Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Everesting?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Everesting?

Everesting. You guys heard of this? The goal is to climb 8848 meters in a single ride; the equivalent of summiting everest.

My coworker/ couch surfer/ better half, Jimmy, is attempting it right now. With no preparation, he's decided to give it a shot. On a whim, basically. He's climbing the Alpine loop of River Road 75 times. He's been out all day. Lights and food and some cokes were dropped off this afternoon.

I'm torn on this. this is an incredible challenge, and for sure a test of his fitness. It's also some Fred shit. By the time he gets home, he'll have been on his bike 16-ish hours, and ridden about 180 miles. 75/150 (up/up and down) of those miles are repeats of a 1-mile segment. He'll spent all that time in the saddle and not gone for a bike ride.

I wish him well. I wish him success. I can only imagine how painfully- and painfully monotonous- this can be. But I'm of the opinion that this is fitness, not sport. He's on a bike, but not cycling.

What say the Salon?
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Everesting?

Count me out.. All for the concept of climbing that much on a ride, just hate the thought of that repetition. Actually I loathe it. I can't do anything 75 times in a row, dreadfully similar to factory work which my short attention span will not allow.
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's a lot of climbing, and going around in circles to do it doesn't seem that inviting. I have a 200km route that I was going to try to get to 5k meters of climbing, but it was just a little too ridiculous for me. The normal route is less than 3k meters of climbing, and that's pretty tough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We all have some arbitrary goals that seem completely sane in our own heads. We're not here for all that long, anyway, but if your friend makes it to those golden years he will have a cool story to tell the grand kids or his fellow seniors. Hope he reaches it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The basic premise doesn't sound all that absurd but this particular attempt at it sounds tedious. I bet there are areas in the states where you could do this without going up and down the same damn road all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make it a ride and it sounds fun . Short loops with a hill? Exercise, or perhaps the night segment of a 24 time trial.

http://www.rmccrides.com/brevetperm-wmd-evans-map.jpg

Fort Collins to Mt. Evans and back puts you over/near 8,000m depending on route choice details, and will be as scenic a day on the bike as you'll find easily.

Best,

Will
    William M. deRosset
    Fort Collins, CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nierman, no doubt I hope he reaches that goal. Hell, I am pretty much for any idea that seems bad. If I was there, might even ride a few laps. I just think if I was p, "everesting" I would have to do it somewhere besides a mile loop.

Nah, I am all for this cat, just for me would have to do it differently.
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't tell him yet, but I don't think that the Everest-touristing ophthalmologists actually summit Everest from sea-level.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sounds awfully boring, but its an efficient way to reach the goal.

It doesn't seem like an enjoyable bike ride is the point.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, no way would I if I even could. But I think of all the folks who set out for Guinness records doing monotonous activity and can't help but think there's a bit of canned genius that it takes to be that crazy. It's what makes people fascinating. The fact that he's attempting it in this repetitive fashion will only make the story more crazy when he tells it in the senior home one day, and sometimes it's good to keep others under the impression you're a bit off, because then they tend to mind their own business. Works with my neighbors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He should have spent the day making potato salad.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    Everesting. You guys heard of this? The goal is to climb 8848 meters in a single ride; the equivalent of summiting everest.
    The idea came about when George Mallory Jnr, grandson of the George Mallory who disappeared into the mists on Mt Everest, was himself training to climb Mt Everest in the 90s. He used a local climb here in Melbourne and ultimately successfully climbed Mt Everest. You can read about it here.

Mt Everest in a Day | CyclingTips

The idea was then co-opted by Hells 50 - a local crew here in Melbourne who organise at least one fairly insanely hard ride featuring lots of climbing per year - earlier in 2014 and hence a couple of months ago a number of people around Victoria attempted to ride their very own Mt Everest. The idea has since spread. Climbing that much in one day is a hell of an achievement, but all the rules and so forth that go with it seem a bit silly (can't do it on a climb where it has been done before, no loops) considering the idea was copied from someone who was training for a bona fide life and death experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry that should have been Hells 500.

My views on Everesting aside, they have organised some interesting rides. Here's an example:

Guest post: Three Long Five High (a Hells 500 epic) | The Climbing Cyclist

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see this as boring. I see it as a change to his normal routine. Good for him for thinking it up and giving it a go. Hope he has a safe and successful day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I posted about this challenge to a couple of my teammates and one of them is going to make a go at it next weekend. It's a challenging goal for sure, but I don't think I could it. He's targeting a climb that requires 14 repeats and I found that even just doing two back to back yesterday was less than pleasant from both the physical and mental standpoint.

Will be there to do a lap or two with him and bring him food, but that's about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm an on-call technician and when on-call I can't stray too far from home in case I get a service call.

While on-call and training for D2R2 one year, I rode a loop roughly 2 miles away from my apartment. 4 minutes up/3 minutes down.

I did this for 4 hours. Maybe not "Everesting" distance but the same idea.

Shoot, cyclists will race 100k criteriums and not be bored, so what's the difference doing it solo? It's good for purging the mind...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read about this a while ago and have spent some time looking for the right hill. A fine line of being steep enough and long enough to get it done in the least amount of time, yet not so steep that I can't do it enough times

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish Jimmy all the best, Chase.
    Being the sort of person who can't even swim ten pool laps without getting bored, I struggle to comprehend why he didn't take a train up to some properly nice hills and climb those instead.

I used to live in Silver Lake, Los Angeles - one day each Spring, the LA Wheelmen would show up en masse just across the freeway from my house to do their annual Fargo Street Hillclimb challenge.
    Fargo Street has a 33% incline, making it the second steepest paved street in the US. There are a few vids on YT of people 'conquering' it.
    As you can see from this year's results, endurance is favoured over speed. However, watching guys in past years snake their way up there fifty times at ~3mph whilst trying not to fall off their bike sideways did nothing for me.
    What did impress me was when a guy rocked up on an old Somec road bike and straight-lined the whole damn thing, hard and fast. He didn't repeat the feat, but then he didn't need to.

I completed Rapha Rising 2013 whilst living in LA, but it was (relatively) easy and very appealing - multiple 1000+ft climbs were minutes away in Griffith Park and after a short ride through Glendale I could be heading for Mount Wilson & Tujunga Canyon.
    Now I live in NYC, I'd only contemplate it if I were upstate for the week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our biggest 'hill' in Singapore is 80m and someone just did this. I am pretty pleased because my buddies and I were planning on giving it a go in August, but now we don't have to...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everesting proper would include stationing Sherpas every mile to give you a running push up the hill.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast