Thread: Easy tubeless repair?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Easy tubeless repair?

Has anyone tried using this to repair a tubeless flat on or off-road?

Dynaplug® | Products

Judging from the video it looks too easy!

-Hansen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Easy tubeless repair?

I was about to say don't store that in your jersey pocket, then I saw the bicycle version.

In my experience flats that are not automagically repaired by sealant are usually torn sidewalls. These things looks like they could be helpful but only for a tiny fraction of punctures.
    --
    T h o m a s

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I was about to say don't store that in your jersey pocket, then I saw the bicycle version.

In my experience flats that are not automagically repaired by sealant are usually torn sidewalls. These things looks like they could be helpful but only for a tiny fraction of punctures.
    I agree... though I have experience with low pressures of MTB and CX tubeless only. Since the mid 2000's, I think I've only flatted through the tread once on my MTB where this might have fixed it. I've flatted several times on both due to sidewall punctures, rips, etc and I'm of the opinion that theres not much you can do to rectify those when you're out on the road or in the woods. Still, it woudnt hurt to have something like this in your repair kit if you have the space for it. Anything to avoid putting a tube in there would be worthwhile in my opinion.

Edit: Holy Hell, it's $60 for the bicycle kit. And I'm now wondering where you'll get hollow point plugs once they stop making this thing. They sell plug kits at the auto part store that are a lot bigger and not as refined, but i bet you could whittle those tools down to be pretty small and still function for a bicycle application.
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like

It'll get you home, but patching tubeless doesn't last. The tire isn't structurally sound once ripped.
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like

Question, is the tire really shot after applying a plug-type patch? Last night, I had my first large, sealant spewing, non-self-sealing flat on my ride home. The flat was through the tread. Dynaplug worked great (need to be quicker on the draw) and got me home, however I'm now wondering if the tire (fairly new Hutchinson Sector) should be replaced relatively soon. I checked and I've lost a little air over night but nothing too alarming.

Post Thanks / Like

I used it at mile 20(ish) of the DK200 in 2016 on a pretty ugly sidewall cut. Held the remainder of the ride no problem. Have carried it on all gravel rides since. It flat out works.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrad2181 View Post
    It flat out works.
    I see what you did there.
    My name is Hung | Instagram | Website/portfolio

Post Thanks / Like

Last week I was on the first day of a 5-day gravel expedition in California (there's a Reno2Cino thread on here somewhere). I got a flat in the rear that was seald with a single small Dynaplug. I then got a 1/4 inch slash in the front that took 1 large and 2 small plugs together to fix. Rode the next 350 miles over some very rough terrain on those tires with no air loss (or further flats). I'm thinking the plugs will stay in there for the life of the tires, but that's what I got for now . . ..
    Andy Cohen

Post Thanks / Like

It is awesome at least the racer which was what I bought. I brought it on the ride that dogrange was on and to be honest by the end we were kinda hoping for flats because it makes fixing flats the crazy easy. I have a plug in my front tire with over 500 miles. Also it plugs sidewalls nicely.
    Last edited by joosttx; 09-13-2017 at 11:33 AM.
    ***Instagram***
    my name is Houston