Thread: Dynamo Hubs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dynamo Hubs

Quote Originally Posted by Colinmclelland View Post
    For light, I think Kerry from Klite in Australia makes awesome stuff ( facebook klite.com.au). He likes to tinker and has a 3d printer, so any bizarre request you have he can usually come through with. My commuting light is an 800lm 3LED light in a tiny Ali housing. I have no idea what lumens means, but I've never seen a more useable been in my travels. He also offers all sorts of USB charging devices if you feel the need to charge a phone or Garmin on a multi day trip.
    I got one a couple years ago for a friend, he's making the best dynamo lights for MTB use

way better than Supernova and more than competitive with Exposure

But they're only good for commuting if there's already streetlights illuminating the roads and there's no oncoming cyclists

I suppose they'd be great for daytime use in those hellholes where you need a Dinotte not to get run over
    Fred Blasdel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Colinmclelland View Post
    I've found the Sp dynamo hubs to be very smooth and maintenance free.

For light, I think Kerry from Klite in Australia makes awesome stuff
    Bought my SP hub from Kerry, didn't realise he makes his own lights too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wheel build came in early from the LBS, to go with the lights from xxcycle (arrived in 5 days from France!) so I finally wired everything up tonight and had a test ride. So far, so good-- excited to put some more miles on!

Final built is:
    Wheel: Shimano DH-3N80 32h, DT double-butted, H+Son Archetype
    Front light: B&M Lumotec IQ Cyo N Plus (175QNDI)
    Rear light: B&M Secula Plus
    Credit again to Saab, Fred, and others for the knowledge base-- love this place.

Photos of the build

Particularly proud of the red zip ties, will probably rig the front wiring similarly, 100% class . Got the fender-mount Secula rear light, but decided against mounting on the current SKS fender for now, since I have some winter plans to spray some Berthouds to match the frame, but it's not that cold yet... Improvised mount made out of a bent spoke seems surprisingly secure so far!

One question: is the standlight on the Secula Plus 'always-on', or is it supposed to be controlled a the front light switch? Right now, the switch on the front is only controlling the front standlight-- not sure if that could be a wiring issue or what...
    Tamaso Johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tamaso View Post
    One question: is the standlight on the Secula Plus 'always-on', or is it supposed to be controlled a the front light switch? Right now, the switch on the front is only controlling the front standlight-- not sure if that could be a wiring issue or what...
    That is indeed how it works on everything but Supernova. The lead from the headlight is straight AC from the hub, controlled by the same switch.

Most taillights have no controls, but the B&M Toplight Line Plus taillights have the unique feature of an off button (not a switch) that cancels the standlight, leaving the capacitor ready to go when the bike starts moving again
    Fred Blasdel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw this review from Ed in DC and thought it might add to the discussion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the newer SP 9 series hubs look interesting, maybe that will be my next dynohub.

I've heard enough horror stories about SON that I'm not sure I want to get one now

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SignatureJustin View Post
    I just saw David Wilcox from Rapha today and he has a SP hub, it's looking like the way to go.

Anyone have any luck with the Supernova lights, they make a 640 lumens version that seems to be solid.
    I've used the Supernova E3 Pro for three years and it has been flawless. I've ridden throughout national parks in the dark with no street lights and heavy rain. It has been more than enough light to see anything in front of me. I think of the E3 Pro as really an enduro mtb headlight so you must angle them down if you use them on the road. The E3 Pro also has excellent capacity. It will stay on with good light for many minutes even if you are not moving.

I also have a B&M Lumotec IQ and a B&M Eyc on other bikes. They are all excellent and a lot cheaper. The Lumotec IQ is a good all rounder. The Eyc is very small and light and looks great on a road bike but is probably not the best headlight for riding in pitch black conditions.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345