Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The Economic Benefits of Bicycling

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Economic Benefits of Bicycling

I saw this on Upworthy. Sorry if it's 205.

One Thing Lance Armstrong Got Right

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Economic Benefits of Bicycling

My bike habit/addiction/obsession is routinely in the red...though I'm happily doing my part and then some to stimulate the economy through cycling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The money I don't spend on a monthly subway pass goes to bike parts and food--and I like it that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We bought and renovated our house because it was on a rail trail that stretches 14 miles one way and connects to other trails for maybe 35-40 miles in the other direction. I'm evidence that infrastructure spending can attract investment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another benefit: keep your dollars local where you can see them and you can be reasonably sure they won't be used to ruin people in Nigeria's (or the Gulf of Mexico, etc.) lives.
    Study: 66 Percent of Your Fill-Up Goes Into Oil Company Coffers | Autopia | Wired.com

And since I've used such strong words, here are ways to learn about Nigeria's bummer:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=shel...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    We bought and renovated our house because it was on a rail trail that stretches 14 miles one way and connects to other trails for maybe 35-40 miles in the other direction. I'm evidence that infrastructure spending can attract investment.
    Here's what I'm wondering: do your bikeways back up to where you want to go - work, shopping, food, liquor?

A lot of newer developments play the recreational trail angle up but I'm always wondering where they go.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's what I'm wondering: do your bikeways back up to where you want to go - work, shopping, food, liquor?

A lot of newer developments play the recreational trail angle up but I'm always wondering where they go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jitahs View Post

The trail goes from my back door to the front door of my old office, and just a couple of miles from my new office. I bike commute sporadically. I don't "train" on our trail. I'd like to knock every idiot who thinks a mixed use trail is a place to do intervals into the ditch. My kids and wife use the trail as well as other kids and wives. It's not a race course. I do use the trail to get to some of the places I do train. My town has not yet fully developed around our trail, partly because the old rail line went through housing areas, but there has been a major revitalization in west Orlando around the west orange trail. The town of Winter Garden was about to blow away 20 years ago. The trail built through the middle has turned a dying agricultural center into a place sought out by families. A largely vacant commercial area now has good resturants, a renovated theatre, pastry shops, clothing stores, bike shops etc.
    The Pic below

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if suburbia/countryside is where cycling will flourish. From reading this and this animosity is increasing against urban cycling

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The trail goes from my back door to the front door of my old office, and just a couple of miles from my new office. I bike commute sporadically. I don't "train" on our trail. I'd like to knock every idiot who thinks a mixed use trail is a place to do intervals into the ditch. My kids and wife use the trail as well as other kids and wives. It's not a race course. I do use the trail to get to some of the places I do train. My town has not yet fully developed around our trail, partly because the old rail line went through housing areas, but there has been a major revitalization in west Orlando around the west orange trail. The town of Winter Garden was about to blow away 20 years ago. The trail built through the middle has turned a dying agricultural center into a place sought out by families. A largely vacant commercial area now has good resturants, a renovated theatre, pastry shops, clothing stores, bike shops etc.
    The Pic below
    That looks like a great family destination, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by metanoize View Post
    I wonder if suburbia/countryside is where cycling will flourish. From reading this and this animosity is increasing against urban cycling
    Ed Lee, SF mayor, has a lot of taxpayer money and constituencies he is beholden to. Fact is the new-to-the-city tech/young/whatever guys and gals don't have a sense of permanence yet. So they don't vote but kvetch. OG city-ites have the connections and use them in an extremely effective way. I've seen it - scary in it's ruthlessness.

MTC is on board with SFBC's mission now; problem is the kids aren't putting enough pressure on by being active participants in the democratic process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overblown in NYC. As I saw someone write recently. What happens when the first fatality happens in a place where there used to be a bike lane? Shitstorm.

And even before that, the first place they try to get rid of one will be the first place I many others will show up and get all reverse-NIMBY about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of people in the DC area have bought near the W&OD trail just because it's there. Same thing. There's no doubt in my mind that that trail spurs economic development.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Lots of people in the DC area have bought near the W&OD trail just because it's there. Same thing. There's no doubt in my mind that that trail spurs economic development.
    I wrote my senator(Nelson) last year wrt to bike lanes and trails when transportation funding was being debated as part of the broader highway bill. In his letter back to me he said he supported what I did and referenced energy indepence, child obesity, and health care costs/medicare for the retired as reasons that trails and lanes are investments in our society. Like frame weight, I generally think a lighter govt is a better govt, but Senator Nelson gets it and I rather live on a bike trail than a golf course. It's not just property values that go up. It's access to an improved lifestyle and improved health.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Milquetoast mild rant...
    According to the info graphic 2/3 SF merchants believe cycling is helpful to their bottom line. I'll bet the other one third don't have even a parking meter in front to lock against.
    SFBC lobbied hard for years to put Valencia on a road diet and add other general infra improvements. So what happened: lights timed for a 12mph roll, expanded sidewalks, 17 new restaurants in the last year or so. Who came? Tech; the kids want to ride their bikes to work. Who got squeezed out? Lots of people. Our side of the Bay benefits greatly from it.

So much of the general population denies this it's laughable; too much two-wheeled hatred will do that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today, the City of Lake Mary, where my old office was, announced that Verizon was building a finance and accounting center. Verizon's reasons were access to employees with Finance and Accounting degrees and the infrastructure making Lake Mary a great place to live. The Seminole-Wekiva Trail will cross the front of the Verizon property. When businesses or commercial land lords here start offering shower facilities bike commuting take off.