User Tag List

Thread: Endurance/All Road suggestions

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Endurance/All Road suggestions

OK, yeah I know, really open ended but here goes, there are a few specific needs. My son, 31 yrs old living outside of Santa Cruz, CA, wants to get a cf "Endurance" bike with a more relaxed geo than a true road bike although it will primarily be used on the road, needs to have discs, room for 32s(35max is ok), BSA threaded bb, subcompact crankset, mech shifting fine but not limited to, doesn't want to wait for a custom build. He has a couple of cf mtb, downhill and xc, road/raced bmx a lot as a kid, overall a very competent rider. Current road bike is a vintage Colnago and wants to go modern, can pay what he needs to. I've searched around and have suggestions for him, will appreciate any input from members here, ideally from those riding what they suggest.

thanks, Brian
    Take care of yourself in this time of crisis and realize sadness, anger and grief are part of the process Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Endurance/All Road suggestions

A gating question here may be what the driver is for the "endurance" classification. In the earlier days of endurance bikes, most were designed with very tall headtubes and very short top tubes (Specialized Roubaix, Trek Domane, Giant Defy, etc.). There's nothing wrong with that fit if that is what is required but if he is in good shape and wants to ride in a more performance-oriented way, I'd suggest looking for something that can fit 32-35mm tires while still allowing a more aggressive riding position that will have better balance and handling and rider aerodynamics. My top pick would be an Allied Alfa Allroad - it is fast enough to enjoy group rides and yet can be comfortably ridden long distances over rough roads, and can handle some moderate graveling. If he was open to titanium or steel, there may be a few more options with threaded BBs too.
    Dan in Oregon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as he lives there, I would suggest he check out the Santa Cruz Stigmata. Works well as an endurance road or gravel bike, and they're a MTB-focused company so they should be approachable for him.

If he wants something a little more road-oriented, Trek Domane, Focus Paralane, or Canyon Endurace are good options.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prototoast View Post

If he wants something a little more road-oriented, Trek Domane, Focus Paralane, or Canyon Endurace are good options.
    I would add Specialized Roubaix to this list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lauf deserves a look.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe a Gunnar Sport or Fastlane?
    My name is David Moeny

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he lives in Santa Cruz I would look up a really bad assed builder named Paul Sadoff that makes Rock Lobsters right in town there. He could build you a very custom rig for about the same money you could spend on a big bike store bike. Another guy who makes his living building 32mm tire bikes is our own Steve Hampsten and his Strada Bianca. Building gravel bikes since gravel bikes existed. There are a bunch of folks on this forum that would build him a really nice frame. The Ti builders might be guys to look at. Ti bikes don't get rock chips in the paint from gravel riding. A little WD 40 wipe and the bike looks new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    If he lives in Santa Cruz I would look up a really bad assed builder named Paul Sadoff that makes Rock Lobsters right in town there. He could build you a very custom rig for about the same money you could spend on a big bike store bike. Another guy who makes his living building 32mm tire bikes is our own Steve Hampsten and his Strada Bianca. Building gravel bikes since gravel bikes existed. There are a bunch of folks on this forum that would build him a really nice frame. The Ti builders might be guys to look at. Ti bikes don't get rock chips in the paint from gravel riding. A little WD 40 wipe and the bike looks new.
    Yeah!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the BMC Roadmachine is one of the better riding endurance bikes I have tried. The quality is very good and the builds are nicely thought out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All endurance disc braked road bikes currently meet the requirements. If he is not a wrencher in his case I would choose based on store proximities and aesthetics as I don't think big brands make bad bikes nowadays. The only question mark is quality of fabrication but based on what I've seen on Luescher Teknik youtube channel there is no manufacturer that seems to be any better than the others.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 08-14-2020 at 08:39 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
    As long as he lives there, I would suggest he check out the Santa Cruz Stigmata. Works well as an endurance road or gravel bike, and they're a MTB-focused company so they should be approachable for him.

Stigmata in "endurance" configuration is pretty awesome, but the other suggestions are good too. First determine stack/reach, then pick the frame that gets you there without too much faff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    Yup. Paul built me an disc-brake Aluminum "monstercross" that I use for cyclocross racing (well not this year...) and gravel because it can easily swallow a 700 x 40-ish mm tires (I currently run it tubeless with 700 x 38 Rene Herse tires for summer GROAD riding). Built with 1x mechanical Ultegra-based drivetrain, it's low-cost, everything works and it fits and handles perfectly.

It's not carbon, but material choice is the last thing you should worry about these days. Plus it's Sea Foam green. Can't beat that. You son should at least consider Paul since he's local to him, and just a nice guy. Nothing against Santa Cruz, Trek or Specialized but you're asking on VS so why bother with a mass market option?
    My real name is Hemanth and among other things, I like bikes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wisco View Post

...you're asking on VS so why bother with a mass market option?
    Paul's wait list is six months, he just doesn't want to wait that long, he's leaning towards a Canyon Endurace WMN CF SL Disc 8.0 Di2, they have his size ready to ship. We also talked about press fit bb vs threaded, he feels OK with a press fit as his cf mtbs are and no issues.
    Take care of yourself in this time of crisis and realize sadness, anger and grief are part of the process Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roubaix or Domane. Check the geometry charts. Think Trek is more relaxed a bit and Spec has moved closer to road geo for the Roubaix. Domane now with T47 bb and hopefully done right for 2020. Just cuz the headtube is a bit taller, you stem slammers can probably still do that and get as low as need be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by claritycycler View Post
    Paul's wait list is six months, he just doesn't want to wait that long, he's leaning towards a Canyon Endurace WMN CF SL Disc 8.0 Di2, they have his size ready to ship. We also talked about press fit bb vs threaded, he feels OK with a press fit as his cf mtbs are and no issues.
    Do it. No reason not to. Supposedly good bikes; and probably better value and better spec'd for the equivalent money than one of the 'big name' brands.

I nearly bought one of the 'WMN' versions myself recently because they used to do them in an awesome purple colour; and the WMN geometry is slightly more upright in the CF range.