the vibration and wondering if my tires and rims would be destroyed. Of course they weren't but I envied people who thought to do the route on mountain bikes with fat tires. My next trip back I had my Seven with slightly bigger tires and it was more pleasant. I haven't been back in 650b mode. Maybe it will be this year.

The evolution has been most significant in the domains of wheels/tires and braking capabilities. I can't imagine riding on skinny tires. I'm slow to begin with, and would much prefer a plush ride. And I really like to stop, particularly on wet surfaces and disc brakes have been manna from heaven in that regard. And, in my experience, they are less fiddly than rim brakes. Oh, electronic and wireless shifting ain't bad either!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    My gravel bike evolution is traced by Detoo Artoos.
    Ditto. Built this up for the 2009 D2R2:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123