Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: etap leap - full groupset or ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default etap leap - full groupset or ?

Arthritis in my right thumb has me on the verge of departing Campagnolo for Sram e-tap. It seems like most of the hits that Sram still takes are to its brakes, as compared to Shimano, Campy etc., and its crankset/bb. Comments here and there indicate that etap actually works better with Shimano and Campy cranks.

If you're riding etap or have indirect but first hand knowledge I'd love to hear thoughts on these two component categories.

Grazie!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: etap leap - full groupset or ?

Greg,

I rode about 90 miles or so on my eTap bike yesterday. Since day one I've had no problems.
    Obviously Di2 is faster, but I'd rather use eTap over any other group set.

You'll love it.
    D

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like SRAM has been working on the brake side too

Review: SRAM Red eTap HRD | VeloNews.com
    Guy Washburn

Post Thanks / Like

I've found the Red Aerolink brakes that come with the full eTap group to be very good. They're a little more difficult to set up than the older brakes or those from some of the other brands, but once set up they do a fine job of stopping. I'd just go with the full eTap group unless you want to mix and match to save some money with parts you already have on hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Gents. Very helpful to get reviews from folks that I know ride their bikes a lot!

Certainly makes life easier to go with groupsets intended to work together rather than finicky compatibility issues. I do have parts I could move over but I'll just sell them off.

Post Thanks / Like

Red aero (mechanical) brakes work just fine, plenty of feel and modulation. As said already they are tad fussy with setup, the main thing I found is that they sometimes wander off centre after a while and need to be tweaked around a touch with an open ended spanner. But no biggie and they come with swisstop pads and look nice too. I use GXP as my standard, but tend not to use the cheap Sram GXP bb, instead I use Chris King threaded road BB with the stepped adapter for GXP. AVT bikes are the go to guys for these. Worth the extra expense in my view to the extent where I'd step down to Force calipers and spend the difference on the BB if I had to.
    IF Crown Jewel / Shand Stooshie / IF Club Racer Disc / Ritchey Steel Break-Away / Colnago Master X Light

Post Thanks / Like

The high end shops around here (including Above Category) like eTAP with Campagnolo cranks, chain and cassette

Post Thanks / Like

I'd track down a set of the older dual pivot sram calipers (in black).

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a newer etap group, and the brakes are fine. I ride mostly Campy super record 11, I like the brakes of the new etap better. I also put some ultegra 11 brakes on a Pegoretti as they provided the greatest tire clearance, and I actually think they are better than either the Sram or Campy brakes. That said, go with my first statement, the etap brakes are very good and you will not be disappointed, or lack stopping power.

Post Thanks / Like

Why no consideration of EPS?

Far less effort to shift, especially with the thumbshift.

Post Thanks / Like

Not completely ruled out but for the Peg its not a great option unless I want to take a drill to the frame.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Costello View Post
    Comments here and there indicate that etap actually works better with Shimano and Campy cranks.
    Care to point me towards said comments? I looked into this not too long ago and the consensus was that eTap performed much better with the SRAM 22 cranks.

[edit: oh wait, I was asking about eTap with Shimano 10-sp chainrings/cranks, so perhaps that's why the SRAM 22 cranks were preferred.]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    Why no consideration of EPS?

Far less effort to shift, especially with the thumbshift.
    And you can setup V3 EPS to do all the shifting with one hand - one paddle to shift up, one paddle to shift down, mode button to shift the front.

Post Thanks / Like

I loved eTap and would gladly go back to it (and, after spending some time on R9150 Di2 and Record EPS, I probably need to go back to it to remind myself how it really compares rather than relying on memories); but I'm finding myself getting more and more drawn to EPS.

The main draw for me with eTap was the ease of moving it around bikes, but now that I'm more settled than normal I don't mind the wires; and the Campag stuff is just so damn classy - plus the levers feel slightly nicer (in my opinion).

I have to decide what groupset to buy for myself when the Record EPS goes back - at the moment it'll either be EPS, Campag mechanical or eTap; and that's despite the fact that the new Dura-Ace stuff probably looks best on my bike (in the past that probably would have made the decision for me).

If you pull the trigger I doubt you'll be disappointed. The full group would look better on a Peg, but there's no real performance benefit in my experience so you could easily use other cranks and brakes if you can't go all-in straight away.

Post Thanks / Like

EPS feels nicer. eTap works better, and the shift action is a bit more logical. And it's a helluva lot more reliable for more than a few reasons. I'd scratch the EPS thought, especially given you'd need to drop holes in a perfectly good peg.

FWIW - eTap plays quite nicely with Campy cassettes and chains. I haven't experimented with the Campy crankset, though I've seen a lot of setups with it. However, it does play nicely with Shimano rings.

So far, my cleanest eTap experiences have been with Force cassettes and Red22 cranks, but Record works nicely too. Ultegra is solid, but Dura-Ace is noisy and shifts are not always the best. Red cassettes shift slowly, but I think that's a pretty well-established fact.
    NK / AC

Post Thanks / Like

Any reports of the WiFli version and cassettes over 32 teeth? I'd like to do 36. Is it just a twist of the B-screw?
    Guy Washburn

Post Thanks / Like

I think you end up preferring whatever brake you're on. I've tried them all and I just like the Aerolink brake. It's got modulation and slows me down. I think Shimano and Campy have more initial bite, but there's no proof I have to qualify that, and I'm sure you could maybe get around that with toe, etc.

Cranks? They are all 99.9%.

All that said, EPS shifters are in a league of their own.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DCT View Post
    Greg,

, but I'd rather use eTap over any other group set.

You'll love it.
    D
    Darren, Why is that?

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tested one of Sram hydro rim brakes ?

Saw them in catalog and online shops listing only, never in the wild or LBS floor. I've never seen them specced as OEM either. I wonder how small the market is for such things.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    Any reports of the WiFli version and cassettes over 32 teeth? I'd like to do 36. Is it just a twist of the B-screw?
    I have one bike with short cage rear mech, and one with the WiFli medium cage. I run 26t cassette on the short cage and 32t on the WiFli. Sorry I can't comment on running 36t yet, but both are working very nicely for me as is, and I prefer not to stretch a rear mech to its ultimate capacity. But to answer your original question, it would just be a quick adjustment of the B screw to open out the gap when you fit a larger cassette. On a separate note I have found that the expensive/light Sram red cassette isn't quite as smooth running as the far less expensive/slightly weightier Force cassette PG1170.
    IF Crown Jewel / Shand Stooshie / IF Club Racer Disc / Ritchey Steel Break-Away / Colnago Master X Light